Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-28-2016, 09:08 AM   #1
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
State of the Program

I saw on another thread where someone commented about how much money XU spends on their basketball program. I heard others say that we don't spend as much as them.

I've also heard many here say that we should be spending all this money to improve facilities and that the University hasn't given Mick the financial support his program has earned and deserves.

There's a lot of misinformation around here so I thought I'd do some quick research and cut through the crap.

I bet many of you would you be surprised to learn that UC spends more money on basketball than XU despite the fact that UC reported a $0 profit on basketball from the 7/1/14-6/30/15 fiscal reporting year.

In the fiscal reporting year of 7/1/14-6/30/15 Xavier University officially reported revenues of $12,100,195 from men's basketball compared to expenses of $5,518,383 for a total profit of $6,581,812.

In the same time the University of Cincinnati officially reported men's basketball revenues of $7,594,044 vs expenses of $7,594,044 for a net profit of $0.

My best guess would be that was some creative accounting done by UC's financial team to avoid showing that the program was actually losing money.

Just a little perspective for all of those who say that Mick hasn't been getting the things he deserves from our University. It's not like his program is making it easy for the University to want to throw any more money at it. Despite the fact that his program earned us $0 in the Q's 2/3-1/2 14 and 15 fiscal year he is the 22nd highest paid coach in men's basketball according to the most up to date reporting and we're set to move ahead with a $90 million renovation of 5/3rd.

Last edited by UCBearcats; 03-28-2016 at 09:15 AM.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #2
UCBearcats
Banned

Oh, and if anyone would like to see for themselves have a look......this information is readily available for anyone to find.

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/GetOneInstitutionData.aspx
Old 03-28-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Look man, once Cronin gets his fleet of fighter jets and Jerry Jones Stadium, we'll win it all every year. Right now he is skating uphill with both hands tied behind his back!
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Look man, once Cronin gets his fleet of fighter jets and Jerry Jones Stadium, we'll win it all every year. Right now he is skating uphill with both hands tied behind his back!
If UC got a stadium like Jerry Jones has we might mess around and with the NBA Title. After all the only thing holding us back is a new arena!
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
UCBearcats
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
If UC got a stadium like Jerry Jones has we might mess around and with the NBA Title. After all the only thing holding us back is a new arena!
There's no doubt Mick is a much more accomplished coach than Steve Kerr. I'd like our chances in a 7 game series......but only if Jenifer get's significant minutes.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #6
Nayers

Nayers is on a distinguished road
butts hurting sooooo bad
Nayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:15 AM   #7
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayers View Post
butts hurting sooooo bad
1-4 in the NCAA Tournament last 4 years.

1-3 all time in the AAC Tournament

4th and 5th place finishes in the AAC

Pace at the very bottom of D1 every year.

Same tired excuses.

Excuse me for not being content. I guess accepting any results makes a good fan. And I guess we should just be happy to have a basketball program.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #8
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Same tired excuses.

Excuse me for not being content. I guess accepting any results makes a good fan. And I guess we should just be happy to have a basketball program.
Not to belabor the point and I do understand tiebreakers for seeding in the conference Tournament but UC actually finished tied for 3rd both years (meeting expectations both years) in 2015 and 2016. You failed to mention that they tied for 1st in inugural AAC year (2014) when UL & UC tied at 15-3 exceeding expectations. Why leave out the 2014 year other than failing to fit your narrative? UConn, THE premier AAC program finished BEHIND UC all 3 years (yes, I know UConn did better in post-season)--T-#3 (2014); T-#5 (2015); and #6th (2016). I'm not saying Cronin is an elite coach, but his accomplishments the past 6 years are VERY consistent with the past 20 years of UC basketball.
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:01 PM   #9
westsidecat
Banned

westsidecat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
Not to belabor the point and I do understand tiebreakers for seeding in the conference Tournament but UC actually finished tied for 3rd both years (meeting expectations both years) in 2015 and 2016. You failed to mention that they tied for 1st in inugural AAC year (2014) when UL & UC tied at 15-3 exceeding expectations. Why leave out the 2014 year other than failing to fit your narrative? UConn, THE premier AAC program finished BEHIND UC all 3 years (yes, I know UConn did better in post-season)--T-#3 (2014); T-#5 (2015); and #6th (2016). I'm not saying Cronin is an elite coach, but his accomplishments the past 6 years are VERY consistent with the past 20 years of UC basketball.
Well if you look at it from this point of view, mick and uc are trending downward. From first to third, with the same results in march.
westsidecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #10
Ryno99
Elite Member

Ryno99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Same tired excuses.

Jacob, I don't think anyone that is supporting Mick as the Bearcats coach is accepting the status quo. In my case, I do expect better, but I also recognize other factors than just the coach come in to play. I truly believe that Mick is the right coach for the job long term. I mean look at all the national pundits, local sports writers, they all thought Cincinnati was screwed if Mick left, that the university couldn't do better "in the situation" it is in. I'm hoping that if they are able to move to a power 5, get a new arena that recruiting will start getting better, which in turn will allow for better results both in on court performance and financially for the university which will allow it to invest more in the program as well.

I think when it all comes down to brass tacks, no true fan is satisfied with the status quo its just the difference in perspective, some feel changing the coach is needed others feel other changes need to be made to allow the current coach to "grow" and advance the program. I'm one of those, I think Mick is the man for the job, does he need to evolve in some areas of his coaching, absolutely, but I don't believe the grass would have been greener on the other side had he left, I actually think the grass would have been dormant or worse dead. But that just my opinion.

At this point, we all know who the coach is going to be for the foreseeable future, now it's time for all of us as fans to support the program, get over past differences and do our best to help it move forward and quit with all the negative. We all have one thing in common if we're here posting, that's a passion for the Cincinnati Bearcats, let's put our differences aside and support them (including their coach) going forward.

What do you all say? Who's with me?
Ryno99 is offline   Reply With Quote