mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:01 PM   #652
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
Chris Vogt entered his name in the nba draft
same as Keith, I see no issue will getting an evaluation...…. but I expect his feedback to be pretty quick..
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #653
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
Due to position break down, you have to think Eason will find his way to 7-8th most minutes.
He probably has the easiest path. Of the bigs Vogt may see a drop in minutes. Dou has been inconsistent in his career. Rap is coming into a new situation. Davenport doesn't figure to be a major factor.

Then again, Harvey was not where he needed to be last year. MAW was playing mostly by default due to McNeal being bad and Harvey being behind as well. Gabe can play 2 positions if he picks the system up quickly he has a chance at decent minutes if his D is straight. MAW can't rest easy and Harvey must improve. Hopefully Harvey is at full strength and has more confidence. I don't think Gabe will be lacking confidence.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #654
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
He probably has the easiest path. Of the bigs Vogt may see a drop in minutes. Dou has been inconsistent in his career. Rap is coming into a new situation. Davenport doesn't figure to be a major factor.

Then again, Harvey was not where he needed to be last year. MAW was playing mostly by default due to McNeal being bad and Harvey being behind as well. Gabe can play 2 positions if he picks the system up quickly he has a chance at decent minutes if his D is straight. MAW can't rest easy and Harvey must improve. Hopefully Harvey is at full strength and has more confidence. I don't think Gabe will be lacking confidence.
Not to the same scale as Dou's late season surge, but I really liked the Harvey I saw in Feb/March compared to the rest of the year. No coincidence that was when Brannen said he was back to around 100%. He cut down on the silly fouls, hit some big shots, and played better than his numbers.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:01 AM   #655
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
Not to the same scale as Dou's late season surge, but I really liked the Harvey I saw in Feb/March compared to the rest of the year. No coincidence that was when Brannen said he was back to around 100%. He cut down on the silly fouls, hit some big shots, and played better than his numbers.
Yes Harvey looked better later on. He's a pretty good defender but he was brought here to score for the most part. If he can't score...he will only get the sub minutes for D when we need it. In his defense he wasn't really trying to score too much given we had others who could. He played pretty smart but he will be needed to be more aggressive this year and it remains to be seen how he handles that challenge. His offense is where I saw his biggest issues. Unlike MAW...when he went to the rack his shot was often blocked because he wasn't prepared for the adjustment to D1 defense. I am not sure he's the knock down shooter Gabe will be either. So he's going to have to get good at one or both of those things. MAW looked pretty good at both for a frosh with a 2" height difference. Harvey has a fluid style whereas MAW had more of a burst of speed and used his body at the rack to keep defenders from blocking his shots at the rim. Defenses will catch up to Harvey if he can't use his body or keep them off balance like an SK or Cumberland. Gabe has the ability to keep defenders off balance and hit shots while moving or fade aways etc. I have my concerns with Harvey so I hope he puts it together this year or he could be a transfer candidate.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:02 AM   #656
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Some numbers on Harvey to track his production:

Games played: 26

1st 13 games: 7.3 mpg, 26.7% FG (4-15), 0% 3FG (0-3), 50% FT (7-14), 7 games where he played less than 5 minutes

2nd 13 games: 10 mpg, 44% FG (11-25), 38.4% 3FG (5-13), 60% FT (6-10), 2 games where he played less than 5 minutes

His fouls per 40 minutes was higher in the 2nd half of the season.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:06 AM   #657
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post

1st 13 games: 7.3 mpg, 26.7% FG (4-15), 0% 3FG (0-3), 50% FT (7-14), 7 games where he played less than 5 minutes

2nd 13 games: 10 mpg, 44% FG (11-25), 38.4% 3FG (5-13), 60% FT (6-10), 2 games where he played less than 5 minutes

Lots of first/second half of season splits would be fascinating to see. Most probably have marked improvement, except Vogt. Some of that has to do with first year coach too I'm sure.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:57 PM   #658
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post

He certainly looked better 2nd half of the season. Mostly on D. He was very selective with 3's which he may not be able to do as easily now. He wasn't particularly good at finishing or 2 pt jumpers. He was billed as a guy who had some ball skills so I hope he can get that part of his driving and slashing game going. Brannen went all in on Gabe and I think he will be more of a play maker and probably a better 3 pt shooter. So if his defense is up to par...he will be a major factor IMO.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:15 PM   #659
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I was down on Harvey last year, but I expect him to be much better as a Sophomore. You could tell he was starting to figure it out in the second half of the season and he seems to have very good court awareness and vision. The biggest concern is his shooting (and committing too many dumb fouls), but I think he will be one of our better players at getting to the basket. I imagine playing 5 out motion a lot - pretty much any time Vogt isn't in - will create a lot of driving lanes.

I would not be surprised to see Harvey starting at SG, it will be between him and MAW for the final spot. Even if he doesn't start I think he will be the first guard/SF off the bench.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:55 PM   #660
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I think people are too quick to judge Harvey. His bad freshman year should have been expected. He was injured for months before he signed, missed most of his HS senior year and spring practice for UC and part of summer practice because of his injury. It's part of the reason a player ranked so high ended up here.

His game reminds me a lot of Keith's, but he seems to have better court vision and a better 3 point shot than Keith did as a freshman. It takes slashers a bit longer to get used to the higher level of college play and also to stop deferring to upper classmen.

I also continue to believe that the freshmen class as a whole is being expected to do way more than is realistic. They are likely to miss significant chucks of practice time due to Covid-19, making the adjustment even tougher. Freshmen who make major contributions are the exception, not the rule.

If we are going to do well next season, I think Keith, DeJulius and Diarra are going to have to be the stars and play major minutes. Harvey, MAW, Rap and Vogt have to be solid contributors. At least one other player (Eason or (?)Prince) needs to step up.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote