Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2012 Recruiting Profiles

Old 10-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
'12 NY PF Orlando Sanchez

Bronx, New York
Monroe College-Bronx
Ht:6'8"
Wt:210 lbs
Class:2012 (Junior College)

Named Honorable Mention NJCAA All American team last season. Sanchez, who finished third in the nation in blocks with 4.3 bpg and seventh in the nation with 11.8 rpg, put on a show in the national tournament. In Monroe's four games, he averaged 10.0 ppg on 15/21 shooting and 8.5 rpg. He also led the tournament with 12 blocks and was named to the All-Tournament team. He's Monroe's first freshman to be named as an All-American.

Orlando is a complete package-type player. He has good size, can run the floor, can rebound and play defense, and is a game-changing shot-blocker. He can also step out and shoot the three. Coach Brustad said that he expects big things from this big player, who played for the Dominican Republic 21-under team. A versatile athlete on and off the court, Orlando is an avid bike rider, fisherman, and swimmer.
He averaged 15.2 ppg, 5 rpg, 3apg, and 5 bpg for the DR national team
http://www.monroecollegemustangs.com...69&path=mbball

Last edited by bearcat jeff; 10-23-2011 at 05:47 PM.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Cincinnati is reaching out to him but is coming to the game late. Loves UK but doesn't have an offer yet:

Orlando Sanchez, a 6-foot-8 JUCO All-American forward from Monroe (N.Y.) College, has narrowed his list and will select a school in the spring.

Sanchez will be eligible for Division 1 in 2012 and holds offers from UMass, Providence, LSU, Rhode Island, Florida International and Baylor, according to Monroe assistant Brock Erickson.

He played on the Dominican Republic National Team under Kentucky coach John Calipari and is interested in the Wildcats, but does not currently hold an offer.

“Orlando is a very athletic player who is a tenacious rebounder and shot-blocker,” Erickson told SNY.tv. “He can take over a game on the defensive end. He has a great work ethic and is all about the team and winning.”

Monroe is ranked No. 5 nationally by The Sporting News after finishing No. 3 in the country last year (31-5).

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/10/12/o...-narrows-list/
Old 10-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Brustad shared that Providence assistant Brian Blaney has been leading the staff’s recruitment of Sanchez, who plans to sign during the spring signing period, according to his coach.

While reports circulated that Sanchez had formed a final list, Brustad said otherwise. “He currently does not have a list; however, the schools involved include Providence, Rhode Island, Southern Illinois, Cincinnati, Baylor, UMass, West Virginia, LSU and Texas A&M. There may be others that I’m forgetting off of the top of my head too.”

http://www.friarbasketball.net/2011/...ezs-coach.html
Old 12-28-2011, 05:50 AM   #4
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Maryland is now interested in Orlando.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Orlando Sanchez, a 6-foot-9, 205-pound face-up four man from Monroe (N.Y.) College, remains wide open in his recruitment.

“I don’t know what school I want to go,” Sanchez, a native of the Dominican Republic who played last summer for Kentucky coach John Calipari on the Dominican team, told SNY.tv Sunday. “I need to talk to my coaches.”

Sanchez has interest or offers from St. John’s, Providence, Mississippi State, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Oregon, FIU, Baylor, UConn, Iowa State, Texas A&M and Rhode Island.
“All the schools is good for me,” said Sanchez.

Asked if he could play in the Big East, Sanchez said, “Yeah, I think so. I prefer to play in that level or more.”

He said he doesn’t plan on making any decisions until after the season.

“I am focusing to stay good in my classes and the court too, play good for my team,” he said.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/01/30/o...en/#more-66257
Old 03-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

4. Is Orlando Sanchez the top available junior college big man?

During Monroe College's 2011 run at the national championship, 6-8 power forward Orlando Sanchez looked the part of a potential high major prospect. Now a sophomore, he has made good on his potential and established himself as a bona fide high-major target who is attracting interest from Cincinnati, Providence, Pittsburgh, St. John's and Texas A&M among others. He's mobile, rebounds and has become an effective scorer while averaging 10 points and more than seven rebounds per game on a very balanced team that enters the tourney ranked No. 3. Of any of the available bigs in the tournament, he may have the most established reputation and just how good he is will be a big factor for Monroe as it makes a run at the title.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...sp?CID=1345030
Old 03-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Sanchez a big attraction

Based in New Rochelle, N.Y., Jeff Brustad's Monroe College team is good. Actually they are real good. Ranked number three nationally in the final NJCAA poll, they have very good guards, tough wings, are well coached and feature perhaps the single most versatile big man in junior college basketball in 6-foot-8 forward Orlando Sanchez.

During their first round game in Hutch, Monroe faced a tough foe when they squared off with seventh ranked Indian Hills. With 18 points , 12 rebounds, four blocked shots and three assists, Sanchez was a big part of his squad's 81-69 win.

He handled the ball in open space, soared above the rim for dunks, made up for defensive mistakes with his shot blocking and did all the things that coaches from schools like St. John's, Providence, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and many other programs have grown to love about him.

"I think that coaches like his versatility," said Brustad. "He's got a high level ability to defend. He blocks shots, he rebounds and he's an athlete who can run the floor."

While Sanchez was able to score a bit on Tuesday, that's not always his game.

"He's not a high level scorer right now," said Brustad. "But he's a very nice complimentary player and he makes plays for other guys with his passing ability and can score some when needed."

A native of the Dominican Republic who has only been in the States for about a year and a half, Sanchez had the opportunity to play with his country's national team over the summer.

"He's gotten much better with his decision making," Brustad told Rivals.com. "Playing in the summer with Dominican national team helped. He had to play some at the guard and that really helped his overall game."

Buzz amongst college coaches around the Hutchinson Sports Arena Tuesday had Sanchez leaning towards St. John's or Providence. His coach wouldn't confirm any leaders, but did say that his player is likely to remain in the East and also talked about what will be important in the decision making process.

"I think that the people around him will want him to stay near the East Coast," said Brustad. "I don't think they are worried about playing time because that stuff will work itself out. Academic support is going to be a big thing for him with the language and needing the support for him with English being his second language."

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...sp?CID=1345764
Old 03-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
do u think this guy is worth a scollarship? next year we will already have jj, mbodj, ellis, gaines, and rubles for forwards i feel if we keep giving scolly's to big men some of our other big men will transfer. That being said we need someone to be able to fill the shoes of gates, i'm just not sold that we absolutely need much more depth at the pf/center position, Cash will be gone next year and we need someone to fill his shoes, i like guyn, but id like to see anonther TRUE pg like cash playing for UC
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
do u think this guy is worth a scollarship? next year we will already have jj, mbodj, ellis, gaines, and rubles for forwards i feel if we keep giving scolly's to big men some of our other big men will transfer. That being said we need someone to be able to fill the shoes of gates, i'm just not sold that we absolutely need much more depth at the pf/center position, Cash will be gone next year and we need someone to fill his shoes, i like guyn, but id like to see anonther TRUE pg like cash playing for UC
As I have said for months now, a pg would not shock me.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
Don't forget Cash was not a true PG in HS. He was more of a scoring 1/combo guard. The good news is players get better and evolve while in college.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote