Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What seed will UC get?
1-2 9 14.52%
3 27 43.55%
4 15 24.19%
5 9 14.52%
6 2 3.23%
7 or worse 0 0%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2018, 10:01 AM   #511
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Look I’m all about teams being punished for losing but unc has a whopping 14 tier 1 wins.

That’s 9 more than Xavier. 5 more than nova and 3 more than Virginia.

If they win the ACC tourney, I have zero issues with them pushing Xavier out of the 1 seed.

They’ve faultered in some dumb games but they are 14-7 in tier 1 games and have a proven track record of beating the best teams in the country
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #512
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Torvik's bracketology has now dropped us to a 3 seed. We've been passed by Michigan. I think it has to do with the teams right around the 75 cut line, where things did not go our way. Tulsa and UCF are both out of the top 75, and Maryland is just barely in. Purdue, Michigan, and Michigan St all won at Maryland so it's a Group 1 win for them.

Again, I don't know how much this matters at this point. They're probably done talking about the B1G teams. I think Michigan is a 3. I've mentioned before that Michigan and Michigan St will be hurt by poor non-con SOS and only playing the top 5 conference teams once.

We're not likely to pass UNC, and Arizona is not likely to pass us. Tennessee and West Virginia are the only teams still playing that we are competing with. I think if we win today we stay ahead of them regardless. Even if one of Michigan, Tennessee, or WVU passes us, we still should get the top 3 seed and play close to home.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #513
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

In an interview after the Memphis game, Adam Zucker asked the committee VP if Cincinnati was a 2 seed. He replied something like "they are in a good position" while smiling and laughing. He added that we can improve our position. The usual vague replies, but seemed to confirm that we are a 2 right now. But he also said they will have contingencies ready to account for the AAC championship game.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #514
gav

gav is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
In an interview after the Memphis game, Adam Zucker asked the committee VP if Cincinnati was a 2 seed. He replied something like "they are in a good position" while smiling and laughing. He added that we can improve our position. The usual vague replies, but seemed to confirm that we are a 2 right now. But he also said they will have contingencies ready to account for the AAC championship game.
UC could potentially move up to a 1?
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:55 PM   #515
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gav View Post
UC could potentially move up to a 1?
I doubt it's possible for us to move to a one. If we would have won one of the Houston or WSU games we dropped maybe but not after we lost those 2
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:27 PM   #516
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Here's my opinion on our position:
If we win tomorrow we're a 2, and we pass Purdue to #7 on the seed list.
If we lose and Tennessee loses, we're the last 2 seed.
If we lose and Tennessee wins, we're the top 3 seed.

I think WVU would still be behind us even if they beat Kansas, but it would be close. We'd be fairly close to WVU and Michigan as 3 seeds, but comfortably ahead of Michigan St and Auburn. So I think we have clinched a 3 seed and avoided playing in Boise or San Diego.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:28 PM   #517
Defense first

Defense first is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Here's my opinion on our position:
If we win tomorrow we're a 2, and we pass Purdue to #7 on the seed list.
If we lose and Tennessee loses, we're the last 2 seed.
If we lose and Tennessee wins, we're the top 3 seed.

I think WVU would still be behind us even if they beat Kansas, but it would be close. We'd be fairly close to WVU and Michigan as 3 seeds, but comfortably ahead of Michigan St and Auburn. So I think we have clinched a 3 seed and avoided playing in Boise or San Diego.
What I gathered from the committee fella after the game was UC is a 2 seed, not sure how to take what he says, but almost seemed like we could possibly get a one seed. My guess is tomorrow will not hinder or hurt us. Think the committee and the nation for once it's understanding how good we are. So come selection Sunday, I will be shocked if we are not a 2 seed regardless of the game outcome vs Houston. What a really great year to be a Bearcats fan. But let's just put Houston and the man bun to bed. Confidence from winning both the regular and conference tournament can't be understated. They were saying that they don't like to adjust seed lines off of a single elimination tournament, unless your fighting on the tournament bubble. A 2 seed and not being on the West coast us what I'm expecting. Let's make a final for run, it's time. Bearcat time

Last edited by Defense first; 03-10-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Defense first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:47 AM   #518
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
I think we need to win to keep a 2 seed. Virginia, Villanova, UNC, X,Duke and Kansas are the top 6. That leaves two spots between UC, Tennessee and Purdue. If we lose Purdue moves ahead of us then it comes down to us or Tennessee. if we win and Tennessee wins we both stay ahead of Purdue. Thoughts???
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:21 AM   #519
Fullam33

Fullam33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
I think we need to win to keep a 2 seed. Virginia, Villanova, UNC, X,Duke and Kansas are the top 6. That leaves two spots between UC, Tennessee and Purdue. If we lose Purdue moves ahead of us then it comes down to us or Tennessee. if we win and Tennessee wins we both stay ahead of Purdue. Thoughts???
This seems the most logical. I wouldn't be surprised if we stayed at 2 even with a loss and and a Tenn win today. I think being the regular season champs will help us. But who knows... The committee is so hard to figure out when it comes to conference tournament games.

*Also want to point out a 3 seed plays in Nashville. I think Vols fan would be okay with that...

Last edited by Fullam33; 03-11-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Fullam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #520
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Agreed. I don't think there's any way we're sniffing a 1 seed. The only debate the committee will have is if we're a 2 or 3
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote