Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-04-2020, 06:09 PM   #101
Goldpanner

Goldpanner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Not blaming him for all 5 (I believe he was 3-3 over Vogt, 1-1 over Sorolla and 1-1 over Keith). But him pulling Vogt to the perimeter hurt us way more than just him hitting threes.

Vogt on the perimeter takes away our interior defender and makes Vogt useless for defensive rebounding. Besides that, Tulane also put Vogt in a lot of pick-and-rolls and had a fair amount of success with it. There's a reason Brannen went to Diarra at center for a while this game.
Hence Brannen changing and adapting. May not have been correct, but he did adapt as some say he doesn’t.
Goldpanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:13 PM   #102
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
You haven't given me a solution. Maybe you have, I don't know. But you either want him guarding his man or protecting the rim? He can't do both, and you need he's offense. So what's the solution?
A zone seems like the obvious solution.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:16 PM   #103
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Lol I mean we’re cincinnati and we just allowed 76 points from Tulane and people are defending the current strategy.

I’ve dropped my bias. Every one drop theirs too,

We suck at defense.

And it seems Brannen has very little respect for other coaches considering he makes no adjustments at half when seemingly the other team is.

Perfect example: Chris Mack can’t coach defense and is a packline defense guy. But when Xavier was at its best a few years ago, it was because he was willing to mix up a 1-3-1 that confused so many teams.
Mack was also in his 5 year and had his guys. I think that helps more than people want to except.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:18 PM   #104
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
A zone seems like the obvious solution.
So a zone will fix all the problems defensively? And if teams can shoot? Then what? Keep playing it? Can you imagine playing a zone against Iowa.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:18 PM   #105
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Mack was also in his 5 year and had his guys. I think that helps more than people want to except.
I thibk Brannen with his guys may turn out good. Hes got a history of starting poor.

But his inability to adapt to current roster is concerning
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:23 PM   #106
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So a zone will fix all the problems defensively? And if teams can shoot? Then what? Keep playing it? Can you imagine playing a zone against Iowa.
You don't have to play a zone all the time. But it should be used on a situational basis. If the opposing teams 5 isn't a shooter (UConn), then play man-to-man. But if they are, then use a zone at least part of the time to try to confuse the other team.

Against a team where everyone can shoot, we are in trouble regardless. You either live with it, go small with Scott at the 5 or play Diarra at the 5.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:23 PM   #107
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
UC basketball is a shell of what it was... I don’t care how many 4 stars are coming in or how fast you want to play, you turn the ball over this much in EVERY game you will lose to teams such as yes........ Tulane

Bowling Green, Colgate, Tulane..... let that sink in
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:24 PM   #108
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
I thibk Brannen with his guys may turn out good. Hes got a history of starting poor.

But his inability to adapt to current roster is concerning
I get it, losing these games sucks, and is concerning but I don't think the adjustments are as easy as some are claiming. But we are all just venting and looking for answers.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:28 PM   #109
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
You don't have to play a zone all the time. But it should be used on a situational basis. If the opposing teams 5 isn't a shooter (UConn), then play man-to-man. But if they are, then use a zone at least part of the time to try to confuse the other team.

Against a team where everyone can shoot, we are in trouble regardless. You either live with it, go small with Scott at the 5 or play Diarra at the 5.
That's my overall point. We are in trouble regardless. If we put our best defense on the floor, we can't score or create a shot. Vogt is an automatic bucket. I don't think taking him out is going to make this team better overall.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:29 PM   #110
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I get it, losing these games sucks, and is concerning but I don't think the adjustments are as easy as some are claiming. But we are all just venting and looking for answers.
Id agree... One thing is certain. Of you turn the ball over you should lose minutes. The turnovers have to stop
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote