Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: Who leads the team in scoring?
Evans 20 52.63%
Washington 3 7.89%
Broome 5 13.16%
Cumberland 9 23.68%
Clark 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #11
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garybearcat View Post
Swap Broome 14.1 with Washington 11.8 and I'm in agreement.
Not sure why Washington isn't getting more run here. He lead the team in points per minutes. It would seem all he needs is more minutes to make a run for it. Just 27.5 minutes at last season's pace .52 points per minute would get him to 14.3 points. That's only 3 more minutes per game. All he needs to do is stop fouling early. He makes a very respectable amount of his shots.

I guess we could make a case we would like him to be more selective and pass the ball more...but if he does that and we increase pace they may offset.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #12
ThomasMac

ThomasMac is on a distinguished road
I’m going to preface this before I post my question… I’m excited about Cane Broome and the fast paced style that he will bring to this team, and I like that he’s aggressive and will get to the free throw line. But with that said, can someone sell me on why he would be a better fit than Troy?

I get that Cane is explosive and might allow us to explore a transitional style of play, but he will more than likely average more turnovers than Troy solely due to their differences in style of play (not a knock on Cane, just pointing out that Troy was fairly conservative). But isn’t a conservative point guard something this team would thrive on, especially with scorers such as Jarron, Evans, Clark, and Washington?

Once again, I’m not hating on Cane, I’m truly excited to see him play. But that’s just it… I’ve never seen him play besides a few Youtube videos of his time at Sacred Heart (I didn’t get to see the Red vs Black game last year).
ThomasMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #13
Garybearcat

Garybearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Not sure why Washington isn't getting more run here. He lead the team in points per minutes. It would seem all he needs is more minutes to make a run for it. Just 27.5 minutes at last season's pace .52 points per minute would get him to 14.3 points. That's only 3 more minutes per game. All he needs to do is stop fouling early. He makes a very respectable amount of his shots.

I guess we could make a case we would like him to be more selective and pass the ball more...but if he does that and we increase pace they may offset.
If we increase the pace which I hope we do then Washington's game will not fit this faster pace. He struggles to get back on defense when we played at slower pace from last year. I see his minutes & points decreasing if we are going to play at faster pace.
Garybearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:30 PM   #14
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If we increase the pace which I hope we do then Washington's game will not fit this faster pace. He struggles to get back on defense when we played at slower pace from last year. I see his minutes & points decreasing if we are going to play at faster pace.
That very well may happen. I certainly don't see him playing much more than he did this past season, considering we lost no interior players and add a few. Probably due to a combination of foul trouble and defensive liability, he played about 4 minutes per game less than Clark at 24.7 MPG.

If Keith Williams is as good as advertised, it would be fun to occasionally run a small ball line-up of Broome or Jenifer, Cumberland, Williams, Evans, and Clark.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:56 AM   #15
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I see your point. I would agree we are going to increase pace and subbing patterns will be interesting to see. I would hope conditioning takes a little higher priority this year...if not it would be a coaching mistake. We are still going to need to run half court offense and Washington is going to be valuable there. Fast breaks should go up but half court sets will remain the norm. We need Washinton rebounding (giving the outlet pass) so he won't be needed to be first down the court on breaks. The first three options on break should be guards and wings and occasionally Clark and/or Washington.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:10 AM   #16
waterhead
Senior Moderator

The results of the poll so far are that fans think Evans is the most likely candidate and I think that is a good choice with a faster pace. 47.83% of the vote (11 votes).

The next two in line with the fans are two newcomers to the starting lineup which I think is at least both possible and equally exciting if it happens. Each getting 21.47% of the vote (5 votes each). Cumberland and Broome.

Our bigs are also tied with only 1 vote each at 4.35% of the vote. I happen to think Washington will factor in but that's just my opinion.

In any event, returning our top 3 scorers but only having 1 of them in the top 3 this year would mean VERY good things IMO.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:23 AM   #17
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
The results of the poll so far are that fans think Evans is the most likely candidate and I think that is a good choice with a faster pace. 47.83% of the vote (11 votes).

The next two in line with the fans are two newcomers to the starting lineup which I think is at least both possible and equally exciting if it happens. Each getting 21.47% of the vote (5 votes each). Cumberland and Broome.

Our bigs are also tied with only 1 vote each at 4.35% of the vote. I happen to think Washington will factor in but that's just my opinion.

In any event, returning our top 3 scorers but only having 1 of them in the top 3 this year would mean VERY good things IMO.
Based on our expert BearcatTalk fan knowledge I would put these guys in the following tiers.

Tier A (maybe pushing 15ppg or so)

Evans

Tier B (maybe between 12-14)

Washington
Cumberland
Broome

Tier C (maybe 10-12)

Clark

Last edited by waterhead; 07-14-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:16 AM   #18
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Cumberland will be our leading scorer. No doubt in my mind. I love Evans and Clark but they don't have that killer instinct. Washington won't see enough minutes with fouls / poor defense. Only wild card is Broome who might be too small to replicate what he did in at SH. Of course I'm hoping to be proven wrong. This team could be bonkers if we see some Kenyon Martin /Steve Logan / Jaquon Parker -esque leaps in production.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #19
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
Cumberland will be our leading scorer. No doubt in my mind. I love Evans and Clark but they don't have that killer instinct. Washington won't see enough minutes with fouls / poor defense. Only wild card is Broome who might be too small to replicate what he did in at SH. Of course I'm hoping to be proven wrong. This team could be bonkers if we see some Kenyon Martin /Steve Logan / Jaquon Parker -esque leaps in production.
I agree 100% with cumberland being the leading scoring. Unless defenses completely try to shut him down, no doubt he will be the leading scoring. The last month of the season it seemed like it click for him that he could do whatever he wanted.
I hope Evans leads the team. That would mean he finally is taking the "my team" roll on, but I don't see him doing that.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:06 PM   #20
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I agree 100% with cumberland being the leading scoring. Unless defenses completely try to shut him down, no doubt he will be the leading scoring. The last month of the season it seemed like it click for him that he could do whatever he wanted.
I hope Evans leads the team. That would mean he finally is taking the "my team" roll on, but I don't see him doing that.
I think that it will be more interesting to see whose team this becomes next year (as opposed to who leads in scoring), now that Troy is gone.
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote