Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-28-2016, 01:13 PM   #11
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
Not to belabor the point and I do understand tiebreakers for seeding in the conference Tournament but UC actually finished tied for 3rd both years (meeting expectations both years) in 2015 and 2016. You failed to mention that they tied for 1st in inugural AAC year (2014) when UL & UC tied at 15-3 exceeding expectations. Why leave out the 2014 year other than failing to fit your narrative? UConn, THE premier AAC program finished BEHIND UC all 3 years (yes, I know UConn did better in post-season)--T-#3 (2014); T-#5 (2015); and #6th (2016). I'm not saying Cronin is an elite coach, but his accomplishments the past 6 years are VERY consistent with the past 20 years of UC basketball.
Doug, I was responding to the "butt hurt" comment. So I was listing reasons why that may be. It isn't all doom and gloom. You can easily come up with a list of positive things about the program in that time frame as well. The 1st place you mentioned, the 1st Team All-American, All-Conference performers, and NCAA appearances.

UConn has won 2 of the last 6 National Championships, so I'm not going to take much else they're doing into consideration in comparison to UC.

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 03-28-2016 at 01:16 PM.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:19 PM   #12
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno99 View Post
Jacob, I don't think anyone that is supporting Mick as the Bearcats coach is accepting the status quo. In my case, I do expect better, but I also recognize other factors than just the coach come in to play. I truly believe that Mick is the right coach for the job long term. I mean look at all the national pundits, local sports writers, they all thought Cincinnati was screwed if Mick left, that the university couldn't do better "in the situation" it is in. I'm hoping that if they are able to move to a power 5, get a new arena that recruiting will start getting better, which in turn will allow for better results both in on court performance and financially for the university which will allow it to invest more in the program as well.

I think when it all comes down to brass tacks, no true fan is satisfied with the status quo its just the difference in perspective, some feel changing the coach is needed others feel other changes need to be made to allow the current coach to "grow" and advance the program. I'm one of those, I think Mick is the man for the job, does he need to evolve in some areas of his coaching, absolutely, but I don't believe the grass would have been greener on the other side had he left, I actually think the grass would have been dormant or worse dead. But that just my opinion.

At this point, we all know who the coach is going to be for the foreseeable future, now it's time for all of us as fans to support the program, get over past differences and do our best to help it move forward and quit with all the negative. We all have one thing in common if we're here posting, that's a passion for the Cincinnati Bearcats, let's put our differences aside and support them (including their coach) going forward.

What do you all say? Who's with me?
Screw you and your attempts at optimism and level headed reasoning. I'm sure that come the start of next season I'll wipe the slate clean with Mick one again and get excited only to be gradually let down over the course of the season. It's becoming an annual tradition. For now though I'm going to be bitter and I'm going to complain because not only did Mick have another crap year but he also go my hopes up by pretending like he was going to leave.

I honestly don't put much stock in what a lot of the national pundits say and I put zero in what any of the local media have to say. Mick has personal relationships with a few of those national guys and all the local guys so I take a lot of what they say with a grain of salt.

I didn't see where all the national guys were saying UC was screwed if Mick left, I did see what a lot of the national guys were scratching their heads about why UNLV would considering paying Mick Cronin $3mm/year.

Last edited by UCBearcats; 03-28-2016 at 01:21 PM.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #13
westsidecat
Banned

westsidecat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post

I didn't see where all the national guys were saying UC was screwed if Mick left,
They didn't, there was very little reporting by the national media. If you wernt a fan of either school you didn't even know it was going on.
westsidecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #14
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno99 View Post
Jacob, I don't think anyone that is supporting Mick as the Bearcats coach is accepting the status quo. In my case, I do expect better, but I also recognize other factors than just the coach come in to play. I truly believe that Mick is the right coach for the job long term. I mean look at all the national pundits, local sports writers, they all thought Cincinnati was screwed if Mick left, that the university couldn't do better "in the situation" it is in. I'm hoping that if they are able to move to a power 5, get a new arena that recruiting will start getting better, which in turn will allow for better results both in on court performance and financially for the university which will allow it to invest more in the program as well.

I think when it all comes down to brass tacks, no true fan is satisfied with the status quo its just the difference in perspective, some feel changing the coach is needed others feel other changes need to be made to allow the current coach to "grow" and advance the program. I'm one of those, I think Mick is the man for the job, does he need to evolve in some areas of his coaching, absolutely, but I don't believe the grass would have been greener on the other side had he left, I actually think the grass would have been dormant or worse dead. But that just my opinion.

At this point, we all know who the coach is going to be for the foreseeable future, now it's time for all of us as fans to support the program, get over past differences and do our best to help it move forward and quit with all the negative. We all have one thing in common if we're here posting, that's a passion for the Cincinnati Bearcats, let's put our differences aside and support them (including their coach) going forward.

What do you all say? Who's with me?
Ryno, I can get on board with that. But it's hard to be so optimistic when we see the same coaching staff, and the same coaching philosophy...but somehow expect better results. I'm so reluctant to jump in with both feet bc I'm not sure what will make next year different from this year. And admittedly, I'm a little bitter bc I allowed myself to get burned by actually believing we'd see a tweak to our style of play. The scoring numbers as a whole were up, but in the biggest games and road games, it was the same old struggle to score 60 most of the time. I'm so tired of it. Not only are we not advancing anywhere in the postseason, but our games are boring as hell to watch a lot of the time. It just feels so stale. I'd love to see some new faces on the staff to try and give us a little bit of a new energy.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #15
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Doug, I was responding to the "butt hurt" comment. So I was listing reasons why that may be. It isn't all doom and gloom. You can easily come up with a list of positive things about the program in that time frame as well. The 1st place you mentioned, the 1st Team All-American, All-Conference performers, and NCAA appearances.

UConn has won 2 of the last 6 National Championships, so I'm not going to take much else they're doing into consideration in comparison to UC.
Sorry, that's what I get for skimming through this same discussion. I was just pointing out that based on the recent history of this program, Mick has done consistently well within that time frame. Everyone wants better results but realism needs to come into play.Does anyone think UC would have won all those CUSA regular season conference championships had UC been in the BIG EAST all those years? We'll never know but it is very doubtful. And of course Huggins' last decade here was VERY consistent with what we've seen the past 6 years. I don"t
buy into the idea Mick is disadvantaged because of lack of $$ and/or facilities, hell Butler made two straight Finals with less $$ and facilities. One Final 4 in the past 50+ years does not equal an elite program, even though UC had a pretty good 5 year run in the early 90's. UC had one other far better 5 year run in the 50-60's and that's been about it. Otherwise a solid top 30 national program.

Last edited by indydoug; 03-28-2016 at 02:04 PM.
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #16
Ryno99
Elite Member

Ryno99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ryno, I can get on board with that. But it's hard to be so optimistic when we see the same coaching staff, and the same coaching philosophy...but somehow expect better results. I'm so reluctant to jump in with both feet bc I'm not sure what will make next year different from this year. And admittedly, I'm a little bitter bc I allowed myself to get burned by actually believing we'd see a tweak to our style of play. The scoring numbers as a whole were up, but in the biggest games and road games, it was the same old struggle to score 60 most of the time. I'm so tired of it. Not only are we not advancing anywhere in the postseason, but our games are boring as hell to watch a lot of the time. It just feels so stale. I'd love to see some new faces on the staff to try and give us a little bit of a new energy.
Jacob, I feel ya with the style of play and that is the key area I hope that Mick and his staff can evolve. But that doesn't make me feel that he isn't the best option for the program at this point. We know what we've got at this point, let's rally behind it, create a fun enthusiastic environment for the players and support the program as a whole.
Ryno99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #17
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
State of the program. Mick is the coach.some like it some don't.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:35 PM   #18
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
State of the program. Mick is the coach.some like it some don't.
For me it's more about the exact same staff doing the exact same thing every year. I'm looking for something to shake things up. Get Kenyon on the staff, or another former player, or someone else who played the game somewhat recently for recruiting. Change the tempo, scrap the zone, run an offense almost exclusively that allows 4 guys spread on the perimeter. Focus less on weight lifting and more on quickness, fitness, and cardio. Something. Anything. Doing the same thing over and over and over and over isn't elevating our program.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #19
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
I am 100% behind coach, of course I wasn't ready to can Badger. That being said I think Tubberville needs to go. One thing I know these 6 years in a row to make the NCAA's, Cronin has done it without cheating or bringing in athletes that have baggage. Huggins teams had twice the talent of any of any of Mick's teams but at what cost to the reputation of U C.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:08 PM   #20
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
For me it's more about the exact same staff doing the exact same thing every year. I'm looking for something to shake things up. Get Kenyon on the staff, or another former player, or someone else who played the game somewhat recently for recruiting. Change the tempo, scrap the zone, run an offense almost exclusively that allows 4 guys spread on the perimeter. Focus less on weight lifting and more on quickness, fitness, and cardio. Something. Anything. Doing the same thing over and over and over and over isn't elevating our program.
While its unpopular I'll say it again.Get us in a P5 conference. Anything else is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titantic. 14-16 teams in the sweet 16 were all P-5 members. The gap is only going to get wider. Can't believe more people aren't upset about the fact we have spent much money to renovate Nippert to get us in the P5 and we are still on the outside looking in with a Football product on the field that is going backwards.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote