Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-10-2020, 04:00 PM   #471
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
We need to land someone.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:01 PM   #472
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
We need to land someone.
I’d take the Michigan guys. Both of them
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:55 PM   #473
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I’d take the Michigan guys. Both of them
They're both legitimate 4-star talents who will be impact players wherever they land. I'd take both too even if both have to sit. I'm honestly surprised we made DeJulius's final 4.

Seems like we have had a number of factors working against us over the past 2 seasons that have prevented us from landing any high major-talent transfers (with Jaevin being a special exception).

1) Competition - more players are transferring, more (high major) programs are seeking transfers.

2) Program profile - We might not be on the radar for top transfers (such as Broome and Washington) like we would've been a few years ago; we weren't in the top 25 at all this season and only squeaked in at the tail end of last season.

3) Conference Affiliation - We just lost B. Johnson and Jalen Tate to two inferior programs (based on recent success), Minnesota and Arkansas, but ones that play in legitimate power conferences with more exposure and better competition.

4) Recruitment strategies - now this is a shot in the dark since I don't know the ins and outs of what the staff is doing, but I've read a number of articles featuring quotes from these transfers and not once have I read "Cincinnati/Brannen is recruiting me hard/doing a good job."

Not saying I've lost faith in the staff to fill out the roster as best they can, but I'm starting to feel a little deja vu from last offseason, and really hope we don't end up with the equivalent of McNeal and Sorolla again.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:15 PM   #474
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
They're both legitimate 4-star talents who will be impact players wherever they land. I'd take both too even if both have to sit. I'm honestly surprised we made DeJulius's final 4.

Seems like we have had a number of factors working against us over the past 2 seasons that have prevented us from landing any high major-talent transfers (with Jaevin being a special exception).

1) Competition - more players are transferring, more (high major) programs are seeking transfers.

2) Program profile - We might not be on the radar for top transfers (such as Broome and Washington) like we would've been a few years ago; we weren't in the top 25 at all this season and only squeaked in at the tail end of last season.

3) Conference Affiliation - We just lost B. Johnson and Jalen Tate to two inferior programs (based on recent success), Minnesota and Arkansas, but ones that play in legitimate power conferences with more exposure and better competition.

4) Recruitment strategies - now this is a shot in the dark since I don't know the ins and outs of what the staff is doing, but I've read a number of articles featuring quotes from these transfers and not once have I read "Cincinnati/Brannen is recruiting me hard/doing a good job."

Not saying I've lost faith in the staff to fill out the roster as best they can, but I'm starting to feel a little deja vu from last offseason, and really hope we don't end up with the equivalent of McNeal and Sorolla again.
I would say the biggest reason is that big schools are getting involved. I mean duke and Kentucky are taking on transfers. The value of these guys have skyrocketed. The big schools are going to get their pick.

Also like it or not, our March success is a negative. All of these recruits, have never seen Cincinnati have much success in March. Not saying that’s the only reason, but combine that with a new coach in a smaller conference and this is what you get. If brannen wins and continues to win, the rest will follow. Winning is always the key.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:22 PM   #475
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post

Yeah, I would take them to sit out also. I don’t think we are in serious need of players. We need depth, but I don’t think our roster is that bad. Vogt and diarra can be decent frontline If they improve their game at all. Kieth will be up for player of the year if he comes back. Harvey and maw should improve significantly and Eason should be able to compete from an athletic standpoint. I’d take some guys but I don’t think it’s a must. We have 4 freshman coming in. It’s not like the staff isn’t bringing anyone in.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 04-10-2020 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:47 PM   #476
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I would say the biggest reason is that big schools are getting involved. I mean duke and Kentucky are taking on transfers. The value of these guys have skyrocketed. The big schools are going to get their pick.

Also like it or not, our March success is a negative. All of these recruits, have never seen Cincinnati have much success in March. Not saying that’s the only reason, but combine that with a new coach in a smaller conference and this is what you get. If brannen wins and continues to win, the rest will follow. Winning is always the key.
I don’t think it’s march success. Arkansas and Minnesota aren’t better than us in March. And mussleman flopped the year after beating us and stopping the year in the top 10

The issue is the league, and losing our biggest national brand to the big East didn’t help. I mean UConn sold out footballl just to get the hell out of the AAC

It’s the league and it’s a staff who just doesn’t have much high major recruiting battle experience.

Just roll the balls out, Tate wasn’t making us world beaters. Just play the freshman, lose games but get better every game and just try to show progress. Next season could be a transition year but it’s a much easier pill to swallow considering we have so much youth.

If Tate came here, he likely gets 30 min a game which is 30 min that could go a freshman.

I was upset last year because we had senior talent and we should have won a lot. But this year, it’s a growth year. We aren’t expected to win a title. We likely aren’t picked in the top 5 in the conference.

But yea, the league sucks and we either need to get a better staff or start dropping bags. I’m cool with either
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:12 PM   #477
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I don’t think it’s march success. Arkansas and Minnesota aren’t better than us in March. And mussleman flopped the year after beating us and stopping the year in the top 10

The issue is the league, and losing our biggest national brand to the big East didn’t help. I mean UConn sold out footballl just to get the hell out of the AAC

It’s the league and it’s a staff who just doesn’t have much high major recruiting battle experience.

Just roll the balls out, Tate wasn’t making us world beaters. Just play the freshman, lose games but get better every game and just try to show progress. Next season could be a transition year but it’s a much easier pill to swallow considering we have so much youth.

If Tate came here, he likely gets 30 min a game which is 30 min that could go a freshman.

I was upset last year because we had senior talent and we should have won a lot. But this year, it’s a growth year. We aren’t expected to win a title. We likely aren’t picked in the top 5 in the conference.

But yea, the league sucks and we either need to get a better staff or start dropping bags. I’m cool with either
I agree with most of this. I think the staff has done good with recruiting. The transfers, not so much, but like you said, most of these guys aren’t difference makers and if they are, they aren’t coming to the American. Losing Tate looks bad, but the reality is, you hope our freshman can be better than him. The sooner they get minutes the better.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 04-10-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:36 PM   #478
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

Curious, who will be the top 5 in the league? Memphis, Houston, then who? WSU lost their whole team. Temple is trash. Just curious. I think we will still be in the running if Kieth comes back. Could be wrong. But we just won the league this year with Jarron being hurt for half the games. Houston will always be there with Sampson. Memphis will always have talent but other than that, I’m not sure who you can count on in this league. Marshall hasn’t impressed me since they got here.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 04-10-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:44 PM   #479
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
O-4... Ballard out. Becoming a brutal off season for Brannen.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:43 AM   #480
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I think a large factor with transfers (especially grad transfers) if our projected finish for next year. We don't look likely to make the NCAA tournament. Most guys who only have a year or two left want to go to a team that will make the NCAA tournament team.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote