Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-13-2021, 03:30 PM   #91
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
Don't recall asking for "top guys".

Look, if you think these 5 guys we've added are the best we can do out of a portal that has over 1,000 players in it then more power to you. Agree to disagree.
I've been tracking the 20 or so players who are good offensive rebounders for a while, and we landed one of them. We landed the best shot blocker available. We landed one of the best defensive wings available. These guys are absolutely some of the best players in the portal. Most of the 1,000+ transfers aren't any good at all.

The other two are young guys who have potential and know the Wes Miller system.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:39 PM   #92
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Don't recall asking for "top guys".

Look, if you think these 5 guys we've added are the best we can do out of a portal that has over 1,000 players in it then more power to you. Agree to disagree.
Then who do you want? If you don’t want “top guys”, who do you want? I just don’t understand what you’re saying. The guy has been here a month, probably hasn’t even bought a house. I understand wanting good players but he has to build a base first. He needed players quick because we had 4 players. He took players that he didn’t have to spend weeks recruiting so he could fill out a roster.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 05-13-2021 at 03:42 PM.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:44 PM   #93
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah, ok bud. Good luck with that.
wont need any luck. All youre doing is bashing someone in the first month of the job.

Someone who has put together proven staff at a high level. Did Mick ever have a high level staff when he started? Nope.

Someone who has brought in guys familiar with him to help create a culture with 3 starters from last years UC team plus 2 key bench guards. I guess we could have hoped for a roster of Cincinnati State guys again like 2006-2007? And before you say...well well UNCG is close to cincinnati state. UNCG was better than UC this year. In a conference that rated right below the AAC. Did he bring everyone? Nope. He brought a center(which we need) and a center familiar with what he wants.

He brought in 2 other UNCG guys who have 4 years left. 1 of them was rated higher than 80% of Micks recruits. 1 who shows a lot of potential and showed it towards the end of the season and can put the ball in the basket. Again...better than the gelawn guyns or trevor moores of micks tenure.

He brought in a former ACC starter who struggled last year coming back from injury. In a season with no preseason workouts to get you back in shape from a knee injury.

He brought in a guy from another ACC team. But oh no his team wasnt any good and they lost. Who cares if he went up against ACC teams, he played for a bad one so its all on him.

Am i forgetting anything else from the basketball god that is MDW79?

Last edited by itsamemario; 05-13-2021 at 03:48 PM.
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:48 PM   #94
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post

He brought in 2 other UNCG guys who have 4 years left.
You say this like it's a good thing.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:54 PM   #95
MDW79

Quote:
UNCG was better than UC this year.
Yeah, I'm going to have to call bulshit on that. At least it being presented as a stone cold fact.

Could they have beaten us? Maybe. Is is a defintite answer to say that yes, they had the better team? Absolutely not.

Here's who they lost to:

Winthrop, Duqesne, Coppin St, East Tennessee St, Wofford, Furman, Viginia Military Institute, and West Carolina.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:55 PM   #96
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You say this like it's a good thing.
I mean they went to the tourney. There are good players at all llevels
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:56 PM   #97
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
I think there is a perception among a lot of fans that since there are over 1500 players who have entered the portal, there must be hundreds who are capable of starting on top 50 teams. That's just not true. I have been tracking rebounders for weeks now, and the list of guys who are simply above average for the 4/5 position is only around 20. There aren't that many starting caliber player out there, and every team is competing for them.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:59 PM   #98
MDW79

Quote:

Am i forgetting anything else from the basketball god that is MDW79?
You know, it's funny you say that. Implying that somehow I'm representing myself as a "basketball god".

Not but a few posts ago you said you looked forward to coming back here and calling me a moron this time next year. You also said, twice, that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Am I opinionated? Sure. But I'm not exactly running around telling others they have no idea what they're talking about and calling them morons either.

If anyone is representing themselves as a basketball God or an authority it's you.

I'm just sharing my own opinions, and I think I've been respectful to the others here while doing so. You, not so much...
Old 05-13-2021, 04:06 PM   #99
MDW79

Quote:
. 1 of them was rated higher than 80% of Micks recruits.
Do a little more digging on that. That's a composite score from 247 with only one rating, where no one can figure out where it came from.

Look at his offers, they're not representative of a top 150 guy.

Then look at his stats. Top 150 guys that end up playing at school like UNCG (unicorn level rare) generally don't average 1.8 pts a game on a 6 minute of PT average.

You may come to realize that that ranking is entitely bullshit. Now, that's not to say the kid is terrible. He had a couple decent offers. I merely pointing this out because in no way was he a better recruit than 80% of Mick's players. If he was he would have never ended up at bs school like that to begin with.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:12 PM   #100
MDW79

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I think there is a perception among a lot of fans that since there are over 1500 players who have entered the portal, there must be hundreds who are capable of starting on top 50 teams. That's just not true. I have been tracking rebounders for weeks now, and the list of guys who are simply above average for the 4/5 position is only around 20. There aren't that many starting caliber player out there, and every team is competing for them.
There's plenty of better guys in the portal than what we got. Period.

I'm sorry, I can't put stock in some of your analytics. I refuse to believe Hayden Koval, an Arkansas St commit, who transfered to UNCG is the best shot blocker in the portal. That's lunancy.

Now, the numbers may say he is. You may be looking at blocks per minute, or whatever, and that's the conclusion. But what those numbers aren't accounting for is that they came against the likes of Wofford, Furman, East Tennessee, West Carolina, Coppin St, Elon, Samford, Mercer, The Citadel, etc.

Same goes for this defensive wing you spoke of. It';s a lot easier putting up decent analytics when you're playing Little Sisters of the Poor week in and week out.