Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-17-2020, 11:13 AM   #631
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I still say Vogt's minutes are going to drop to 15, or perhaps even 10 mpg. You don't need 5 guys on the break, but you do need 5 guys who can get back and defend quickly and defend in a broken down defense situation. Ideally you also want 5 guys who can run on the break. You also want a center who can grab the rebound as a trailer or hit the three as a trailer if he is slow getting on the break.

Vogt is a traditional big man and too much of a statue to fit a running pressing team. Especially as Rap and Diarra both fit the system and should be fairly interchangeable. Against teams that want to run with us, I could see Vogt's minutes dropping below 10. Against slow paced teams, he might get closer to 20 or even 25 minutes.
I think Brannen likes Vogt too much to drop his minutes that far but I could see it happening if Diara becomes a consistent player. That's a pretty big IF though
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:18 AM   #632
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know about spring/summer practices and if they will happen with Covid 19? It's another factor to consider and would favor returning guys who know the system getting minutes over incoming players. Our first practice last year was mid April, I doubt that's happening this year.

It's generally hard for freshmen and new transfer to adjust anyway. A lack of practices would make it even harder.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:31 AM   #633
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
I don't see a world where Diarra doubles Vogts minutes. I think Eason will play more (hopefully cause he's just that good).
I would like to think Eason and Gabe (and Mikey) will be ready to produce at high levels year one but the additions of Rap and DD tells me that CJB is not counting on or relying on the frosh putting in high minutes. He would have still needed to bring in a big either way but he wouldn't need to grab a transfer guard if he thought the frosh (and sophs) were going to be killing it. MAW was solid last year but not spectacular and Harvey was overwhelmed or still not 100%.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:58 AM   #634
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I would like to think Eason and Gabe (and Mikey) will be ready to produce at high levels year one but the additions of Rap and DD tells me that CJB is not counting on or relying on the frosh putting in high minutes. He would have still needed to bring in a big either way but he wouldn't need to grab a transfer guard if he thought the frosh (and sophs) were going to be killing it. MAW was solid last year but not spectacular and Harvey was overwhelmed or still not 100%.
I tend to distrust that incoming players and freshmen will contribute immediately. It's an adjustment period of learning a new system, learning to play with new teammates and often dealing with an increased level of play. A freshman who contributes in a major way is rare enough that we usually remember the ones who do.

Rap may struggle as well. In the last 2 years he has played a total of 9 top 100 quality games and in those games has averaged an offensive rating below 85. He has also averaged a TO rate above 20% in those games. In top 100 games in the last two years he has shot 33-71 from 2 and 5-29 from 3. That's not even getting into his rebound rate, defense and likely defensive struggles if he plays at the 4.

DeJulius is the player who I think is most likely to transition quickly. His game seems suited for the style Brannen wants to run and he is going to be dropping in competition level coming from Michigan.

After DeJulius I expect the most improvement from guys who were on the roster last year and seem to have lots of potential. Williams, Harvey and Diarra. I also have hope for MAW and who knows, maybe even Vogt will surprise me (though I still say his game just doesn't fit the style Brannen claims to want to run).

I'm not expecting a lot this year though. I consider it more of a developmental year and am expecting a high seeded NIT team. I will be pleasantly surprised if we make the NCAA tournament and disappointed if we are a low NIT seed (or miss the NIT entirely).

I am hoping the RAP can get a waiver and play in 21-22. If he can, we should be in very good shape with Diarra/RAP as seniors and a lot of Sophomores and Juniors.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:51 PM   #635
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I tend to distrust that incoming players and freshmen will contribute immediately. It's an adjustment period of learning a new system, learning to play with new teammates and often dealing with an increased level of play. A freshman who contributes in a major way is rare enough that we usually remember the ones who do.

Rap may struggle as well. In the last 2 years he has played a total of 9 top 100 quality games and in those games has averaged an offensive rating below 85. He has also averaged a TO rate above 20% in those games. In top 100 games in the last two years he has shot 33-71 from 2 and 5-29 from 3. That's not even getting into his rebound rate, defense and likely defensive struggles if he plays at the 4.

DeJulius is the player who I think is most likely to transition quickly. His game seems suited for the style Brannen wants to run and he is going to be dropping in competition level coming from Michigan.

After DeJulius I expect the most improvement from guys who were on the roster last year and seem to have lots of potential. Williams, Harvey and Diarra. I also have hope for MAW and who knows, maybe even Vogt will surprise me (though I still say his game just doesn't fit the style Brannen claims to want to run).

I'm not expecting a lot this year though. I consider it more of a developmental year and am expecting a high seeded NIT team. I will be pleasantly surprised if we make the NCAA tournament and disappointed if we are a low NIT seed (or miss the NIT entirely).

I am hoping the RAP can get a waiver and play in 21-22. If he can, we should be in very good shape with Diarra/RAP as seniors and a lot of Sophomores and Juniors.
I agree about new comers early on and whichever frosh can pick it up like MAW did...even if it's just one of them...it will help a lot.

Rap isn't going to be in a starring role so I don't worry too much about him being overwhelmed. The star of the show is going to be the system hopefully.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:45 PM   #636
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance2017 View Post
I think Harvey will be in the 20+ range. JMO
Harvey needs to get a little swag. He looked very timid last year. He is very skilled and needs the confidence boost. If he gets frustrated early in the season he could be a transfer candidate end of year. Hopefully he will be operating at 100% and is jacked up to have a big season. Also needs to be working his ass off in practice and off season because there are others that will.

Eason and Madsen are coming in with chips on their shoulders and have that killer instinct. MAW already grabbed the minutes that Harvey could have had. Dejulius is going to scoot MAW over to the 2. So he has to improve more than MAW and hope Madsen is slow to pick things up.

If he gets 20 minutes he will probably be MIP because there is a lot of competition at the guard spots. Brannen will not put him in to facilitate offense or just play D like he was doing last year (which was fine). He's going to have to score and be a threat and aggressive this year.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:15 PM   #637
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Harvey needs to get a little swag. He looked very timid last year. He is very skilled and needs the confidence boost. If he gets frustrated early in the season he could be a transfer candidate end of year. Hopefully he will be operating at 100% and is jacked up to have a big season. Also needs to be working his ass off in practice and off season because there are others that will.

Eason and Madsen are coming in with chips on their shoulders and have that killer instinct. MAW already grabbed the minutes that Harvey could have had. Dejulius is going to scoot MAW over to the 2. So he has to improve more than MAW and hope Madsen is slow to pick things up.

If he gets 20 minutes he will probably be MIP because there is a lot of competition at the guard spots. Brannen will not put him in to facilitate offense or just play D like he was doing last year (which was fine). He's going to have to score and be a threat and aggressive this year.
Harvey missed a lot of time due to injury before coming here. I think he will be a key player next year, he can get the time in to practice and get in shape.

Most of what I've seen about Gabe makes me think he won't be ready next year (could even be a redshirt candidate). Not strong enough, doesn't like to play defense and isn't very good at it, shies away from contact. There was even a podcast with the Madsen's posted not too long ago where Gabe said his biggest weakness is defense. He can learn and put on weight, but I don't think he will have a major impact as a freshman.

Mason on the other hand may actually have more of an immediate impact, even though his upside seems more limited. He was reported to be the best defender on his HS team and guarded the other teams best player. Tough and can shoot threes. A three-and-D type guy.

Eason seems like the most likely freshman to have an immediate impact. But as I've said before, it's tough for freshmen bigs to adjust. I can't see him being more than a 10 mpg guy.

I do think we will see at least one or two of these guys transfer next year. We have a logjam at guard all within a class of each other (especially if DeJulius doesn't get a waiver).

MAW I think will be okay as an SG. I think it's his more natural position anyway and he has a good stroke from three. I imagine him and Harvey will get the bulk of the minutes.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:20 PM   #638
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Harvey missed a lot of time due to injury before coming here. I think he will be a key player next year, he can get the time in to practice and get in shape.

Most of what I've seen about Gabe makes me think he won't be ready next year (could even be a redshirt candidate). Not strong enough, doesn't like to play defense and isn't very good at it, shies away from contact. There was even a podcast with the Madsen's posted not too long ago where Gabe said his biggest weakness is defense. He can learn and put on weight, but I don't think he will have a major impact as a freshman.

Mason on the other hand may actually have more of an immediate impact, even though his upside seems more limited. He was reported to be the best defender on his HS team and guarded the other teams best player. Tough and can shoot threes. A three-and-D type guy.

Eason seems like the most likely freshman to have an immediate impact. But as I've said before, it's tough for freshmen bigs to adjust. I can't see him being more than a 10 mpg guy.

I do think we will see at least one or two of these guys transfer next year. We have a logjam at guard all within a class of each other (especially if DeJulius doesn't get a waiver).

MAW I think will be okay as an SG. I think it's his more natural position anyway and he has a good stroke from three. I imagine him and Harvey will get the bulk of the minutes.
You assessment of Gabe is interesting. Haven’t seen those things said anywhere. He looks ready to me. Not all league but I think he will be fine. He ain’t redshirting. Players don’t have to all be elite defenders. Seems like that’s how you judge all of the players. Basically if they can play defense, they are good. If not they are bad. I’m all for defense but can’t just defend teams to death. Someone has to score. I don’t think brannen wants to play many rock fights

Last edited by cincyguy13; 04-17-2020 at 06:26 PM.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:03 PM   #639
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
You assessment of Gabe is interesting. Haven’t seen those things said anywhere. He looks ready to me. Not all league but I think he will be fine. He ain’t redshirting. Players don’t have to all be elite defenders. Seems like that’s how you judge all of the players. Basically if they can play defense, they are good. If not they are bad. I’m all for defense but can’t just defend teams to death. Someone has to score. I don’t think brannen wants to play many rock fights
The fact is that young guys get playing time by defending and rebounding. Sure offense helps too, but if you are being beat and blowing assignments on defense, you aren't staying in the game. Pretty much every coach does that. Look at UC last year, McNeal got a lot of minutes for his defense and Diarra got quite a bit once he learned the system.

For a bench player it's generally easier to get minutes because of defense and rebounding. A bench guy generally isn't going to be a go to guy on offense, so they have to make their impact in other parts of the game.

I judge players by their entire game. Because that's how basketball works. Great scorers who can't defend or rebound aren't good players. They don't have to be an elite defender, but they have to be solid at defense. It seems some fans would rather lose 80 to 100 than win 50 to 40. The great teams, the teams that win in the NCAA tournament, are top 25 in both offense and defense. I want to see better offense, but I want to see great defense as well.

Here is an assessment of Gabe from a UC fan who coached against him (taken from the Csnbbs forum).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatattack
"Madsen can shoot the damn ball lol.He needs strength though.I think he added a good bit hid sr season.But in summer play he has trouble playing against contact.Hes not a big fan of defense.The potential too be a very good wing defender is there.Hes actually a very athletic kid.I think he's a legit 6'6 so very good length.Like I said he's a exceptional shooter 40-45% 3 ball.His handle needs a bit of work but again he's got a lot of skill.Honestly he was most talented player in his aau program.I think he got a bit bored and didn't get the ball enough."
The recent interview Gabe cited defense as his biggest weakness.

If you haven't seen concerns about Gabe's defense you aren't looking hard. He has the size and athleticism to be a very good defender, but it's probably going to take him a while to get there.

Last edited by skyblade; 04-17-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:06 PM   #640
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The fact is that young guys get playing time by defending and rebounding. Sure offense helps too, but if you are being beat and blowing assignments on defense, you aren't staying in the game. Pretty much every coach does that. Look at UC last year, McNeal got a lot of minutes for his defense and Diarra got quite a bit once he learned the system.

For a bench player it's generally easier to get minutes because of defense and rebounding. A bench guy generally isn't going to be a go to guy on offense, so they have to make their impact in other parts of the game.

I judge players by their entire game. Because that's how basketball works. Great scorers who can't defend or rebound aren't good players. They don't have to be an elite defender, but they have to be solid at defense. It seems some fans would rather lose 80 to 100 than win 50 to 40. The great teams, the teams that win in the NCAA tournament, are top 25 in both offense and defense. I want to see better offense, but I want to see great defense as well.

Here is an assessment of Gabe from a UC fan who coached against him (taken from the Csnbbs forum).

The recent interview Gabe cited defense as his biggest weakness.

If you haven't seen concerns about Gabe's defense you aren't looking hard. He has the size and athleticism to be a very good defender, but it's probably going to take him a while to get there.
Brannen recruited these guys. If he didn’t think he could get them to play good enough D he wouldn’t have offered. Effort won’t be a problem. There are also some techniques that can be addressed fairly easily.. Gabe will be fine