Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: How far will UC make it in the AAC Tournament?
Quarterfinals 0 0%
Semifinals 0 0%
Finals 5 18.52%
Tournament Champions 22 81.48%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2017, 06:05 PM   #11
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
If UConn wins tonight, they are pretty much locked into the #5 seed worst case since both Memphis and Tulsa have to play games @SMU. That means the game on Sunday will essentially be meaningless for seeding purposes.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:38 PM   #12
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
If UConn wins tonight, they are pretty much locked into the #5 seed worst case since both Memphis and Tulsa have to play games @SMU. That means the game on Sunday will essentially be meaningless for seeding purposes.
Looks like they play tomorrow
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:39 AM   #13
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Looks like much of the conference tourney is pretty much set except for a couple of minor seeding issues. Most likely scenario...

First round #8/#9 should be Temple vs ECU. The winner plays #1 SMU in 2nd round

#4/#5 should be UConn vs UCF. The winner will probably play SMU in the 3rd round.

First round #7/#10 should be Memphis vs Tulane. Winner plays #2 UC.

First round #6/#11 should be Tulsa vs USF. Winner plays #3 Houston.

I could be wrong about some of this but I like SMU, UConn, UCF in the other bracket. I also like getting a chance at 3 wins against Houston.

Last edited by waterhead; 03-01-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:17 AM   #14
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Looks like much of the conference tourney is pretty much set except for a couple of minor seeding issues. Most likely scenario...

First round #8/#9 should be Temple vs ECU. The winner plays #1 SMU in 2nd round

#4/#5 should be UConn vs UCF. The winner will probably play SMU in the 3rd round.

First round #7/#10 should be Memphis vs Tulane. Winner plays #2 UC.

First round #6/#11 should be Tulsa vs USF. Winner plays #3 Houston.

I could be wrong about some of this but I like SMU, UConn, UCF in the other bracket. I also like getting a chance at 3 wins against Houston.
So basically we play Memphis first game, Houston second game and then SMU Championship if everything goes as planned?
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:41 AM   #15
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
So basically we play Memphis first game, Houston second game and then SMU Championship if everything goes as planned?
As it stands I think so...If the seeds hold up as is. We could play Tulsa but I think Memphis owns the tie breaker. I would expect both teams to end 9-9 with remaining schedule.

Last edited by waterhead; 03-01-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:55 AM   #16
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
You gotta think SMU with two home games remaining will win out. UC would be locked in as 2 seed in that scenario or even if SMU loses 1 and we win out. I haven't checked all the tie breakers but Houston should be locked at the 3 with one easy win. Uconn should lock up being in the 4-5 game tonight with a win and play against UCF.

Memphis and Tulsa are either 6 or 7 seed. They are 8-8 with both @SMU and an easy game left. I think Memphis gets the tie. ECU and Temple are either 8 or 9 but they would play each other so doesn't matter. Tulane is up one game on USF but who cares.

Last edited by waterhead; 03-01-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:51 PM   #17
IABearcat

IABearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
You gotta think SMU with two home games remaining will win out. UC would be locked in as 2 seed in that scenario or even if SMU loses 1 and we win out. I haven't checked all the tie breakers but Houston should be locked at the 3 with one easy win. Uconn should lock up being in the 4-5 game tonight with a win and play against UCF.

Memphis and Tulsa are either 6 or 7 seed. They are 8-8 with both @SMU and an easy game left. I think Memphis gets the tie. ECU and Temple are either 8 or 9 but they would play each other so doesn't matter. Tulane is up one game on USF but who cares.
IF we somehow end up tied with SMU we get the 2 because it goes down the line in standings and record vs common opponents. The first one SMU would have an advantage would be UCF they'd be 1-0 we would be 1-1.

Unless Memphis or Tulsa passes UCF in the standings UC has the 2.
IABearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #18
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by IABearcat View Post
IF we somehow end up tied with SMU we get the 2 because it goes down the line in standings and record vs common opponents. The first one SMU would have an advantage would be UCF they'd be 1-0 we would be 1-1.

Correct. In order for UC to get the #1 seed:

SMU has to lose to Tulsa and Memphis
OR
SMU has to lose to Tulsa AND Tulsa has to finish 2-0 AND UCF has to lose to USF
OR
SMU has to lose to Memphis AND Memphis has to finish 2-0 AND UCF has to lose to USF

Very, very unlikely scenarios.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:17 PM   #19
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IABearcat View Post

Memphis or Tulsa would have win out which includes away games at SMU and UCF would have to get beat by USF...just to tie. Highly unlikely. Speaking of highly unlikely...there is still the outside chance that we win out and SMU loses two at home. I don't see either happening of course.

Virtual lock on the two seed.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #20
2bearcatdad

2bearcatdad is on a distinguished road
UConn lost to ECU. Now they'll likely end up 9-9 with Memphis & Tulsa.

Anyone know who's got the tiebreaker?
2bearcatdad is offline   Reply With Quote