Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2018, 07:55 PM   #251
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
He needs to completely overhaul his shot. But based on how guys like Shaq Thomas and Titus Rubles went through here, I doubt that will happen. If he were to transfer, I think it'd be after next year. If we land this Fredericks guy and he's decent, he and Moore will take the minutes on the wing not occupied by Cumberland. There were key games where Williams didn't even get off the bench. And if his shooting is anything like it was this year, it won't get a whole lot better. Cronin has already decided he likes Moore better no matter what. It's going to be an uphill climb for Williams unless something changes.
Weren't you all about Williams being the better of the two at the end of the season? Lol
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:00 PM   #252
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayers View Post
I wouldn't say that was it, he was a strong driver to the basket, one of only 3 players on our team who could beat their man off the dribble. He tried too hard, in part, I think, because his minutes were so limited he felt he had to ball out to earn more. Moore got minutes because he apparently was a great defender and shooter. Good defender, below average shooter.
Someone mentioned it late in the season, eventually bill self had to give the minutes to Newman because he was the most talented for the spot and needed minutes to fulfill his potential. He was arguably their best player by years end.

I just think Cronin castrates players in pursuit of defensive perfection.
He was a bad shooter that wouldn't stop shooting. But yeah that's because mick beat him down...
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:15 PM   #253
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerOH View Post
I agree that Cronin takes confident players like Broome and Williams and beats them down to a point where they are so afraid to make a mistake that they are a shell of what they were or could be.
Lol people always say this and yet Sean Kilpatrick was developed completely in house and is a relentless scorer. Evans and Cumberland both have the ultimate green light.

The only thing Cronin maybe faulted for is not trusting his players quick enough. Cronin wanted his best players to shoot before any one else and I don’t blame him.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:20 PM   #254
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Weren't you all about Williams being the better of the two at the end of the season? Lol
Yes. Bc Moore couldn't help us at all.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:22 PM   #255
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Yes. Bc Moore couldn't help us at all.
The coach has already decided though. He prefers Moore.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #256
Nayers

Nayers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Lol people always say this and yet Sean Kilpatrick was developed completely in house and is a relentless scorer. Evans and Cumberland both have the ultimate green light.

The only thing Cronin maybe faulted for is not trusting his players quick enough. Cronin wanted his best players to shoot before any one else and I don’t blame him.
He was a relentless scorer in part because he was the ONLY scoring option his last two years. not saying he isn't a great scorer, but his leash was non existent because it was the only option Cronin had.

Look what jay wright did in the championship game. Divincinzo was hot, so he had things go through him. He was not the best player on Villanova, but it Won him a ship. Cronin would never have the balls to make a move like that. He'd force Jake to play point ISO and jack something up.

I just fear Cronin doesn't know how to find e mix between game plan and taking what the game gives you.
Nayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:23 PM   #257
Nayers

Nayers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
He was a bad shooter that wouldn't stop shooting. But yeah that's because mick beat him down...
I don't think he's that bad a shooter, his form is off center, but Cumberland has terrible form as well. The reason JC can make em is mostly confidence IMO. That why when his misses it's usually a pretty bad miss.

What I don't understand is, you defend yourself as if you are not a Cronin apologist, but yet every time someone speaks against him, you defend him.
Nayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:42 PM   #258
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
It seems most people think Moore is a good shooter and Williams is a bad shooter but if in conference games/ conference championship and ncaa tournament games they had the same ft %--- fg% 31% Moore 30% Williams and even #pt% was 28% Moore--- 20% Williams there is not a lot of difference there to be calling one good and one bad.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:44 PM   #259
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
Left a 3 out on the last %. sorry.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:32 AM   #260
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerOH View Post
It seems most people think Moore is a good shooter and Williams is a bad shooter but if in conference games/ conference championship and ncaa tournament games they had the same ft %--- fg% 31% Moore 30% Williams and even #pt% was 28% Moore--- 20% Williams there is not a lot of difference there to be calling one good and one bad.
I don't know of anyone that watched games last year and thought Moore was a good shooter....other than Cronin I guess!

Williams was awful on D most of the time, he wasted offensive opportunities with bad shots. Moore was simply less risk (less reward) on the floor which I was perfectly fine with as long as the lineup on the floor allowed for that. We had 5 guys that could score. Needed 2 on the floor at all times...if that was the case, having Moore out there was indeed better than Williams.

Next year, assuming Evans is gone, we are going to need Williams offense...so I hope that kid works his butt off this summer.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote