Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-21-2019, 09:52 PM   #71
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Although he didnt play a big role down the stretch, Cane made some big shots to jump start our 23-7 run to end the first half and some other shots early in our 28-15 run to end the game.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:26 PM   #72
cliftonballer

cliftonballer is on a distinguished road
Great team win! Bearcat style with grit and determination. BTW, The reason why Jarron had an off night is because he is worn out from getting freaking assaulted all year. UCF is a very physical and big team, too. I have NEVER seen a player get so egregiously fouled nearly every offensive possession Jarron's on the floor. But since he's built like a tank and we have a "Cincinnati" on our chest it's much ado about nothing. Allen played good D on him tonight but it's not that hard when you can be as physical as you want with little fear of a foul being called against you when guarding Cumberland. I saw him get mugged hard twice in one damn possession in the 1st half with zero whistle. The kid's getting worn out because he's our main stallion and he has to basically engage in hand-to-hand combat then try to play basketball also. That's why he's an all-time Bearcat great and one of my favorites. Speaks softly for the most part and carries a huge stick. What he's done this season is remarkable with how hard he's had to work to get open and score at the clip he has while getting fouled left and right in the process. Especially being the main focal point of our offense. He brings swagger and toughness like we haven't seen in a long time. That's why we've been winning this year because we have a true alpha dog on our team that will never back down and certainly won't be bullied or disrespected on the court.
cliftonballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:03 PM   #73
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
I never thought we'd win a game turning it over like we did.

Defense was a lot different tonight style wise. Way more ball pressure and aggressive full court traps. It really bothered UCF all game, but the defense did allow UCF to shoot a nice percentage from 2 and 3.

Nice win. Mostly just happy Keith's injury looks minor
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:10 AM   #74
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
I never thought we'd win a game turning it over like we did.

Defense was a lot different tonight style wise. Way more ball pressure and aggressive full court traps. It really bothered UCF all game, but the defense did allow UCF to shoot a nice percentage from 2 and 3.

Nice win. Mostly just happy Keith's injury looks minor
It wasn't an "injury". He took a knee from Tacko to the testicles...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:30 AM   #75
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
the defense is better than the offense again after that game.

nice to see a game where broome got us out of the muck early, hit some big mid range shots for us in the 2nd half, then jenifer brought it home the last 5 minutes.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:54 AM   #76
HarryBosch

HarryBosch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
It wasn't an "injury". He took a knee from Tacko to the testicles...
A Tacko knee to the jewels is more than minor.
HarryBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:34 AM   #77
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Because of Tacko UCF was able to play Jarron super tight on the perimeter and Jarron had to adjust a floater that he can usually make (although he hasn't been super efficient with it). Now he has to put that up in the air about a foot higher and it's a tough adjustment when you have a floater already patented. Should have had one of his shots as a goal tend call without a doubt. Don't know what the refs were thinking on that one. It was still impressive watching Fall go up to get that one at the peak. Kudos to Allen for playing an outstanding defensive game on Cumberland...regardless of Tacko.

I think Cane had the right idea to stay back and hit the mid range jumper. Should have been a game for Scott to hit some of those.

What about Jenifer giving up almost 2 feet to Fall for the super high tear drop? Big play there when we needed it.

Williams continues to make shots when they count including his FT's. His confidence in big moments is a huge plus. He seems to relish that moment when we have seen players in the past opt to let someone else handle it.

One thing we have been as a team so far has been CLUTCH and that was not always a big trait for players under Cronin. Cumberland has been HUGE in taking pressure off of other players...but they are answering the call when we need it.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:51 AM   #78
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
the defense is better than the offense again after that game.

nice to see a game where broome got us out of the muck early, hit some big mid range shots for us in the 2nd half, then jenifer brought it home the last 5 minutes.
It's good to see the defense improving. We are checking off one box at a time. If we can put it all together down the stretch we have a chance to make a little run.

One of the last things I want to see is to improve decision making and reduce our bonehead plays. That is easier said than done. How do we improve the mental focus? I guess Cronin just has to keep watching film with the team and teaching when their decisions were suspect. We didn't have to do that with Clark and Evans really...they already knew what a smart play or dumb play looked like.

We have to maximize our possessions. A dumb shot is as good as a turnover. I would not say we are super bad at it but we need some improvement there. Williams probably took a few bad shots early on and those possessions cost us a bit. Cumberland went in too far and had his shot affected by Tacko. Some lazy turnovers. Eliel rescued a ball going OB off of UCF. ETc. Just clean that stuff up and we can do some real damage.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:39 AM   #79
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
I gotta say it, I thought the crowd was pretty darn good last night. That had to help.

I knew 3's would be the key to winning, but I thought we'd get more out of cumberland. If kids are going to be allowed to body him up and slap at the ball like that with a shot blocker waiting at the rim...Cumberland is going to struggle. I like how he kept playing.

Was impressed with Cane really jump starting us. Williams attacking in the 2nd. Brooks played tough D. And Jenifer stepping up down the stretch. Scott's 3 was first of all finally a good 3 for him to take and clutch as well.

Was frustrating at times, but still a lot of fun for such a low scoring game!
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:56 AM   #80
beeman7467

beeman7467 is on a distinguished road
That team has ugly game written all over them. Kinda what I expected, and a nice win. Easy to get frustrated if you Cumberland, but he kept playing. Assist to Jennifer near the end of game was sweet. Waited for the defender to suck in and found the open man. A lot of players would have just forced a shot there.
beeman7467 is offline   Reply With Quote