Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 06-04-2019, 07:35 AM   #1421
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Williams and Tre handles below average to non existent, I highly doubt either push pace dribbling. Cumberland has shaky handles at best, he very seldom was asked bring ball up under pressure. Going out getting two PGs more likely knowing Jaevin was coming let's us know coach seen we needed help bad ball handling. It was one of his biggest improvements he wanted see from team was basic ball handling.
I don't know. Yes we always need ball handlers but I think McNeal is a backup plan and MAW is a future plan.

I am not comfortable with either Cumberland or Williams breaking a press on their own...but I don't mind any of them rotating and initiating the half court offense. So we will have to see what happens when we get full court press on us. McNeal may have to come in. I would be surprised if he is a starter or gets starter minutes.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:22 AM   #1422
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
I think Mcneal is going to see significant minutes. MAW too (for a FR).

In today's modern college basketball you can get away from running a true PF, true C but you will get murdered without a true PG.

I think our best starting 5 is: Mcneal, JCx2, Williams, Scott with Diarra, MAW, Davenport, Gillam getting respectable minutes.

Diarra hasn't shown me enough to think he starts.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:33 AM   #1423
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
I think there's a good chance Jaevin plays starter-like minutes (~25/game) but whether he starts or not remains to be seen.

I could see a starting line-up of McNeal, Jarron, Williams, Scott and Sorolla but Jaevin and Diarra end up getting more minutes than McNeal and Sorolla.

If Jarron picks up a foul early in the game, throw in Jaevin right away. If McNeal misses a few open shots, have Jaevin take his place. If Sorolla struggles to guard a smaller, quicker center, throw Diarra in and possibly move Scott over to the 5.

Lots of options for in-game adjustments if we have some of our more versatile players come off the bench.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #1424
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
I think Mcneal is going to see significant minutes. MAW too (for a FR).

In today's modern college basketball you can get away from running a true PF, true C but you will get murdered without a true PG.

I think our best starting 5 is: Mcneal, JCx2, Williams, Scott with Diarra, MAW, Davenport, Gillam getting respectable minutes.

Diarra hasn't shown me enough to think he starts.
I don’t think Tre Scott is a good enough rebounder to play a 4 guard lineup around him is the only problem, other than him kw will be the only other solid rebounder on the floor, defensively I don’t see this lineup working a whole lot, offensively I could see it
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:05 AM   #1425
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
I don’t think Tre Scott is a good enough rebounder to play a 4 guard lineup around him is the only problem, other than him kw will be the only other solid rebounder on the floor, defensively I don’t see this lineup working a whole lot, offensively I could see it

defensive rebounding is important to brannen and not only is scott not a great one, none of the guards are good rebounders. KW is NOT a good rebounder defensively. his DR% was barely higher than jenifer and broome.

jarron is alright for a sg, but he's nowhere near what Parker was, and nobody else is even close to what jarron is.

its going to be interesting to see how brannen works around this.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #1426
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
I think there's a good chance Jaevin plays starter-like minutes (~25/game) but whether he starts or not remains to be seen.

I could see a starting line-up of McNeal, Jarron, Williams, Scott and Sorolla but Jaevin and Diarra end up getting more minutes than McNeal and Sorolla.

If Jarron picks up a foul early in the game, throw in Jaevin right away. If McNeal misses a few open shots, have Jaevin take his place. If Sorolla struggles to guard a smaller, quicker center, throw Diarra in and possibly move Scott over to the 5.

Lots of options for in-game adjustments if we have some of our more versatile players come off the bench.

Jaevin could start over KW. He's a better player. KW 2nd half wasn't that great.

Jaevin probably didn't come here to be a 6th man. He could have gone other places and started, he's probably our 2nd best player, he's going to start I would have to think.

Brannen has no loyalty to KW like Mick would.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:51 AM   #1427
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

One of the main reasons we were looking for a good SG is so that they can be on the court with Jarron and shoot the kickouts. We don't have any other reliable accurate shooter on the roster (as far as we know). Jaevin is not going to be nearly as effective with Jarron off the court. But McNeal would probably be okay if Jarron was not on the court.

I think you have to play the two Cumberland's together as much as possible
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:57 AM   #1428
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
Just my opinion, there is no way Keith Williams does not start. If all the Cumberland movement would not have happened, Williams would be the face of the program with the highest ceiling.
No one has been more aggressive, to the point he will dunk on you in the Cronin era than Williams for players 6'5 and under. That speaks volumes to the type of fearless player he is. You can't teach that.The last 2 years of Keith have been like driving a stick, wrapped around the notion of "I might be coming out" No that we've switched coaches, I think we can say bye bye to the stick driving version of Keith, to the automatic drive Keith. I also saw a comment about rebounding in regard to Keith...Come on man, I thought his rebounding was superb, outside of %'s due to game situations, and playing time scenarios. I must have been watching a different Keith Williams...IJS
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:57 AM   #1429
Vanhoop

Vanhoop is on a distinguished road
Starters PG Mcneal SG Jarron C Forward Tre Scott I guarantee these 3 starters. But will it be Keith or Jaevin on the other guard spot??? One or the other will be the super 6 man with lots of minutes clearly. As for the 5th starter a forward but not sure who yet.
Vanhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #1430
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I don't think Jaevin is coming here to come off the bench when he could of went to Oregon or Michigan and started.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote