Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2015 Recruiting Profiles

Old 02-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
JackBauer151
Epic Member

JackBauer151 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JackBauer151
'15 OH PF Esa Ahmad

Corey Evans ‏@coreyevans_10
Per his father, '15 Shaker Heights (OH) Esa Ahmad is hearing the most from Maryland, WVU, Clemson, Rutgers, Michigan, KState, Lville & Cinci
JackBauer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
JackBauer151
Epic Member

Ranked 51st in the 2015 class by ESPN.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
JackBauer151
Epic Member

Here are some videos......

Old 02-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
JackBauer151
Epic Member

By David Cassilo, Northeast Ohio Media Group
on February 10, 2014 2 p.m.

Email
SHAKER HEIGHTS, Ohio – It was around the fifth grade when Esa Ahmad began making a name for himself on the basketball court. He caught the attention of most people, including Shaker Heights coach Danny Young.

What Young saw was a kid with great hands and footwork, who could score in the paint and had great touch at the foul line. When he put it all together, Young knew there was a special player coming up through Shaker Heights' system.

“I was amazed at how quickly you knew a kid was going to be a varsity player,” Young said.

Now in his junior year, Ahmad has lived up to his potential. He’s averaging 27.2 points and 11.6 rebounds per game. In January, ESPN ranked Ahmad the 51st best player in the country for the Class of 2015. He was unranked beforehand.

As his stock rises, Ahmad just keeps his head down and focuses on winning games.

“I just try to go out there and play my game and let the game talk for me,” Ahmad said.

Ahmad does it all for Shaker Heights. In addition to points and rebounds, his 3.1 assists, 2.1 steals and 1.8 blocks per game lead the team (all stats through Feb.6).

The Raiders (15-4) are No. 2 in the cleveland.com Top 25, and on Tuesday, they play host to No. 1 St. Edward (16-1).

Ahmad, who is 6-foot-7, was born into a basketball family. His mother, Sherray, and his father, Ibrahim, both played the game in high school. They were the ones who first helped him along his basketball career.

“The first thing I told him when he was younger was to work on his footwork and the interior,” said Ibrahim Ahmad. “The outside will come but if you work on the interior, you can always go to it.”

While Ahmad spent most of his younger days in the post, he can now play around the perimeter. It’s caught the attention of college coaches.

“West Virginia is recruiting him the hardest,” Young said. “[Coach] Bob Huggins said if he commits, he’ll start him at shooting guard.”

Among the schools joining West Virginia in pursuit of Ahmad are Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa State, Maryland, Xavier, Miami (Fla.), Clemson and Rutgers.

Ahmad’s maturation continued as a freshman for Shaker Heights, when he played alongside Terry Rozier. The current Louisville guard was a senior at the time for the Raiders and took Ahmad under his wing.

“Terry was like a big brother to him,” said Ibrahim Ahmad. “He taught him how to deal with being the top guy on the team.”

Rozier has also helped Ahmad through the recruiting process, and that’s paying off now.

“I saw what he would go through,” Ahmad said. “I just learned from him and took in what I can.”

But it isn’t just Ahmad’s versatility that makes him an attractive recruit. His body has transformed since his freshman year, when he realized he needed to make a change.

“It was my first year going against older, tougher guys so I saw what it took to be at their level,” Ahmad said.

Ahmad has a workout routine that includes weightlifting, jumping rope, yoga and conditioning. He came into this season with more strength than he has ever had before.

“Last year when all the colleges would get to the gym, they would leave saying that you need to work on your body,” Young said. “I don’t hear that comment anymore.”

But there’s one aspect of Ahmad’s body no work in the weight room can help. If Ahmad is to continue shooting up national recruiting lists, he’ll have to get a little taller.

“With him, it’s all about size,” said ESPN recruiting coordinator John Stovall. “For every inch he grows, he goes a higher level.”

Ahmad plans on making a college decision in the summer. Now, though, all of the focus is on guiding the Raiders to a state title.

After losing to eventual state champion Mentor in last season’s regional final, Ahmad is hungrier than ever for a trip to Columbus.

"The day after last season ended, Esa and his father sent me a picture of him in the weight room," Young said.

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...ideo/#comments
Old 02-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
JackBauer151
Epic Member

Indiana and Iowa State trying to get heavily involved. Kid is racking up offers.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
JackBauer151
Epic Member

Kid continues rise.....

Hoopniks ‏@Hoopniks
6'-8" 2015 forward Esa Ahmad of Shaker Heights (OH) had 37 points and 10 rebounds in a district final win.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
I like him. I do not want him to end up at WVU or MIchigan or OSU for that matter. Time UC reels in some top in state talent on a regular basis.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #8
JackBauer151
Epic Member

Has really moved up the UC board and rightfully so. He and Doral Moore are two guys they are trying to really build a solid foundation with. Huggy Bear is the leader at this point I think but a lot of time left.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Indiana has offered him.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #10
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

A 6-foot-7 product of Cleveland (Ohio) Shaker Heights, Ahmad doesn't wow with crazy athletic ability, but his feel for the game, rebounding and overall skill level do catch your eye. More and more, college coaches want guys who are willing to sell out for their teammates on both ends of the floor and from what I've seen of Ahmad, he fits that description. He can also make an open jumper and I expect him to draw quite a coaching crowd when he plays in the Sacramento leg of Nike's EYBL with All Ohio Red in late April.

Others who have already offered include Maryland, Cincinnati, Rutgers, West Virginia, Kansas State, Iowa State and Miami. Before things are all said and done, I expect that Ahmad will net more high major scholarship offers and he is on his way into the 2015 rankings.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...sp?CID=1618498