Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-09-2017, 09:53 AM   #1
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
UC Being Targeted?

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...eted/98863372/

Ugh, another one of these stories? I think I've made it pretty clear how I feel about Mick when it comes to his complaining about stuff like this but I thought this article warranted discussion.

Personally I feel like our style of play (especially on the road this season) can lead to a more tough and physical game, I thought that's what coach wanted? I really hope this team is focused on the right things heading into the next couple of weeks, every game will be tough from here on out.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
coachpipe
Banned

coachpipe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...eted/98863372/

Ugh, another one of these stories? I think I've made it pretty clear how I feel about Mick when it comes to his complaining about stuff like this but I thought this article warranted discussion.

Personally I feel like our style of play (especially on the road this season) can lead to a more tough and physical game, I thought that's what coach wanted? I really hope this team is focused on the right things heading into the next couple of weeks, every game will be tough from here on out.
I cant read the story because why the hell would i give the enquirer money. But physical play and players taking cheap elbows to the face are two different things. Clark took one to the face. Mick is sticking up for his players.
coachpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
I would have to listen again but I don't think he just brought this up out of the blue. I think someone asked him about it during the radio show. Plus, Cronin watches the tape. I'm sure he sees stuff that we don't during a live, one time viewing. This article makes it sound like he is complaining to the league in general...I believe it was only about the Clark elbow. In the full comments on the show, there was much more detail from Coach and in no way shape or form was it in a whiny tone. If my guy got blasted the way Clark did, I'd be pissed too.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:13 AM   #4
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
The very first paragraph says "nowadays" but Cronin specifically said it's only been a couple weeks where he saw some things. Really misleading. You have to sift through the whole article to see what was actually said. The headline and opening paint a picture that I did not get when I heard all of this.

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 03-09-2017 at 10:17 AM.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #5
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
like with the other stuff, listening to the actual interview vs reading it in some article will give you 2 vastly different views on how cronin came across.

he simply said they are beating the crap out of teams on the boards so coaches have instructed their guys to man up and get physical with us, just like any coach would because all coaches want to win. he thinks our guys have done a great job of not retaliating but called to tell the league office what happened to gary isn't acceptable.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
I cant read the story because why the hell would i give the enquirer money. But physical play and players taking cheap elbows to the face are two different things. Clark took one to the face. Mick is sticking up for his players.
Just clear your browser cache and you can read it.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:15 AM   #7
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
He is playing it smart. He wants the officials to watch for this kinda stuff in the AAC tourney because he doesn't want his kids to retaliate because they'd throw the book at them and it would screw our tourney chances.

I think he is teaching his kids to be tough on the court but not be baited into showing your tough off the court.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #8
eric3287

eric3287 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
like with the other stuff, listening to the actual interview vs reading it in some article will give you 2 vastly different views on how cronin came across.

he simply said they are beating the crap out of teams on the boards so coaches have instructed their guys to man up and get physical with us, just like any coach would because all coaches want to win. he thinks our guys have done a great job of not retaliating but called to tell the league office what happened to gary isn't acceptable.
I agree. I heard the interview and didn't think anything of it. It is worth pointing out another bad thing about the AAC is the garbage officiating they end up with night after night. Every other game I turn on I see refs adhering to the freedom of movement rules that are supposed to be a "point of emphasis," and then see the AAC morons call about 8 travels after a pump fake because they don't know what a travel is.

I think the best officiated game I've seen UC play in this year was the Shootout. Those refs actually called fouls when UC drove to the basket and got bumped on the drive, as they are supposed to. I think the way UC defends, and the conference they are in, put them at a disadvantage with the officials. UC always defends well with their feet, beating the ball handler to the spot (or, when they do get beat, funneling him into the big guys). You very rarely see a UC defender put an arm on a guy with the ball. Those type of fouls are exactly what these refs let guys get a way with. Cumberland has pump faked 4 or 5 times just in the last 3 games, gotten the defender to leave his feet, dribbled into the defender, and no whistle. You can almost see him waiting for the foul call because it's such an obvious foul. Then, the blind mice they run out there call fouls almost every time someone misses a bunny shot. If the refs in the NCAA Tournament allow the freedom of movement, I think the offense will be just fine.
eric3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:47 PM   #9
RedlegZdid
Banned

RedlegZdid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Just clear your browser cache and you can read it.
Or go incognito
RedlegZdid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:50 PM   #10
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Danneman got Mick to go off again...........I REALLY wish he would just shut up.

https://twitter.com/FOX19Joe/status/841727915997962245

For a guy who keeps telling everyone he could care less or he doesn't think about it he sure seems to go off on a tangent every time he gets asked a question.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote