Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Football Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2011 Recruiting Profiles
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2010, 12:09 AM   #21
Mopper

Mopper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
Coach Jones has the benefit of being able to recruit for a 2 time defending Big East Championship team while still being able to point to the success he had after taking over for BK at CMU. You have to hand it to Mike Thomas. I really like what Coach Jones has done to this point and I look forward to watching this team play.
It is always easier to recruit to a winner. That being said this staff just plain gets after it in recruiting. They do it to a degree that Kelly and Dantonio never really attempted. The two clearest examples that are in the 2010 class with Munchie Legaux and Kenbrell Thompkins. Butch basically pulled both of those guys out of thin air. Munchie was in attendance at the Sugar Bowl wearing a Gator shirt and one month later he was signing on the dotted line with UC. With Thompkins UC wasn't even in the picture until the last two or three weeks but in that very short, very small time frame they pulled him into the fray. They defiantly get it done in recruiting. The thing that I like the most though is that they are willing to wait and work to get their guy. Kelly never really did that. He would be willing to settle on a lesser prospect in the interest of expediency rather than waiting on the bigger fish.
Mopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:28 AM   #22
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
I think Kelly and BJ are quite alot alike. Both do a great job of selling the program, as well as themselves. Butch winning will help distance himself from the Kelly shadow, but until then, he's been doing a wonderful job building up the program.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:18 AM   #23
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
http://rivals.yahoo.com/cincinnati/f...-Chisum-103726

Rivals is listing him as a "soft verbal"... I'm slightly less enthused about the commitment now... anyone have info on this situation?
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:29 AM   #24
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Georgia and Oregon never offered, so the thinking may be that if in fact that occurs, he could switch. Frankly, I don't see that happening. We'll see.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:35 AM   #25
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
I saw Georgia as an honorary offer more than one he would strongly consider, since I read he stated himself he wanted to leave the state for college... but, I guess it is easier to say that when you haven't gotten an offer from the school in the first place...

Last edited by psax889906; 06-18-2010 at 07:38 AM.
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:37 AM   #26
swg
Epic Member

Absolutely. Kids play the game about as well as the adults do. I think he was more or less resigned to that fact, and an offer from GA would have to give him pause, one would think. Generally the kids in the south are pretty damn loyal regionally speaking. But...could be wrong in his case.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #27
Racinejake

Racinejake will become famous soon enough
Maybe it's just an error on Rivals' part? They usually list kids as 'soft verbals' when a kid is still going to take other visits even though he is committed. It would seem odd that within a few hours of committing a kid would be considered a 'soft' verbal.

Anyway, great job by the staff. Is this the first GA player we would have on our roster? It feels great to go into a state where we've never recruited and pull a player who has multiple other BCS offers.
Racinejake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #28
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
In the same day Cincinnati received a verbal from defensive tackle Brandon Mitchell, the Bearcats also picked up a verbal from a three-star wide receiver.

Cincinnati received a verbal committment from three-star wide receiver Alex Chisum on Thursday, making him the fifth player to verbal to the Bearcats for the 2011 season.
Chisum, a 6-foot-2 182 pound wide out from Sandy Creek High School in Georgia, gave his verbal after attending UC's senior camp earlier this week.

Chisum chose the Bearcats over Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Mississippi State, West Virginia and Southern Miss.

http://cincinnati.scout.com/2/978249.html
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #29
swg
Epic Member

Alex was originally supposed to be at UK's camp today. Let's hope he doesn't show up.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #30
swg
Epic Member

The Georgia wideout had unofficially visited Cincinnati in late April to attend Bearcat Bowl IV and returned to the Clifton campus on Wednesday to take part in coach Butch Jones’ camp. But this time the Peach State standout didn’t leave the Clifton campus without giving his verbal pledge to become a Bearcat.

“I had been there so many times, and Coach Weist (UC receiver coach) and I toured the campus and had a long talk about the offense and where I fit in. I had time to work with him in camp, and he showed me all the things I could do and work on so I committed.”

Chisum estimated this was his fourth or fifth unofficial visit to the Queen City.
The senior-to-be was part of an outstanding receiving corps last season that included Jarrett Davis (Louisville signee) and Devon Hughes (Buffalo signee) as the Fighting Patriots captured their first (AAAA) Georgia state championship in posting a 14-1 record. 5A is the highest division in Georgia.

The 6’ 2, 183 pounder also talked about Coach Jones’ reaction to his news.

“He was really happy for me and wanted me to try and stay focused because he knows a lot of other schools will come after me now. He said he’d keep my scholarship and lock it away. He wants me to be part of the family.”

The Georgia star is the first of what is expected to be three wide receivers in Cincinnati’s 2011 recruiting class.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...qGKYhlgP2PI%3D