Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #91
CaptDale
Elite Member

CaptDale is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
I think it's more a issue with his physical strength. In High School with his size and length he probably just jumped over people. He can't do that on this level. I agree with you he is making progress. It just takes some longer then others.
His body frame is long and lanky. Don't know how much he can bulk up although he can increase his strength with proper conditioning. You have to have a little mass to start if you want to bulk up. If you start lean, you'll stay lean.
CaptDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #92
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDale View Post
His body frame is long and lanky. Don't know how much he can bulk up although he can increase his strength with proper conditioning. You have to have a little mass to start if you want to bulk up. If you start lean, you'll stay lean.
CaptDale been a power lifter and now a body builder for many years. With the proper blend of Nutrition,cardio and lifting you can add lean muscle mass but it ain't easy and it won't happen overnight. You can add body weight but lean muscle is another matter.I just did a competition in October. My training schedule was 24 weeks long. My body weight started at 187 lbs and I was about 16 percent body fat. The day of the competition I was a flat 150lbs with 5 percent body fat. It takes lots of hard work and a ton of discipline.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #93
CaptDale
Elite Member

Quote:
CaptDale been a power lifter and now a body builder for many years. With the proper blend of Nutrition,cardio and lifting you can add lean muscle mass but it ain't easy and it won't happen overnight. You can add body weight but lean muscle is another matter.I just did a competition in October. My training schedule was 24 weeks long. My body weight started at 187 lbs and I was about 16 percent body fat. The day of the competition I was a flat 150lbs with 5 percent body fat. It takes lots of hard work and a ton of discipline.
After I did the Body for Life Program years ago, I wondered why my bulk didn't increase. My competition body-builder friend advised me that I had reduced my body fat so much that I wasn't going to bulk up, just maintain what I had built during the program. I was like you (only smaller). I went from 167 to 150 lean and cut. Maybe because I was so old (50 at the time) it had something to do with it. Nice to hear the perspective from another competitive body builder. I never competed, and now work out only to maintain (and fit in my 32" waist pants - my size forever). So hopefully there's a chance that Shaquille can bulk up. I know he can increase his strength. It added distance to my driver on the links, for sure.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #94
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDale View Post
After I did the Body for Life Program years ago, I wondered why my bulk didn't increase. My competition body-builder friend advised me that I had reduced my body fat so much that I wasn't going to bulk up, just maintain what I had built during the program. I was like you (only smaller). I went from 167 to 150 lean and cut. Maybe because I was so old (50 at the time) it had something to do with it. Nice to hear the perspective from another competitive body builder. I never competed, and now work out only to maintain (and fit in my 32" waist pants - my size forever). So hopefully there's a chance that Shaquille can bulk up. I know he can increase his strength. It added distance to my driver on the links, for sure.
At our age you have to be careful to avoid injury. The key is nutrition. I just turned 60 in October. I've given up the heavy lifting. I'm getting ready to start another cycle. Going to compete in the Nationals in July.I really got started in weight training because I found at a certain age I couldn't compete as I once did but lifting allowed me to extend the window. Again Nutrition is 90 percent of the game.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #95
CaptDale
Elite Member

Quote:
At our age you have to be careful to avoid injury. The key is nutrition. I just turned 60 in October. I've given up the heavy lifting. I'm getting ready to start another cycle. Going to compete in the Nationals in July.I really got started in weight training because I found at a certain age I couldn't compete as I once did but lifting allowed me to extend the window. Again Nutrition is 90 percent of the game.
That's what I fight all the time since if it tastes good, it's no good for you.
You hit my current philosophy on the spot - work out so as not to injure yourself. I'm 66 so I only lift if it doesn't hurt (210 max bench). Some ex I can no longer do because I can feel it's not good for me.
Good luck in the Nats. My Dad won a Gold Medal in the Senior Olympics in racquetball. I couldn't score 5 points off him. Frustrated the hell out of me.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #96
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
Was that dunk by ST at the end as good as I remember? Kinda took me by surprise and I was a little drunk lol.
It's definitely one of the top 3 on the year for me. JJ's put back dunk and JL's one dribble dunk are the other two that stand out for me. His dunk was awesome!! Can't wait for Mormon...I feel he's going to be a higlight dunk reel.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #97
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
Predictions? Things you're hoping to see?

I'm going with a 72-52 win for UC. Rutgers has been pathetic, sitting at 7-8 with some BAD losses (UAB, Drexel, William & Mary, Fairleigh Dickinson, etc.). They only lost to UL by 7 but I'm going to call that a fluke. I think UC has this one in hand from the start.

Has anyone heard anything about Guyn's health? Think he'll be okay to play? I know Lawrence is still out for a little while.
I rarely toot my own horn here, but I was damn close with my prediction lol, just one point over for each team. Although I was off in the fact that UC had it in hand from the start
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:35 PM   #98
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Here are the highlights, skip to the end if you want to see the big Shaq dunk:m.youtube.com/watch?v=F9G6WHMgEh0