UCLA 1-0 beat Long Beach by 4 at home
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:12 PM   #692
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
He’s not better than jc kw and jaevin I’m not sure what you want, you clearly are just finding things to complain about that brannen does and find negatives, we lost to OSU by 8 2 years in a row one was at home one was away, I get your mad about mick leaving, but you have to give brannen a chance
I’m not mad that mick left or the John Brannen is our new coach.

But there are UC fans who made the last few years miserable after every loss. People acted like the Mick Cronin era was this oppressive regime and that John Brannen is this beautiful breath of fresh air. It’s not hard to see I liked Mick Cronin, but it was also clear a huge portion of the fan base thought we could do better. And a lot of them think a John Brannen is the guy. So my expectations are high. If this guy is better then our old Coach then I’m all for it. I want to win. But I also don’t want to see this team take a dip this season. I want to make the tourney, I want to make a run.

So im considering this season a pickup right where we left off kinda deal. I’d critic the game the same way if mick were coaching. You have Keith Williams, Jarron Cumberland, Tre Scott & Jaevin Cumberland in your first year as a UC coach, you have 2 of your guys in the starting lineup and you have a sold out arena to boost you. I expect results this year. So I’m just pointing out things that I see. If Mick Cronin coached this years OSU game, I think it’s fair to say people would have critiqued his handling of Jarron Cumberland, his lack off playing time for elite freshman and his defense in the 2nd half.
I know I’d personally have those same comments no matter who the coach was.

Next year can be the rebuild. This year we need to win. Because if recruits aren’t signing with Brannen because they don’t know him, then next year they won’t sign with us because we had an all American and didn’t win with him. Brannen has to use Jarron Cumberland to win but also make a name for himself.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #693
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
So you think Harvey should really get minutes over those 3 wings
Old 11-10-2019, 12:39 PM   #694
mdchick
Epic Member

He’s coming off of a season ending ankle injury and didn’t play basketball for 5 months not to mention he is supposed to be a senior in highschool right now, he’s going to experience some growing pains, he was the 2nd guy off the bench for us after jaevin idk what else to say
Old 11-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #695
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He’s coming off of a season ending ankle injury and didn’t play basketball for 5 months not to mention he is supposed to be a senior in highschool right now, he’s going to experience some growing pains, he was the 2nd guy off the bench for us after jaevin idk what else to say
THIS ^^^^^^

Justin...dude...stop talking
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:15 PM   #696
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
No.

He is not supposed to be a senior in high school.

He was always a 2019 recruit. But when he had his issues, he was going to go to Prep school and be a 2020 recruit.

But then there were rumors that his prep school didn’t want him and he went back to his original class. He is every bit of a college Freshman as anyone else
Old 11-10-2019, 01:20 PM   #697
justinhub2003
Epic Member

My biggest point was that we basically played just 7 guys. Clearly that took a toll on the defense in the 2nd half.

Harvey never saw the floor in the 2nd half.

And McNeal played more minutes then anyone else. He simply cannot do that when he applies the kind of effort he did.

Brannen said it himself he only played 7 guys and wasn’t happy about it
Old 11-10-2019, 01:34 PM   #698
mdchick
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
My biggest point was that we basically played just 7 guys. Clearly that took a toll on the defense in the 2nd half.

Harvey never saw the floor in the 2nd half.

And McNeal played more minutes then anyone else. He simply cannot do that when he applies the kind of effort he did.

Brannen said it himself he only played 7 guys and wasn’t happy about it
There is no depth at the pg position, that is why McNeal played the most minutes, Adams-woods is a question mark right now still adapting to playing pg
Old 11-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #699
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

But there are UC fans who made the last few years miserable after every loss. People acted like the Mick Cronin era was this oppressive regime and that John Brannen is this beautiful breath of fresh air. It’s not hard to see I liked Mick Cronin, but it was also clear a huge portion of the fan base thought we could do better. And a lot of them think a John Brannen is the guy. So my expectations are high. If this guy is better then our old Coach then I’m all for it. I want to win. But I also don’t want to see this team take a dip this season. I want to make the tourney, I want to make a run.

So im considering this season a pickup right where we left off kinda deal. I’d critic the game the same way if mick were coaching. You have Keith Williams, Jarron Cumberland, Tre Scott & Jaevin Cumberland in your first year as a UC coach, you have 2 of your guys in the starting lineup and you have a sold out arena to boost you. I expect results this year. So I’m just pointing out things that I see. If Mick Cronin coached this years OSU game, I think it’s fair to say people would have critiqued his handling of Jarron Cumberland, his lack off playing time for elite freshman and his defense in the 2nd half.

Next year can be the rebuild. This year we need to win. Because if recruits aren’t signing with Brannen because they don’t know him, then next year they won’t sign with us because we had an all American and didn’t win with him. Brannen has to use Jarron Cumberland to win but also make a name for himself.
Concerning Cronin not playing elite frosh soon enough had to do with a lack of good options in front and a demonstration of better value by certain frosh. Harvey has not accomplished that yet and he may not considering the quality options in front of him. But if he does eventually outplay even 1 of them he is going to be very very good.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:21 AM   #700
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

It’s been 1 game
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote