Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-14-2021, 11:12 AM   #151
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
I guess you didn't make it clear you just demanded support for a month, and then if he did things we didn't agree with it would be time to bash him.

If they didn't agree with his approach or they felt the players he landed were lackluster then I would fully expect people to voice their concerns.

I don't see how questioning some of the players and coaches he's chosen to bring on is bashing him either. I haven't said he's a terrible person, or he doesn't know the game, or he's doomed to fail. I've been very specific with my complaints.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:17 AM   #152
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Newman wasn't a UNCG guy...he was a Wes Miller guy. He came to UC with Wes from Clemson.

As for Roberts...yes he WAS a UNCG guy but he went and got experience in the B10. And don't let his job title there fool you.
Bro will y’all please stop it. It’s nothing to argue here. Newman literally committed to UNCG
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:19 AM   #153
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
The hypothetical back and forth in here is tremendous lol.

But why not I guess......

Hopefully there is no way Wes Miller got the former portal players to return by telling them they would be starting, or the numbers of minutes they would garner under his watch.

As each day passes and our returning portal players see what Wes and company is bringing in, "They Better Get to Work".

Not saying better players are being brought in, but I would have to think everyone is auditioning for their role on this retooled basketball squad.
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #154
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I'll point out that he played 17+ minutes in half his games last year on a top 50 team. He played 23+ minutes in wins over Maryland, Alabama, and Florida St. His best offensive game was 12 pts in 23 minutes against Florida St. He played 29 minutes against Georgia Tech. In early January and then late in the year his minutes were drastically reduced, which brought his average down. Whatever the reason for that (injury or otherwise) Newman was playing 20+ minutes for a top 50 team.
I believe his production was down from the year before (due to injury) and he and the coach weren't seeing eye to eye on playing time. I mean he was playing 80% of the minutes the year before. So he likely wanted to get back to that level even though his production dropped. At the end of the year their relationship took a drastic turn (as rumor would have it) and he barely played from there on out.

So he basically left because his relationship with the coach deteriorated. I think we know that type of story very well. And that is why Harvey is playing for UCSB. But for some reason Harvey gets a pass and Newman deserved a downgrade. Go figure
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #155
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post
Gabe played 5 minutes last year..... Harvey was far from a "stud". What the hell does 75 mile radius to Cincinnati have to do with anything right now? Hes been on the job a month. Its not like there are any 2021 D1 players available right now. I swear people dont use their brains
What does 75mile radius have do with it? Buddy with Mick, John and now Wes I’ve wanted to hit local recruiting hard. It was actually my #1 requirement for new coach. Fact of matter is Wes has actually did exactly what I wanted just in different state and region. He recruited Carolina hard and I don’t blame him. Going forward I need to see Ohio connections. Darryn Peterson still hasn’t been offered. He’s 9th grader dominating 17u AAU right now, he’s probably already better than McMillan
Old 05-14-2021, 11:25 AM   #156
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Only 1 guaranteed starter and that’s Davenport. If everybody don’t know I wanted to upgrade the 3 and basically make JD a super sub. We can still use an elite wing
Old 05-14-2021, 11:29 AM   #157
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
That's the whole thing about what you are saying. Miller doesn't want a certain type of player mentality. I don't think Harvey would be a take for Miller on any planet. He doesn't have the intangibles Wes VALUES!

This isn't just about grabbing talent or points. It's also about culture and work and attitude. He's probably passed on a lot of talent so far because they don't fit the philosophy.

So if everyone on the roster is 2 feet in and likes to work and has insatiable desire to win at all cost and likes to dive on the floor etc. Then they are BETTER players for the team and system than some all star prima donna.

Also I doubt Harvey can defend nearly as well as Newman. That is 50% of basketball...defense. So you maybe lose a few points and gain some defense and gain the attitude you are looking for. Now who do you want?
Harvey had attitude issues? Gosh don’t let the angry kid play but go out our way to bring back kids that didn’t like to work hard in practice? I’m all in on Wes but please chill defending what’s before our eyes. Harvey is exactly type of player Wes is looking for, athleticism with decent size and can play multiple positions. I always thought Harvey was our best perimeter defender.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:36 AM   #158
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Bro will y’all please stop it. It’s nothing to argue here. Newman literally committed to UNCG
Harvey committed to UCSB. If he were to get snatched up by Kansas (before playing for UCSB would he still be a UCSB guy?

Would his skill level go down by transferring to UCSB from UC? Would his skill level go up if he went to Kansas?

The point is...he is who he is...he can either play or he can't. I think a healthy Newman can play at high level D1...whether he was going to go to UNCG or not. And if he was a UNCG guy...he would stay there to be close to family. If he were a Wes Miller guy he would follow him to UC.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:41 AM   #159
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Harvey had attitude issues? Gosh don’t let the angry kid play but go out our way to bring back kids that didn’t like to work hard in practice? I’m all in on Wes but please chill defending what’s before our eyes. Harvey is exactly type of player Wes is looking for, athleticism with decent size and can play multiple positions. I always thought Harvey was our best perimeter defender.
By most accounts Saunders and Madsen are both gym rats. First to get there and last to leave types. They didn't want out because practice was hard. They didn't respect the coach.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:51 PM   #160
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
By most accounts Saunders and Madsen are both gym rats. First to get there and last to leave types. They didn't want out because practice was hard. They didn't respect the coach.
That’s what they all say. Only player I’ve ever get seen labeled otherwise were Allen Iverson and Jarron Cumberland. Mick use flat out call him lazy