Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2013 Recruiting Profiles

Old 11-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #21
Hicks' Guns

Hicks' Guns is on a distinguished road
Not terribly concerned about big men...yet. Beyond this season, I think Rubles, Nyarsuk and Jackson are promising for next year.

But beyond that, we have Gaines and this dude. I have zero hope for Gaines. I'm sure Mick is focused on re-loading and the recruiting effort is obviously there. But he may have to rely on cobbling together more jr. college transfers. I don't doubt his ability to do that. I think this is what separates us from the consistent top 10-15 programs...the ability to get the cream of the crop big men. Hopefully Mick can make the jump at some point. My sense is he's on the right track but it just takes time and is very challenging (and our facilities don't help).
Hicks' Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #22
bearcat18
Elite Member

bearcat18 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnivCincy View Post
So, he's coming off of a traumatic ACL injury and is taking a prep year at Queen City Prep (NC), ranked 12th nationally, ahead of traditional power schools like St. Anthony (NJ), Montverde (FL), and Simeon (IL) [rankings courtesy of: http://recruitdirt.com/2012/11/05/20...ded/#more-946].

From what I've seen on Youtube, and from what I've read elsewhere, here are the positives: good size and a decent left hook.

Am I missing anything? Who is this guy? It's hard to find any stats about him, and against the smaller and weaker competition that he's faced in Oakland (See: Youtube), he's relatively unimpressive. Is this what our program has been reduced to, settling for players who are offered by the likes of Houston and Missouri State (no offense to Houston or Missouri State, but these programs aren't competing on our level)? As I think BearcatJeff (?) pointed out in his forum conversation on recruiting big men, is this a trend that should worry us fans? What's more, is this a sign that we're out of the Lawrence sweepstakes, or is Strickland a legitimate find who can play behind Lawrence and develop, so long as Lawrence stays in school? I always will put faith in Mick (he's brought us this far), but our inability to land a well-documented, quality big man is disconcerting.
There's no stats or information on him because he missed his whole junior year and half of his senior year because of his ACL. You point the video on Youtube. You realize he had 22, 10, and 5 that game right? Not to mention that that was one of his first games back from the injury. He's dropped a lot of weight since that video, and thus his mobility has improved. He still has good size but isn't as hefty.

I understand we all want the top 100 guys, but can we please wait till we see the kid play to judge him? Just because there's not much highlights/buzz or information on him doesn't mean he can't play.
bearcat18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #23
Cpaw

Cpaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat18 View Post
There's no stats or information on him because he missed his whole junior year and half of his senior year because of his ACL. You point the video on Youtube. You realize he had 22, 10, and 5 that game right? Not to mention that that was one of his first games back from the injury. He's dropped a lot of weight since that video, and thus his mobility has improved. He still has good size but isn't as hefty.

I understand we all want the top 100 guys, but can we please wait till we see the kid play to judge him? Just because there's not much highlights/buzz or information on him doesn't mean he can't play.
I agree. Find a kid who is 6'10" and 240 lbs and is "excited" to play in the 4 out 1 in offense is a great thing. Big kid who wants to run the floor, I am excited to see this kid!

Fortune Favors the Bold
Cpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #24
rallie25

rallie25 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat18 View Post

Agree 100%! He looks no different the Chris Perry but BIGGER.
rallie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #25
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
He played on a top 5 AAU team on the west coast pre-injury so he has some ability. He apparently has some real upside now that he has lost so much weight and is in better shape. A guy that can shoot out to 15', has a go to move on the inside with his jump hook, high bb iq, with a work ethic and size. Mick and Coach Davis were obviously sold that he had recovered enough from his acl injury and had what they needed.

I think having Nyarsuk, Jackson, Rubles next season, and Gaines showing some progress, made this possible to do.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #26
Bearcat04
Elite Member

Bearcat04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
He played on a top 5 AAU team on the west coast pre-injury so he has some ability. He apparently has some real upside now that he has lost so much weight and is in better shape. A guy that can shoot out to 15', has a go to move on the inside with his jump hook, high bb iq, with a work ethic and size. Mick and Coach Davis were obviously sold that he had recovered enough from his acl injury and had what they needed.

I think having Nyarsuk, Jackson, Rubles next season, and Gaines showing some progress, made this possible to do.
That's how I see it too. When you are building a program with 4-year players not everyone of them has to be an immediate impact player.
Bearcat04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #27
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
I don't know if saying Mick is settling for this guy is fair or not, but with the trend of good big men waiting around to commit to the best school possible it would be foolish to play the waiting game with them and lose out again and again. We have Gaines only for 2014. Nyarsuk kind of fell in our lap with his school shutting down the bball program. If Mick sees enough of this guy to offer at this point I am happy with that. I know most are critical of Mick for not landing big men, but reality is what it is. I'd rather him be proactive in signing a player now who has the intangibles than lose out.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #28
Lobot

Lobot will become famous soon enough
Ralph, do you have any information that Strickland might be the next KMart? I'm not asking to be a jerk. I actually think you might be right as long as he can stay healthy and we don't agree very often.

I don't think this was a reach by Mick. It's win/win. He got a good talent with height when everyone had given up. It's a bit like betting with a scholly. If he's great, you look like gold. If he's not great. You have a backup center for 4(5 RS)? years.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #29
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Fits the mold of a UC recruit-both Mick and Huggins like to take under-the-radar players like this and turn them into great players. Hopefully, he is only a 1 or 2 year project, not the 4 years it will take Gaines.
JumpinJack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #30
Bearcat22
Elite Member

Bearcat22 is on a distinguished road
I found this article on scout, not premium content, or anything to new. Seems like a good kid though. Looks like he's adjusted well moving across the country. That speaks to his maturity.

http://saintjosephs.scout.com/2/1204167.html

Mick has a talent for finding these under the radar type of guys. This seems like the type of player that normally ends up at a mid-major, because of the injuries, and in 2-3 years is creating havoc for opponents in the NCAA tournament.
Bearcat22 is offline   Reply With Quote