Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 11-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks' Guns View Post
Basketball...I'm not as worried. While the competition will go down, we'll just resume being the Bearcats of the 90s and early 2000s and dominate the regular season.

Then why are you concerned? UC is a basketball school and their main focus should be about basketball.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
Hicks' Guns

Hicks' Guns is on a distinguished road
Then get off the football thread.
Hicks' Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
Nomadic1

Nomadic1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Then why are you concerned? UC is a basketball school and their main focus should be about basketball.
UC USED to be a basketball school.
UC football had 4 draft picks last year, UC basketball has had 1 in the last 7 years. We don't need to be an Atlantic 10 school. I'm sorry but I happen to like having a football team. Don't want them playing Tulane and ECU again, but still.
Nomadic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #14
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
You probably use a horse and buggy as your main means of transportation.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #15
Bearcat22
Elite Member

Bearcat22 is on a distinguished road
ESPN is reporting, based on info from another source, that Charlie Strong interviwed for the Auburn job.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...cording-report
Bearcat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #16
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
First of all I want a school who can recruit for March not be happy winning the regular season. That means you need revenue for facilities and all the things that go with recruiting. Cincinnati is going to die a slow death if they find no option to join a power league. These leagues will squeeze other leagues out of everything footbal that isn't joined to them and my friends that is money.

That said, I do think the ACC is the best make up for this university and it's current sports make up. It will provide a strong, visible basketball conference and at least a solid football league UC can compete in. It is hands down to me the best option at this point. That said, I will again say if UC fans supported the teams by attending the games this would already be over. That aspect, whether people want to admit it or not is killing this unversity, but they will get snatched up in the next wave of moves now that everyone has picked the better bones. It's about revenue and fans in seats generate revenue.

Cincinnati fans say, "well we have the Bengals and Reds, people have other options". What a load of crap! Xavier plays in the same city and draws 9-10k every single game. UC fans can look themselves in the mirror for where this university is. If the sports teams were better draws the brand name would be higher. Cincinnati had 26 wins and went to a sweet 16 and how many sellouts did they have? Not many and all were dictated by opponent not by the team itself. It's sad UC fans when a football coach has to beg to fill up a stadium after years of having a winning program. It's sad when the opponent dictates who shows up at a basketball game. It's everything wrong with this program right now. People are apathetic about the teams.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #17
BearcatMick
Elite Member

BearcatMick is an unknown quantity at this point
Bearcat jeff is right. We should be rooting for the following regarding expansion:

1)Maryland getting out of acc with significantly less than a 50mil buyout. That will be the blueprint for the other acc teams to leave. This is crucial
2) we need 2 teams to leave the acc(doesn't matter who). Uconn and uc are likely next in line. To be safe I'd rather 4 teams leave but I'm pretty sure uc is in great shape I two more leave

Be patient. The big10 has indicated they want two more teams. The SEC has indicated they are not happy with 14 and want an even 16(and want into the nc/va market). The Big12 will not stay at 10 with those other conferences expanding.

Also remember the rule of thumb. The Ralph is right regarding uc bball but horrifically wrong in everything realignment related

Last edited by BearcatMick; 11-29-2012 at 06:59 AM.
BearcatMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #18
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
According to the realignment "guru" on Mo Edgar's show yesterday, UC will go in the next wave of moves regardless. My point is UC fans have this elevated view of their programs. It's not only about winning. It's revenue!! Big time programs have atmosphere at their games. You know if you play them the place will be full and loud. Big time basketball programs are at or near capacity every game regardless of who they play. Big time football programs don't have to beg fans to come to the games. Fans and attendance matter period. For whatever reason fans have never supported the football program, again except big games, and the basketball fanbase has been awol since Huggins left which tells me they were Huggins fans and not UC fans in the first place. The unversity has to put money into marketing and find ways to get asses in seats.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #19
acCat

acCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
According to the realignment "guru" on Mo Edgar's show yesterday, UC will go in the next wave of moves regardless. My point is UC fans have this elevated view of their programs. It's not only about winning. It's revenue!! Big time programs have atmosphere at their games. You know if you play them the place will be full and loud. Big time basketball programs are at or near capacity every game regardless of who they play. Big time football programs don't have to beg fans to come to the games. Fans and attendance matter period. For whatever reason fans have never supported the football program, again except big games, and the basketball fanbase has been awol since Huggins left which tells me they were Huggins fans and not UC fans in the first place. The unversity has to put money into marketing and find ways to get asses in seats.
This post got me to register so I could add my two cents.

I've been going to UC football games for several years now including both BCS bowls. I couldn't agree more that the atmosphere around the team is not "big time". Compared to FL and VaTech, the entire UC contingent - team, fans, cheerleaders, band, etc. - just seemed happy to be there and didn't have the swagger of a big-time program.

I think they aren't marketing themselves enough in the area to appeal to a wider fan base, and they aren't doing enough to energize the fans they already have. The marching band is basically a big high school band, and the gameday staff doesn't give them nearly enough time to play with all the ads and other garbage they put out on the scoreboard. The cheerleaders are an afterthought - you hardly ever see them trying to get the entire stadium involved. And the wireless coverage at Nippert is horrible. It may seem trivial but a great way to build buzz around the program is through social media. If your fans can't tweet or post on Facebook about the game while they're there you losing out on a great opportunity to have others promote the program for you.

UC not only needs to be more aggressive on the marketing side, they also need to make the gameday experience more exciting.

On the positive side, the team always plays lights out. The support from the students in the last few years has been phenomenal. And you can buy beer.

UC football has a lot going for it. They just need to do a better job of getting people excited and involved.
acCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #20
ME80

ME80 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
It's interesting that we keep harping that the fans are the only reason we have not gotten a bid. I think there is more blame to pass around. I know we may be talking about apples in oranges but isn't it interesting that for the 2011 seasons of basketball and football that Rutgers averaged 5,635 attendance in an 8000 seat arena and they had to do all kinds of begging for the non-conference games. They averaged 42,355 in football in a 52,000 seat stadium.

Maryland had 14,900 attendance for basketball in a 17,950 arena and averaged 43,000 attendance in football in a 54,000 seat stadium.
ME80 is offline   Reply With Quote