Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-17-2022, 05:49 AM   #21
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Really happy I went to watch Mich-Pitt and VCU-Ariz St at Barclays rather than stay home to watch (whatever ESPN+ ended up showing of) this game.

Sounds like we had a nightmare of a 2nd half shooting the ball. Thought guys like Nolley and DDJ would be able to bail us out on offense this season, but I guess that's asking too much.

The good news is that hopefully this lights a fire under us going into Maui and we rise to the occasion. 2-1 seems like a great outcome no matter how the wins come.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 07:20 AM   #22
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I haven't given up on Miller, it wasn't pretty but he's only in year two. He does seem to have a major issue in that he wants to be a hands-off, let the guys play type coach, but we don't have the players for it. To be that type of coach, he needs guys who play hard and smart all of the time. The only player on the team who consistently plays both hard and smart is DDJ (Newman is the other if he was healthy). You can say he hasn't gotten his recruits in, but the transfers aren't exactly bringing it either.

Davenport and Nolley are lazy on both ends of the court - especially in regards to rebounding - more often than not. Their shot selection and decision making is at best questionable.

Phinisee/MAW are great on defense, but on offense they take shots they shouldn't (in Phinisee's case that is any shot that's not a layup).

It's hard to be hands off if guys make poor decisions over and over and nothing changes. At some point he has to start benching guys. But he also has a brand/style he's trying to promote to recruits, so he wants them to see his hands of style on the court. It's a delicate balance, but at this point it seems like he needs to take more control.

Last edited by skyblade; 11-17-2022 at 07:25 AM.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 08:53 AM   #23
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I haven't given up on Miller, it wasn't pretty but he's only in year two. He does seem to have a major issue in that he wants to be a hands-off, let the guys play type coach, but we don't have the players for it. To be that type of coach, he needs guys who play hard and smart all of the time. The only player on the team who consistently plays both hard and smart is DDJ (Newman is the other if he was healthy). You can say he hasn't gotten his recruits in, but the transfers aren't exactly bringing it either.

Davenport and Nolley are lazy on both ends of the court - especially in regards to rebounding - more often than not. Their shot selection and decision making is at best questionable.

Phinisee/MAW are great on defense, but on offense they take shots they shouldn't (in Phinisee's case that is any shot that's not a layup).

It's hard to be hands off if guys make poor decisions over and over and nothing changes. At some point he has to start benching guys. But he also has a brand/style he's trying to promote to recruits, so he wants them to see his hands of style on the court. It's a delicate balance, but at this point it seems like he needs to take more control.
Great insight.

Do you think his style will work better as we accrue better talent over these next few years?
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 08:56 AM   #24
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Thought guys like Nolley and DDJ would be able to bail us out on offense this season, but I guess that's asking too much.
NKU was doubling and trapping them most of the night. They were daring Phinisee to shoot and they didn't double Davenport. It was a great scouting report and the players executed it. These are the kind of things you can figure out just by skimming Torvik for a bit, but we rarely seem to implement even a simple scouting report. Even for our own team.

Nolley had zero rim attempts last night but 7 midrange jumpers. He converts a miserable 42% from 2 in his career, and shot selection has a lot to do with that. We knew that going in based on his Memphis numbers, but what really concerns me is the drastic drop in his assist rate from 17 career to 8 this season. His best attribute is offense creation with size, and we simply aren't using it.

As a group, our guards and wings (DDJ,MAW,Phinisee,Nolley,Davenport) converted zero buckets at the rim. Tough to win like that.

Davenport and Hensley combined for 1 total rebound. That's completely embarrassing for the power forward position against a team like NKU.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:22 AM   #25
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
With both of our taller guards out, I'm guessing we'll mostly go small with DDJ, MAW, Phinisee sharing the 80 minutes available at the 1/2 spots. That leaves Davenport, Nolley, and Hensley to play the 3/4 and Reed can contribute a little.

I wouldn't mind going bigger though and giving Ody a shot at playing some 4. Then we could play Davenport mostly at 3 and give Nolley some minutes at SG.
Our small guards played 74 minutes last night and combined for 13 points. Zero rim conversions and one made free throw between them. Add Nolley and Davenport to that and there is just no threat to attack the basket. This isn't working. I still think we need to try Nolley as a point forward and try to improve rebounding with Ody at the 4.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:56 AM   #26
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
Is it me, or does our guards ignore Vik on offense. Too too many games so far, that Vik sprints the floor only to be ignored.

I guess that's why the need for a true pg is a must. Vik would be averaging 20+ points possibly. Same could be said for Kalu.

Kalu played with an edge, but no passes.

Hopefully Wes can't wait to truly have his own guys, for fair assessments.

If our Guard/Forwards can not consistently get to the basket,or make plays for others that are obviously open, this may be a long season
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 03:39 PM   #27
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Our small guards played 74 minutes last night and combined for 13 points. Zero rim conversions and one made free throw between them. Add Nolley and Davenport to that and there is just no threat to attack the basket. This isn't working. I still think we need to try Nolley as a point forward and try to improve rebounding with Ody at the 4.
I agree, it's more of the exact same problem as last year. We don't have anyone who is a threat to drive the ball into the paint and crates for others or score at the rim. We have shooters (Davenport and Nolley who catch and shoot and DDJ who creates his own shot), some big men who aren't a major threat (though Kalu did the most on offense he has this season - which isn't saying a lot) and some complete non-entities on offense (Phinisee especially).

The scouting report is simple, don't let DDJ comfortably handle the ball, cover Davenport and Nolley closely (but if you lose track of Nolley it's not really a huge deal), dare everyone else to beat you and don't cover Phinisee.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:19 PM   #28
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Agree, we're really easy to scout right now. Double DDJ and maybe Nolley. Don't help off of Davenport. Play off MAW and Phinisee.

Newman and Skillings have shown flashes of driving ability. Hopefully Skillings isn't out too long.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:46 PM   #29
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Agree, we're really easy to scout right now. Double DDJ and maybe Nolley. Don't help off of Davenport. Play off MAW and Phinisee.

Newman and Skillings have shown flashes of driving ability. Hopefully Skillings isn't out too long.
If you believe that Nolley is actually who the stats say he is, there's no reason to double him.

He doesn't shoot well off the dribble and doesn't get to the rim. He likes to take bad shots and unlike DDJ, doesn't make the bad shots at a high enough rate that they become good shots. He can get hot, but overall is not going to shoot a good percentage.

Chad and others built him up as being far better than the stats say he is and that he was being held back in Memphis. The first 3 real (D1) games indicate that he is actually who he was at Memphis.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:53 PM   #30
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
If you believe that Nolley is actually who the stats say he is, there's no reason to double him.

He doesn't shoot well off the dribble and doesn't get to the rim. He likes to take bad shots and unlike DDJ, doesn't make the bad shots at a high enough rate that they become good shots. He can get hot, but overall is not going to shoot a good percentage.

Chad and others built him up as being far better than the stats say he is and that he was being held back in Memphis. The first 3 real (D1) games indicate that he is actually who he was at Memphis.
I think you double scorers, not shooters or passers. Nolley is a scorer who creates his own offense with the ball in his hands. Doubling him should be effective most of the time, especially if you aren't leaving a shooter. I wouldn't double Davenport even though he's a much better shooter, I'd guard him straight up and tight.