Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-25-2021, 08:10 AM   #201
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
I said all along with or without guys leaving we basically needed to upgrade the entire starting 5.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:24 AM   #202
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Defense is probably why Evan Miya had us as one of 5 teams to pull 3 top 100 players out of the portal. Actually 3 from top 80. For reference Eason was 79.

Also interesting Ody was in the 300s not too far from Vogt and Nysier. Also McGinnis was in the 300s.

Could not find Hensley.
Looked like he essentially had us ahead of Mississipi State (if you were to take a composite ranking), which makes absolutely zero sense.

I'm assuming these are the 3 top 100 transfers he ranked for them...

---Rocket Watts (Michigan State)
---DJ Jeffries (Memphis)
---Garrison Brooks (North Carolina)

I'm sorry, I just don't see any possible way that's possible. The only explantion I can come up with is this is some more analytics bs.

All of these guys were highly rated recruits, who played at bigger programs, who all put some legitimate numbers.

Garrison Brooks averaged 10 and 7 this year, and averaged 17 and 8.5 the previous year. At UNC of course. Was a top 100 recruit.

Rockett Watts was a top 40 recruit. Averaged 9 pts in 22 minutes a game as a TRUE FRESHMAN for a top 10 Michigan St. team in '19-20.

DJ Jeffries was a top 50 recruit who's been a 10 and 5 guy for Memphis.

We have 3 transfers that rank higher than these????
Old 05-25-2021, 08:36 AM   #203
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Apparently our highest rated transfer (#29) on Miya's tweet about having "3 top 100 transfers" is Hayden Koval.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this Miya guy has absolutely no clue what he's talking about.

To have Koval as our best recruit is absolutely absurd. To have him above Garrison Brooks, Rocket Watts, and DJ Jeffries is downright laughable.

I think analytics has finally jumped the shark. It's gone from a useful tool to something entirely different. If numbers are telling you that a 7 and 3 guy from UNCG is a better recruit than a 10 and 7 guy from UNC then those numbers are either flawed, complete bs, or both.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:36 AM   #204
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
The tweet says "according to our transfer rankings at EvanMiya.com". Those rankings and the process used to create them are free for anyone to look at. They don't handicap players for being freshman, highly recruited, playing in a major conference, or scoring lots of points individually. The rankings are exclusively based off of a player's efficiency and how the team peformed when they were on the court last year.

Watts played about the same minutes as Koval for a team that lost the play in game. He shot an abysmal 25% from three and 38% from two. He was a bad rebounder, didn't get to the FT line, and didn't get steals or blocks.

DJ Jeffries was a poor rebounder for 6'7" and a below average shooter (especially bad 56% FT). He played on a team that missed the tournament and was bad on offense.

Garrison Brooks was also a below average shooter. Taking 153 mid range shots at a sub 40% clip and shooting 60% from the FT line is not good basketball.

Even without looking at advanced analytics, these players were not great last year. The advanced analytics that include +/- say they were worse than Koval, which isn't that hard to believe. Maybe they have much higher potential (two are young), but Miya's rankings say nothing about that, and they don't pretend to.

Last edited by sedziobs; 05-25-2021 at 09:45 AM.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:32 AM   #205
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
Looked like he essentially had us ahead of Mississipi State (if you were to take a composite ranking), which makes absolutely zero sense.

I'm assuming these are the 3 top 100 transfers he ranked for them...

---Rocket Watts (Michigan State)
---DJ Jeffries (Memphis)
---Garrison Brooks (North Carolina)

I'm sorry, I just don't see any possible way that's possible. The only explantion I can come up with is this is some more analytics bs.

All of these guys were highly rated recruits, who played at bigger programs, who all put some legitimate numbers.

Garrison Brooks averaged 10 and 7 this year, and averaged 17 and 8.5 the previous year. At UNC of course. Was a top 100 recruit.

Rockett Watts was a top 40 recruit. Averaged 9 pts in 22 minutes a game as a TRUE FRESHMAN for a top 10 Michigan St. team in '19-20.

DJ Jeffries was a top 50 recruit who's been a 10 and 5 guy for Memphis.

We have 3 transfers that rank higher than these????
Money ball. It may not be flashy but defense and efficiency is a big part of the game. It's good to have some players who can make a play of course but it's not good to have them take a ton of shots at low efficiency. Even on offense getting buckets is only part of the equation. You have to be willing to do all the other stuff when the ball is not in your hands and you also have to be willing to find an open shooter rather than take bad shots.

I still want a play maker but I am good with the rest so far. I don't know how or if we are going to get another wing...but I sure hope we can get a scorer somehow.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:09 AM   #206
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
Apparently our highest rated transfer (#29) on Miya's tweet about having "3 top 100 transfers" is Hayden Koval.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this Miya guy has absolutely no clue what he's talking about.

To have Koval as our best recruit is absolutely absurd. To have him above Garrison Brooks, Rocket Watts, and DJ Jeffries is downright laughable.

I think analytics has finally jumped the shark. It's gone from a useful tool to something entirely different. If numbers are telling you that a 7 and 3 guy from UNCG is a better recruit than a 10 and 7 guy from UNC then those numbers are either flawed, complete bs, or both.
When guys like that make rankings they look at the stats and thats about it. But thats not to say Koval isnt going to be a solid piece. The biggest reason this guy has his ranking so high is because he makes 3s, makes his free throws and blocks a lot of shots.
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:53 AM   #207
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Looks like Lakhin is back in town and practicing with the team.

Are any of the newcomers not on campus and/or practicing yet?
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:36 AM   #208
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post

I didn’t see either Newman or McGinnis
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:42 AM   #209
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
I didn’t see either Newman or McGinnis
I saw McGinnis
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:03 PM   #210
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post

I thought that was Lakhin in the video. I'm glad he's back and working with the team. Rankings are whatever, but he was the 2nd highest ranked guy from last class, and I think we are pretty happy with the rest of them. If he can be an asset in the future that would be great.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote