Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-27-2017, 09:09 PM   #311
Bearcat513
Elite Member

Bearcat513 is on a distinguished road
I think it's important Washington and Clark shoot 3's when they are open and when it makes sense. The latter part of that sentence being key. Too many times this season we were letting the team go on a run ( Waite, I am going off of recollection here but I think it happened in the 2H of the UCLA game) and Washington took a 3 too early in the shot clock. That's not the shot we need, nor wanted, in that situation.

But when there's 5-10 seconds left on the clock and the ball ends up in Washington or Clark's hands, and they are open, they should shoot it. They have a good chance of making it. The defense will have to honor that next time and, especially for Gary, he can use a pump fake to drive to the rim.
Bearcat513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:05 AM   #312
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat513 View Post
I think it's important Washington and Clark shoot 3's when they are open and when it makes sense. The latter part of that sentence being key. Too many times this season we were letting the team go on a run ( Waite, I am going off of recollection here but I think it happened in the 2H of the UCLA game) and Washington took a 3 too early in the shot clock. That's not the shot we need, nor wanted, in that situation.

But when there's 5-10 seconds left on the clock and the ball ends up in Washington or Clark's hands, and they are open, they should shoot it. They have a good chance of making it. The defense will have to honor that next time and, especially for Gary, he can use a pump fake to drive to the rim.
Have no problem with them taking a three. My issue was he said Coach told him not to shoot. I asked him if he had knowledge of such and he didn't. He based his assumption off his recollection of what he saw in the games. I provided some stats indicating that he actually shot more threes in the last half of the season then first. How we got here is anyone's guess.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:43 AM   #313
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Anybody concerned about our defense next year. With the way teams spread the floor nowadays stopping dribble drive penetration is huge. Offenses are now geared to have wings that can knock down the 3 and lightning quick PG's who can get to the rim or kick out for the open look. We will be very small at the PG. Washington needs work and is not a real good rim protector. Gary and Evans are both very good defensively, Cumberland was much better then I thought and will get better going forward.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:45 AM   #314
bearcat81

bearcat81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Anybody concerned about our defense next year. With the way teams spread the floor nowadays stopping dribble drive penetration is huge. Offenses are now geared to have wings that can knock down the 3 and lightning quick PG's who can get to the rim or kick out for the open look. We will be very small at the PG. Washington needs work and is not a real good rim protector. Gary and Evans are both very good defensively, Cumberland was much better then I thought and will get better going forward.
As we saw this year, if Washington can't figure it out, then Brooks and Scott will see a lot more minutes.
bearcat81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:48 AM   #315
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat81 View Post
As we saw this year, if Washington can't figure it out, then Brooks and Scott will see a lot more minutes.
I'm very hopeful Brooks and Scott will take a step forward next year. I do hope Kyle figures it out because he is much better offensively then the other two. Need him on the floor.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #316
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Have no problem with them taking a three. My issue was he said Coach told him not to shoot. I asked him if he had knowledge of such and he didn't. He based his assumption off his recollection of what he saw in the games. I provided some stats indicating that he actually shot more threes in the last half of the season then first. How we got here is anyone's guess.
I don't know why you are basing your stats on first half vs last half of season because that wasn't the time frame I was talking about.

Do I think Cronin told him not to shoot at all? Probably not. Do I think Cronin may have placed restrictions on when, where, or why he could shoot 3's? Maybe.

The whole point was I saw Kyle passing up OPEN shots from 3 that he didn't earlier in the year. Many of those were earlier in the clock. You may not have seen it but that's okay.

I just thought for much of the year Kyle had a very good % and I saw him pass up shots that I....and I want to stress I...would have rather seen him shoot based on his %. Sometimes Kyle makes bad decisions from both 2 and 3 when he either wasn't in a set position or when on the block he was double teamed and could have kicked it back out. I believe there was a point in the season where Cronin intimated that he wanted Kyle to kick the ball out more (ala Clark) when it wasn't there...rather than try to shoot every time he got it. I don't know why it would be such a revelation that coach may have done something similar with his 3 shots.

I don't think Kyle ever really fell in love with the 3 any more than he fell in love with shooting the ball from anywhere. He loves to shoot and sometimes he should not. My preference is that Kyle shoots when he is open. Cronin may prefer working the ball a little more to see if we can get a look from inside IDK. It certainly appeared that way in some of the closing games of the season...but who knows...maybe Kyle restricted himself. I just don't think it's as likely (as the coach restricting him) since he loves shooting the ball. But like I said earlier...I could be wrong. Just my opinion and observation.

Last edited by waterhead; 03-28-2017 at 09:11 AM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #317
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm very hopeful Brooks and Scott will take a step forward next year. I do hope Kyle figures it out because he is much better offensively then the other two. Need him on the floor.
I think if Brooks works real hard in the off season he can earn some serious minutes. I really think Scott will have to go the route of beefing up and trying to find an interior game based on the perimeter players we will have on the roster. Both of these guys I think can be excellent defenders. They just need to polish their offense skills for one more season.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #318
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Washington made a few poor decisions by shooting 3's when he shouldn't have but there came a point in time late in the season when it looked as if he was banned from shooting them. I didn't get this strategy since Kyle was knocking down 40%+ on the year. I don't care if there are other guards in practice knocking down a higher % than Kyle...if he makes them in games...let him shoot when he's open. All of our guards/wings are allowed to shoot when open. Kyle had a better % than most of them. If he's wide freaking open...let him shoot the 3!
He was not banned
Old 03-28-2017, 09:37 AM   #319
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Kyle shot 43% from 3 for his first 29 games when he was allowed to select his shots. He was 0-7 for the last 7 games ending at 36% when the decision was taken from him. I do think he made a few bad decisions on the year from 3 but I think the message could have been more effectively communicated to him to allow him to continue to choose wiser decisions. I think out guards made bad selections at times too but the impact is unfairly magnified when a BIG makes the decision.

I think the decision to NOT allow him to shoot when he thought it was appropriate really killed his natural instinct and confidence. It's a fine line to let a player know when it's okay to shoot and basically telling them not to.
You had no idea if he was even given a message. You were speculating or assuming. You even reference how it was communicated. This is the 1thing I have a issue with.

If you want to sayhe should shoot more so be it.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:59 AM   #320
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Lol. Nope!
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote