Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #61
kskenyon4
Senior Member
 
kskenyon4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 322
kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsNE View Post
Of course not but some of the teams in the AAC should be in the NEC (Iím joking). But Iím just saying you have to give a kid the opportunity thatís all.
Cane's usage rate is second on Cincinnati so far this year (23.5, same as SHU freshman year). So while on the floor, he gets his chance. While his minutes are 6th. When he committed, he knew Jenifer was on the roster, and more than likely didn't think the above would be any different.

kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #62
jacobkdoyle
Senior Moderator
 
jacobkdoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17,011
jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsNE View Post
Of course not but some of the teams in the AAC should be in the NEC (Iím joking). But Iím just saying you have to give a kid the opportunity thatís all.
Things are really going to start heating up down the stretch. We can win games against most teams with a player less than 100% sitting out or working back slowly until fully healthy. If Broome can get in a rhythm by the time we get to the @SMU, @Houston, and Wichita games, plus tournaments, he could easily be our X-Factor. His ability translates in March.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #63
jacobkdoyle
Senior Moderator
 
jacobkdoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17,011
jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Is it a crazy idea to bring Keith Williams along as a backup PG for the Logan Johnson years? I'm not saying only be a backup PG, hopefully he'd be a starting wing. But he handles the ball pretty well and isn't someone we'd want taking a lot of outside shots. He can get into the teeth of the defense. His length would make him good on the ball defensively. I just don't know if he has that mentality though. He looks to get his a lot. Often to his detriment. It's hard to tell how his career is going to go. He needs to slow down. He wants it so bad. But he must learn how to play in the flow. It's looking like a big challenge at this point, but there is still a lot of hope for him. Hopefully Evans stays and it gives Williams another year to develop. But the thought of him bringing it up at times as an older player seemed interesting to me.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #64
UCalum08
Epic Member
 
UCalum08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 6,827
UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Is it a crazy idea to bring Keith Williams along as a backup PG for the Logan Johnson years? I'm not saying only be a backup PG, hopefully he'd be a starting wing. But he handles the ball pretty well and isn't someone we'd want taking a lot of outside shots. He can get into the teeth of the defense. His length would make him good on the ball defensively. I just don't know if he has that mentality though. He looks to get his a lot. Often to his detriment. It's hard to tell how his career is going to go. He needs to slow down. He wants it so bad. But he must learn how to play in the flow. It's looking like a big challenge at this point, but there is still a lot of hope for him. Hopefully Evans stays and it gives Williams another year to develop. But the thought of him bringing it up at times as an older player seemed interesting to me.
Some good thoughts Jacob. Over the years of watching our freshman play, I have notice a very common trait with them. They all settle for way more jump shots than anything else. Specifically in Keith's case, it's tough to watch at times because it's obvious his strength is getting to the rim. Even as a freshman you can tell he excels at that. Freshman in general I think struggle to find their game with limited playing time and the game adjustment of being on the floor with better players just seems like a recipe for settling for jumpers. Diarra falls into this category as well. I really hope Keith continues to grow this season and doesn't shy away from what his strengths are right now. Because his jump shot is not one right now.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:15 PM   #65
jacobkdoyle
Senior Moderator
 
jacobkdoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17,011
jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Anyone else kind of relieved that T Moore and Nsoseme are making the bigger impact out of our FR? Williams and Diarra are both higher ceiling players in terms of athleticism, so I actually don't mind if it takes them a little longer. Bc for them, it's more about learning the flow of the game. But Moore and Nsoseme weren't nearly as highly rated, and I don't think Nsoseme was really even rated at all. So to see them make this transition removes any doubt about their ability to be contributing players at minimum. That's huge for us in the coming years.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:17 PM   #66
jacobkdoyle
Senior Moderator
 
jacobkdoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17,011
jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Anyone else kind of relieved that T Moore and Nsoseme are making the bigger impact out of our FR? Williams and Diarra are both higher ceiling players in terms of athleticism, so I actually don't mind if it takes them a little longer. Bc for them, it's more about learning the flow of the game. But Moore and Nsoseme weren't nearly as highly rated, and I don't think Nsoseme was really even rated at all. So to see them make this transition removes any doubt about their ability to be contributing players at minimum. That's huge for us in the coming years.
Think about the flip side. I think we'd all be concerned if Moore and Nsoseme showed what Williams and Diarra have to this point. Bc they don't have the "prospect pedigree" to fall back on.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #67
cincrulz11
Epic Member
 
cincrulz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,398
cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Anyone else kind of relieved that T Moore and Nsoseme are making the bigger impact out of our FR? Williams and Diarra are both higher ceiling players in terms of athleticism, so I actually don't mind if it takes them a little longer. Bc for them, it's more about learning the flow of the game. But Moore and Nsoseme weren't nearly as highly rated, and I don't think Nsoseme was really even rated at all. So to see them make this transition removes any doubt about their ability to be contributing players at minimum. That's huge for us in the coming years.

It was apparent even at the red and black scrimmage (I believe I commented about it at the time) that Moore and Nsoseme were more college ready players.


I remember fighting people when they were saying Williams was on the level of Evans and Cumberland as freshman.


Nsoseme never stops working and is pretty athletic and agile for his size. Moore is so serious all the time. When itís game time heíll run through a brick wall.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:01 PM   #68
ZCat
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 891
ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
I like our backup bigs, I really do. It's just hard for me to phantom the thought of two of them being our starters next year. I know a lot can change from now until then including progression, but seeing what we have now and then switching it out for two of them hurts. We shall see how this unfolds but realistically I hope we get a JUCO or grad transfer.

Like someone has mentioned before we have had some good seasons where we haven't gotten offense out of bigs before. I just wish those days were over because having scorers like Gary and Kyle is the reason IMO that we are on a different level this and year last year than years past.

My prediction for next year is that Cane needs to be Cane. A 20+ scorer every night. I also truly think Evans will be gone.

Cane - Jennifer-Johnson
Cumberland - Moore
Williams
Scott - Mamoudou
Brooks - Eli

3 scollys left. I hope we save a scolly for a transfer though. I really love having a transfer come in.
We haven't talked about this a lot yet, but wouldn't that be a big leap for Williams. Could he make the big adjustment?
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #69
jacobkdoyle
Senior Moderator
 
jacobkdoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17,011
jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
It was apparent even at the red and black scrimmage (I believe I commented about it at the time) that Moore and Nsoseme were more college ready players.


I remember fighting people when they were saying Williams was on the level of Evans and Cumberland as freshman.


Nsoseme never stops working and is pretty athletic and agile for his size. Moore is so serious all the time. When itís game time heíll run through a brick wall.
When it's not game time next year, he and Logan Johnson will be having dance offs lol.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:50 PM   #70
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Scottsdale, Az
Posts: 1,207
AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
When it's not game time next year, he and Logan Johnson will be having dance offs lol.
Funny, he does have that football mind set on the court.
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., - All material on this Cincinnati Bearcat discussion forum is strictly for entertainment purposes only. This site and any pages within are in no way affiliated with the University of Cincinnati. Any images, copyrights, or trademarks used on this site are used under the "Fair Use Provision" of the Copyright Act for purposes of comment, criticism, and news reporting.