Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #61
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayers View Post
all very good points.

I'm with jake though, give him the remainder of his contract to prove he can get over the hump. Is that not fair to you?
I'm good with that but keep in mind the changes that are occurring in the sports industry. 3 years is a long tine. I mean we have kids challenging the one and done rule, kids going to Europe for a year, FBI probes. Lots of things can happen.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #62
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Jake I enjoy the games win or lose. Of course I want to win them all but what matters for me is Student athletes, graduation rates, Kids who represent the university well and help add value to the degree each person receives. Not looking for a win at all cost program. I buy my tickets and support the program and the school. When I get to the point I don't enjoy it I'll find something else to do with my time and money.

Now if there is someone else out there who can win a few more and give me the things I mentioned I'll support them but as I mentioned before, the administration better get it right if they want my support. I won't be trying to hear we tried. Competing for Conference titles, league titles and having 30 win seasons and making the dance every year plus staying within the rules are not everyday accomplishments. Especially using true student athletes who graduate and are as good character wise as Gary Clark and others. I enjoy rooting for those kind of kids. I have a personal interest in those kind of kids because I have two in my family. Being a true student athlete is not as easy as some may think. Balancing travel, practice and study time is not a piece of cake. Now if the administration and fan base want to roll the dice with a new hire so be it. As I mentioned earlier if they want my continual support they better get it right. We missed the boat on conference affiliation and to this point our investment in our Football program has not produced to the level of the dollars we invested. You and others want to hold Mick accountable I'm down with that but he isn't the only person who I have standards set for. He was 11 minutes away from kicking the door down. The administration is a lot farther away from putting this program in a position all the fans seem to want. He also did a bunch of heavy lifting in the fund raising department for the renovations all while playing second fiddle to a football program that has little or know fan interest.
Waite, we COMPLETELY AGREE on the majority of what you say here. There's a level you go to though where we part ways a bit. Basically the post of mine you were responding to says it. And I'd venture to guess that you are in the minority in the fan base when you take it as far as saying you enjoy the program win or lose.

There are no sacred cows in my world. If Larry Davis gets paid more than any assistant in the Big 12, and in the 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 classes combined he has only contributed 1 Top 250 player (Tre Scott #236), and only 2 players overall, it's time for me to start asking questions. He's a great man. Seems like a truly good person. That's great. But as far as the job he is getting paid a buttload of money to perform in, he hasn't been up to the task for several years now. I won't succumb to the pressure from some that requires people to keep their mouths shut and accept whatever we are given and be happy about it. If he can't land the players, time to move him along. Like I said in a post a week or so ago, he's the only person in our program who has no ambitions of growing into a better position. That doesn't jive with our culture. And for being the 2nd highest paid guy in the program, I think we should expect better. His old school, "we need soldiers" mentality is the opposite of what I'd like to see/hear in 2018. I questions if the game has passed him by. And if he isn't landing recruits on top of it? Might be part of the problem. The idea that everyone we have just has a guaranteed job for life is silly. If he was doing such a great job, then why doesn't anyone else ever come calling for him? Maybe we find out that no one else we would bring in could do better. But at least we'd find out instead of just assuming that to be the case.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #63
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Schools reach out every year. He has his agent tell them no thanks and that's the end of it. That stuff isn't going to make the news because all it does it make the school that called look bad. If Mick left UC, he'd have another high major job in the blink of an eye...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #64
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
Schools reach out every year. He has his agent tell them no thanks and that's the end of it. That stuff isn't going to make the news because all it does it make the school that called look bad. If Mick left UC, he'd have another high major job in the blink of an eye...
Not surprised by this at all.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:04 PM   #65
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
I have zero doubt that he would be coaching in a P5 conference.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #66
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Waite, we COMPLETELY AGREE on the majority of what you say here. There's a level you go to though where we part ways a bit. Basically the post of mine you were responding to says it. And I'd venture to guess that you are in the minority in the fan base when you take it as far as saying you enjoy the program win or lose.

There are no sacred cows in my world. If Larry Davis gets paid more than any assistant in the Big 12, and in the 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 classes combined he has only contributed 1 Top 250 player (Tre Scott #236), and only 2 players overall, it's time for me to start asking questions. He's a great man. Seems like a truly good person. That's great. But as far as the job he is getting paid a buttload of money to perform in, he hasn't been up to the task for several years now. I won't succumb to the pressure from some that requires people to keep their mouths shut and accept whatever we are given and be happy about it. If he can't land the players, time to move him along. Like I said in a post a week or so ago, he's the only person in our program who has no ambitions of growing into a better position. That doesn't jive with our culture. And for being the 2nd highest paid guy in the program, I think we should expect better. His old school, "we need soldiers" mentality is the opposite of what I'd like to see/hear in 2018. I questions if the game has passed him by. And if he isn't landing recruits on top of it? Might be part of the problem. The idea that everyone we have just has a guaranteed job for life is silly. If he was doing such a great job, then why doesn't anyone else ever come calling for him? Maybe we find out that no one else we would bring in could do better. But at least we'd find out instead of just assuming that to be the case.
I think part of what drives my thought process as to what I expect out of a program is driven by my experiences. First I am probably one of the few who post here that remember the real glory years. We went to 5 NCAA final 4's in a row. Players went to class, stayed 4 years and got a degree. Then UC was known for its Engineering program and not the success on the court. We have gotten way beyond those days and I'm not sure it is a good thing. Mick does a great job delivering a lot of what I look for in a program under very challenging conditions. Give me a little more success in the NCAA and I will be thrilled. Guys that deliver those results don't grow on trees.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:20 PM   #67
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Like UNLV??

Cronin most likely tells other schools that he will not leave because of his daughter and not wanting to leave her and Hep...
Old 04-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #68
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think part of what drives my thought process as to what I expect out of a program is driven by my experiences. First I am probably one of the few who post here that remember the real glory years. We went to 5 NCAA final 4's in a row. Players went to class, stayed 4 years and got a degree. Then UC was known for its Engineering program and not the success on the court. We have gotten way beyond those days and I'm not sure it is a good thing. Mick does a great job delivering a lot of what I look for in a program under very challenging conditions. Give me a little more success in the NCAA and I will be thrilled. Guys that deliver those results don't grow on trees.
Did Oscar stay 4 years???
Old 04-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #69
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Did Oscar stay 4 years???
yes he did and freshman didn't play varsity in those days.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #70
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
yes he did and freshman didn't play varsity in those days.
That's always so funny to me. Oscar as a FR not being allowed to dominate.