Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-17-2022, 08:20 PM   #31
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
I don't want to blame the refs, as UC just did not make good decisions under pressure, but I did feel like a lot of the stuff that was happening would have been called for fouls in most games.

Credit NKU that they were quite physical and aggressive and generally were hustling. But a lot of the stuff that was happening around the basket was allowed when I think normally it would not have been. There were a ton of moving screens happening from both sides. It just seemed like the refs were letting things slide, which unfortunately UC was not handling it well.

It funny because I know a lot of the criticism towards Brannen was that he was making the team more of a Horizon League squad, and maybe that is somewhat true. Recruiting will have to improve, and the staff knows that. Still, I'd like to think these guys can overcome an attack like that.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 08:44 PM   #32
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Nolley is a player. He's good, problem is the rest of the team isn't. DDJ can be good when he keeps it simple, but when he is out there dribbling around for 15 seconds taking step back long jumpers he isn't good.

Not only is Miller's coaching a giant concern, but his judgment of talent is something I'm starting to question too. Not that Saunders was great, but he was better and had way more potential than MAW. And he keeps MAW and runs off Saunders. Not only that but he essentially pushed Saunders out to replace him with Phinese who hasn't even shown he's a capable D1 player. Now I'm starting to think that perhaps he really did think JD was the player of the game the other night, which is a scary thought.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:11 PM   #33
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Phinisee is exactly who we thought. Non entity on offense but excellent defender. He didn't get credit for any steals last night but created several. I think he's easily the best defender on our team. But when you have one guard who only defends and one who only scores, it's easy to combat with a decent gameplan.

Nolley is also what we thought as a scorer - inconsistent and heavy midrange. But I am convinced that Wes is squandering his passing potential. Nolley's assist rate last year was 18, second on the Memphis squad behind only Lomax and ahead of Tyler Harris. That's a big asset to have from a 6'7" guy. It would be a big upgrade over our wings last year - Newman/Madsen at 12 and Davenport at only 6.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:15 AM   #34
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Phinisee is exactly who we thought. Non entity on offense but excellent defender. He didn't get credit for any steals last night but created several. I think he's easily the best defender on our team. But when you have one guard who only defends and one who only scores, it's easy to combat with a decent gameplan.

Nolley is also what we thought as a scorer - inconsistent and heavy midrange. But I am convinced that Wes is squandering his passing potential. Nolley's assist rate last year was 18, second on the Memphis squad behind only Lomax and ahead of Tyler Harris. That's a big asset to have from a 6'7" guy. It would be a big upgrade over our wings last year - Newman/Madsen at 12 and Davenport at only 6.
I agree on both. Rob has a bigger impact on the game than his offense so far has shown. He did create several steals and has been. Plus minus numbers are very good. He probably needs to start over MAW right now. Nolley is a good passer for sure. We need to post him up more because some of our post players can't handle the double down and get stripped. Nolley knows how to take advantage of it.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:20 AM   #35
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
Nolley is a player. He's good, problem is the rest of the team isn't. DDJ can be good when he keeps it simple, but when he is out there dribbling around for 15 seconds taking step back long jumpers he isn't good.

Not only is Miller's coaching a giant concern, but his judgment of talent is something I'm starting to question too. Not that Saunders was great, but he was better and had way more potential than MAW. And he keeps MAW and runs off Saunders. Not only that but he essentially pushed Saunders out to replace him with Phinese who hasn't even shown he's a capable D1 player. Now I'm starting to think that perhaps he really did think JD was the player of the game the other night, which is a scary thought.
Nah...Saunders chose to leave when Wes said he was bringing in another PG. MAW chose to stay. Rob has the best plus minus numbers on the team right now through 4 games (adjusted for minutes played). That's for anyone averaging 18 minutes or more. We would like Rob to score...but we have 4 better scoring options on the court in most possessions. His elite D is helping us big time...and it does appear to be elite so far.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:25 AM   #36
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I'm ready to try this lineup. Rob, DDJ, Nolley, Hensley, Vik. Never thought I would say that...but we can score with 3 guys there and we can defend at a very high level as well. JD is a great 6th man heat check. And MAW is a solid replacement for Rob. I would prefer if Newman were available...but he's not.
Old 11-19-2022, 02:51 PM   #37
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Nah...Saunders chose to leave when Wes said he was bringing in another PG. MAW chose to stay. Rob has the best plus minus numbers on the team right now through 4 games (adjusted for minutes played). That's for anyone averaging 18 minutes or more. We would like Rob to score...but we have 4 better scoring options on the court in most possessions. His elite D is helping us big time...and it does appear to be elite so far.
Who was the other PG? Am I missing someone? If you're suggesting that Saunders left because Miller decided to bring in Rob than that kind of proves my point. Rob is not any good.

You've already stated that +/- isn't useful this early on so why do you keep going back to it to try to prove a point? He hasn't made a basket in any of the 3 D1 games so far this year. He has been absolutely brutal.
Old 11-19-2022, 02:52 PM   #38
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I'm ready to try this lineup. Rob, DDJ, Nolley, Hensley, Vik. Never thought I would say that...but we can score with 3 guys there and we can defend at a very high level as well. JD is a great 6th man heat check. And MAW is a solid replacement for Rob. I would prefer if Newman were available...but he's not.
You can't have an absolute zero on offense, especially at the guard position. Makes it way to easy to sag and double team on defense. Unless Rob proves he can score his only position is on the bench.
Old 11-19-2022, 05:10 PM   #39
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Who was the other PG? Am I missing someone? If you're suggesting that Saunders left because Miller decided to bring in Rob than that kind of proves my point. Rob is not any good.

You've already stated that +/- isn't useful this early on so why do you keep going back to it to try to prove a point? He hasn't made a basket in any of the 3 D1 games so far this year. He has been absolutely brutal.
My understanding based on what I remember of the Saunders interview is that it wasn't that he was told we were bringing in another PG. He was told that the coaching staff didn't anticipate his role changing. He'd once again be competing for minutes with MAW and the staff expected that MAW would once again win the starting role. They'd also be willing to take the best player available from the portal and if that bumped Saunders minutes down so be it.

Saunders wanted more of a guarantee that he'd end up with a starting role. Just speculating I'd guess he was also told that they valued defense in a starting PG over offense to help to balance DDJ (who is much better on offense than defense) at SG.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 11:01 AM   #40
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

No I don't think Saunders knew who the additional PG was going to be....just that there would be an additional PG. That ended up being Rob. I also think Rob is sub par for the type of PG we really need...as is MAW.

but you can't just grade a dude on a slow shooting start or scoring start. He can clearly impact the game on defense. I am not grading him on +/- either just offering some extra data. Points are very easy to follow but there is a lot more going on in a BB game that is harder to quantify which is why I like tracking +/-. Right now all I can say is that it seems his impact is much greater than putting the ball in the bucket. The longer we go the more we'll know...and that includes whether he will score more. Like he did at IU. He didn't score a lot but obviously he's not a zero sum scorer.

Anyway, I think we both agree we need higher caliber talent at PG