Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What seed will UC get this year in the Tournament?
1-4 24 38.71%
5-8 35 56.45%
9-16 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2016, 09:32 AM   #181
prancer

prancer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
Thanks. This year I'm going to save a few well known top 25 preseason rankings. AP coaches poll ESPN. Then I will compare them to the end of the season pre and post tournament.

Some overachieve with less talent in the regular season, but the cream usually Rises to the top later in the tournament. Talent wins.

Also curious how we think our team will do next year vs the prognosticators. I think they don't know all of the subtle details we know but they have a good idea of our overall Talent level without the fan bias.

Also wanna compare this year's preseason rankings to the final results. Just had my hopes too high this past year. Only to come Crashing Down
No need to save them, you can always access them. I just looked up NOVA on ESPN:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

You can look up the rankings for every week of the season going back over 10 years. I'm sure other websites have even more.
prancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #182
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
I think if you take some of the reputable top 25 preseason rankings, average them, that is a reasonable predictor. We tend to over analyze our "inside" information. For example pictures of the weight lifting, stories of how Shaquille was bummed out after losing to Kentucky etcetera. I'm just me being more cautious going forward.

We also know that the top four from the preseason top 25 is a pretty good predictor of NCAA tournament success. There are exceptions. Like Michigan State. I'm not sure what Villanova was ranked preseason.
Syracuse was the obvious outlier. Didn't receive a single vote in either poll and 45-50 teams did.
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #183
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Honestly we weren't that far from being the team a lot of people were expecting. If we split the buzzer beater games (2 pt games and overtime games we lost all 7) if we manage to win 3-4 of those we would have been ranked about where I thought we would be as a team coming into the season.

So there was reason for optimism...but there was an IT factor that we just didn't seem to have. That factor is so small it only needed to account for 2-3 points in 3 or 4 games. I think that IT factor is having a guy that can reliably create plays in crunch time whether it's making a clutch shot or a great pass.

Hopefully next year Troy and Jacob can do some of that when we need it. We haven't had that IT factor since SK and he had a very average (at best) supporting cast. Put an SK on the wing on this year's squad and we are an elite 8 or final 4 team. We don't need an all American but we do need someone who can create plays reliably.
Yeah we were close. That's where better talent really helps. If not we need to play to our potential/ less room for error.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:47 AM   #184
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer View Post
No need to save them, you can always access them. I just looked up NOVA on ESPN:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

You can look up the rankings for every week of the season going back over 10 years. I'm sure other websites have even more.
Thanx. Good reminder
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #185
prancer

prancer is on a distinguished road
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...or-next-season

Rothstein has Evans as one of his top 5 breakout players for next year too.
prancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:21 AM   #186
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I compiled some quick stats for what will be next years proposed roster. Hopefully we add someone as well, preferably another shooter.

A few things stand out to me from doing this:
1. Last year we had 5 guys with shooting percentages over 40%, and we are losing 4 of them. Only Clark is returning, thus we have 1 player on the team who shot over 40%
2. With the above said, we need significant improvements over last year in the shooting department in all aspects of the team. IF not, we could be very shooting 38% or so as a team and again will rely on defense only and even more so this year.
3. Our two big men in the starting lineup both can shoot the 3
4. But as a whole, we are a very terrible 3 point shooting team after losing Cobb.

All those things said, Im excited about next year. And I expect improvements from everyone.

Also attached below is the project roster for the 2017-18 season.

justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:07 PM   #187
Ryno99
Elite Member

Ryno99 is on a distinguished road
I get what you're saying on the percentages, but if you look at Evans last third or second half of the season, I think we can expect a lot of improvement from him to help with the shooting percentages next season. I would hope at least.
Ryno99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:36 PM   #188
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno99 View Post
I get what you're saying on the percentages, but if you look at Evans last third or second half of the season, I think we can expect a lot of improvement from him to help with the shooting percentages next season. I would hope at least.
Sure Im 100% an optimist about next years team. Im just saying, on paper with out improvements, it looks pretty bleak offensively but I expect Evans to shoot 45% or so next year and Maybe even the same for Caupain.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:51 PM   #189
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
I think next year Tre Scott and Cumberland are going to have to be major contributors . Scott has to be able to rebound and defend out on the floor like Justin Jackson did. Cumberland has to be able to score.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:25 AM   #190
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
https://twitter.com/Ucalum08/status/720217927379771396

Iowa St game is Dec 1st which is on a Thursday.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote