Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 07-16-2021, 01:22 PM   #41
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Yes I absolutely love pick up and had feeling he was going he first signing. On side of cautious though he has knee problems/surgery so don’t know how soon he can play this upcoming season if he plays at all. Also IMPACT probably been training program than Monster factory. They actually have real pros of pros training year round.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:26 PM   #42
TheRealMick
Elite Member

I think we land still land 2/3 more local kids for next year class. Jones, Paul, Phillips, Evan, and it’s like two kids that’s not local but born in Cincinnati who on our radar also. Once Bond announces where he going soon I think that open things up for others to commit.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:27 PM   #43
TheRealMick
Elite Member

With NIL we should be able land any local kid we desire. Literally we could find way pay them ourselves! Is one year of Rayvon worth 100k?
Old 07-16-2021, 01:51 PM   #44
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Yes I absolutely love pick up and had feeling he was going he first signing. On side of cautious though he has knee problems/surgery so don’t know how soon he can play this upcoming season if he plays at all. Also IMPACT probably been training program than Monster factory. They actually have real pros of pros training year round.

We are at 13 scholarships filled for this upcoming season. That gives Sage a lot of time to get that knee straight. And I would find it pretty hard to believe there is a better monster factory than ours. Even "Teddy Grahams" (according to Washington) Cumberland came out looking ripped. Tolentino will come out looking like a brick shithouse
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:42 PM   #45
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
I think we land still land 2/3 more local kids for next year class. Jones, Paul, Phillips, Evan, and it’s like two kids that’s not local but born in Cincinnati who on our radar also. Once Bond announces where he going soon I think that open things up for others to commit.
I am thinking SF wing is the next priority. If we can get Jones he's a take for PG but we can wait a year on PG if we need to. Paul M. hasn't exactly been lighting things up lately...so what he did in his younger years vs now has to be considered. Other kids are catching up to him and possibly passing him by.

Bond would be a great catch and after that I would still lean towards a wing more than a point. Obviously you take any high level recruit you can get but focus should be wing right now. If we can land Jones we still need a wing.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:24 PM   #46
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Keith is receiving interest from Arkansas, Florida, Maryland, and Western Kentucky according to Jon Rothstein.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:14 AM   #47
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I am thinking SF wing is the next priority. If we can get Jones he's a take for PG but we can wait a year on PG if we need to. Paul M. hasn't exactly been lighting things up lately...so what he did in his younger years vs now has to be considered. Other kids are catching up to him and possibly passing him by.

Bond would be a great catch and after that I would still lean towards a wing more than a point. Obviously you take any high level recruit you can get but focus should be wing right now. If we can land Jones we still need a wing.
Paul don’t believe hype about him falling off. I see steph curry or trey young in his game.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:13 AM   #48
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Cincy Slangin has a great interview with a local scout who has watched a lot of Sage Tolentino. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...t/id1478020673

Some takeaways:
- Sage isn't that good of a three point shooter. He can shoot it, but needs to improve.
- He needs to put on a lot of weight. Most other negatives are due to his lack of strength: he doesn't rebound well, isn't physical, gets posted up on defense, gets pushed out of position when trying to post up on offense.
- Should be excellent rim protection. May get pushed out of position, but still often manages to recover with a block.
- Good handle and feel on the offensive end for his size.

What scares me is that Sage wants to play forward. Is he going to be another guy who wants to play on the outside and avoids the physicality on the interior? If he embraces his role as a center and the interior physicality - especially on defense - and puts on weight he's a great recruit.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:30 AM   #49
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Glad to snag this kid. We definitely need some size for next season and I'll always take a top 150 kid. The fact he was commited to Auburn is reassuring too; obviously Bruce Pearl saw enough in him.

With this said, it does appear to be he needs a ton of work and is going to take some time. I don't understand how a 7 footer, who is legitimate D1 prospect, can average 9 and 3 at Hamilton. I don't care if it's a new school or not. A 7 foot Jr should be grabbing more boards a game than 3 in High School.

Hopefully we can get some weight on him and he'll end up being a nice player in a couple of years. I just have a feeling he's nowhere near ready, and will get absolutely bodied until Rehfeldt has some time to work with him.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:36 AM   #50
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
Glad to snag this kid. We definitely need some size for next season and I'll always take a top 150 kid. The fact he was commited to Auburn is reassuring too; obviously Bruce Pearl saw enough in him.

With this said, it does appear to be he needs a ton of work and is going to take some time. I don't understand how a 7 footer, who is legitimate D1 prospect, can average 9 and 3 at Hamilton. I don't care if it's a new school or not. A 7 foot Jr should be grabbing more boards a game than 3 in High School.

Hopefully we can get some weight on him and he'll end up being a nice player in a couple of years. I just have a feeling he's nowhere near ready, and will get absolutely bodied until Rehfeldt has some time to work with him.
The guy on the podcast said most teams in the league play a 6'6"-6'8" football player at center and Tolentino gets pushed around a lot.

As most centers are, he's a recruit with potential who needs a lot of work. I guess he gets the higher rating because he has more offensive ability than most other centers and above average athleticism/mobility.

What scares me is in some of the longer videos of him he seems to shy away from contact. Plus he states he wants to play forward. Rebounding and defense are as much about mindset as about actual ability. Bruce Pearl and Wes seem to believe in him, so that's a good sign.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote