Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-16-2017, 10:24 PM   #21
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Easy to get assists just passing the ball around the perimeter when the guy hits a three pointer. Seriously, all assists are not created equal. Ask a neutra observer if our offense resembles Notre Dame's. LOL.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:33 PM   #22
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Wow. Well done with the spin. Those 5 games in 2013-14 were against MUCH BETTER competition. The fact that we can't even break 1 PPP against Tulsa and UCF (and barely against USF) is extremely concerning. The shooting has fallen off a cliff...evidence by all the games being below 35% from 3PT. We aren't playing well offensively at all, we are 3rd in our own conference. I think Jacob said it, but Mick loves for every game down the stretch of a season to be a grind-it-out win. That style will not work in the NCAA's. I guarantee that. We are looking at another early exit if we don't start shooting better and running offense. Watching UC completely give up on running sets late in the SMU game was all too familiar for me.

I felt quite confident after the Xavier game. That's what a high major college game should look like. I don't know if the team is wearing down or is in a funk but I am not optimistic any longer...

You win. I quit with you man.

You convinced me. That 1 loss after winning 15 straight has me ready to throw in the towel too.

I used to really like your analysis back before you become the most jaded UC fan. But man, Mick and UNLV really did a number on you. We are 23-2 and yet you seemed more optimistic last year when we were 19-8 at this time.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:33 PM   #23
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Dude in most of Mick's teams, we couldn't score 90 if the other team let us.

Its funny; Mick wanted to mirror his offense after Notre Dame's and ND's is always top 10 in Assist to TO ratio every year. 1 year after trying the new approach we are 3rd in Assist to TO ratio and ND is second.

I'd call that making a plan and executing it. You can also call it good coaching
Someone posted an article the other day about our offense this year and it had to go back to years like 99-00 and 01-02 to find UC teams that averaged and scored the way this team has. We can't stop now. Gotta stay committed to finishing strong for the SRs. Caupain is going to have to be a big part of that. Not just hitting shots, but setting the tone. His individual struggles cannot impact the rest of the rhythm we need.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:35 PM   #24
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Easy to get assists just passing the ball around the perimeter when the guy hits a three pointer. Seriously, all assists are not created equal. Ask a neutra observer if our offense resembles Notre Dame's. LOL.
But I thought we couldn't shoot? So why are the assist numbers lightyears better than the 13-14 team you referenced that also couldn't shoot?
Old 02-16-2017, 10:42 PM   #25
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I never said we looked exactly like ND. We adapted some of their philosophy and all the sudden we are 3rd in the country in Assist to TO Ratio. We are also 13th in assists per game.

We have better post players than ND so we still do play more inside out and it works for us.

And I was making the point that this team has very little in common with the 2013-14 team. We are balanced. We are more efficient. We shoot better. We Share the ball and we protect the ball better. Its not even really debatable. The numbers don't lie.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:54 PM   #26
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
But I thought we couldn't shoot? So why are the assist numbers lightyears better than the 13-14 team you referenced that also couldn't shoot?
I said the shooting has fallen of a cliff. We've shot a ton more three pointers this season at a slightly better rate. In 2013-14 we made 196/585 3PT (33.5%) and 167 were assisted (85.2%). This season we are already at 192/546 (35.2%) and 176 were assisted (92.7%).

The biggest difference? SK only was assisted on 76.2% of his attempts (he had the most attempts on the team) while this year Kevin Johnson has had been assisted on 100% of his threes (he is second by 6 attempts on the team).

The assist numbers are up, sure. How much is due to us just being a marginally better shooting team where our main attempt guy is a catch and shoot guy?
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:59 PM   #27
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
I said the shooting has fallen of a cliff. We've shot a ton more three pointers this season at a slightly better rate. In 2013-14 we made 196/585 3PT (33.5%) and 167 were assisted (85.2%). This season we are already at 192/546 (35.2%) and 176 were assisted (92.7%).

The biggest difference? SK only was assisted on 76.2% of his attempts (he had the most attempts on the team) while this year Kevin Johnson has had been assisted on 100% of his threes (he is second by 6 attempts on the team).

The assist numbers are up, sure. How much is due to us just being a marginally better shooting team where our main attempt guy is a catch and shoot guy?
I haven't dug that deeply into the numbers but I'd be willing to bet that having 5 guys who can shoot the 3 all on the floor together has helped.

Holy crap just looked it up and saw that SK led the team with 2.5 assists per game that year. That is unbelievable. We have 4 guys this year ahead of Caupain who was #2 that year. And Caupain and Evans are ahead of where SK was at.

Even if you want to attribute it 100% to shooting more 3s, we're hitting them at a better rate and shooting more of them, so that makes the offense better by itself.

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 02-16-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:13 PM   #28
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I haven't dug that deeply into the numbers but I'd be willing to bet that having 5 guys who can shoot the 3 all on the floor together has helped.

Holy crap just looked it up and saw that SK led the team with 2.5 assists per game that year. That is unbelievable. We have 4 guys this year ahead of Caupain who was #2 that year. And Caupain and Evans are ahead of where SK was at.

Even if you want to attribute it 100% to shooting more 3s, we're hitting them at a better rate and shooting more of them, so that makes the offense better by itself.
So if the offense truly has fallen off a cliff, my question is why? Is it bc we're in a team slump? Or bc we're doing something completely different? Are a higher % of our shots 3s compared to earlier in the year? Are possessions down? Is our time per possession up?
Old 02-17-2017, 04:36 AM   #29
2bearcatdad

2bearcatdad is on a distinguished road
This thread was 100% predictable.

When being "right" about the direction of a program or the quality of it's leadership is more important than actually analyzing the team or being a fan of that program- this is what you get.

Some were excited about getting this element back on the board.

Ok - enjoy.
2bearcatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:08 AM   #30
Bearcat513
Elite Member

Bearcat513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bearcatdad View Post
This thread was 100% predictable.

When being "right" about the direction of a program or the quality of it's leadership is more important than actually analyzing the team or being a fan of that program- this is what you get.

Some were excited about getting this element back on the board.

Ok - enjoy.
I don't see anything wrong with what this thread has been. If you do then just skip out of it.

I agree somewhat with NTS. The play of the team recently has not been as good as it was. I don't think NTS is upset with being 23-3 but he's upset we have been performing poorly on the offensive end in the last 4 of 5 games. We crawl the ball up the court and pass around the perimeter. UC has probably average 3 shot clock violations in the last 3 games. That's terrible.

The free flow offense Mick talked about seems to have gone away. That's not a good sign and I hope tomorrow against Tulsa it makes it's return and we blow them out.

But, it has to return to road games too. Playing away from home after March 5th will be a challenge if we continue to struggle to get 60 points away from 5/3 Arena.
Bearcat513 is offline   Reply With Quote