Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-13-2017, 02:37 PM   #11
NKY Bearcat

NKY Bearcat is on a distinguished road
Also for those who are hopeless, and want to shit on the future Big 12 leftovers. Below is your likely conference.

Iowa St
Kansas St
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia

Adding the Following:

Cincinnati
BYU
SMU
Houston
Memphis
UConn/Colorado St

A good basketball conference at all and pretty decent football. Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas are leaving the Big 12.

UC just needs to wait for the right opportunity for their programs, and not kill football like UConn is thinking of doing.
NKY Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:27 PM   #12
FTBearcats

FTBearcats is on a distinguished road
The committee is looking at ticket sales, that is pretty obvious when you look at Indianapolis this weekend. And then they shove to Cronin, for him calling them out on what they clearly do, by sending UC to california with a potential 2nd rd matchup with UCLA.
FTBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #13
RedlegZdid
Banned

RedlegZdid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTBearcats View Post
The committee is looking at ticket sales, that is pretty obvious when you look at Indianapolis this weekend. And then they shove to Cronin, for him calling them out on what they clearly do, by sending UC to california with a potential 2nd rd matchup with UCLA.
90% of tickets were sold before the bracket even came out. Also they make most of their money from TV, not ticket sales. I like Cronin but I think he sounded foolish on this one.
RedlegZdid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #14
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
How and when?
Great question. I think the university is doing all the right things to be ready (facility upgrades, etc). So that's the how.

I understand the when is not up to us. Be ready when opportunity strikes. And as someone mentioned, if the BIg 12 blows up, the leftovers can be an excellent basketball conference and a decent football conference. Not as good, but way better than we have.

But the reality is, the NCAA committee just made a big statement that the power conferences run more than just football. Everyone thought bball might be immune to the trend....it isn't.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:08 PM   #15
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegZdid View Post
90% of tickets were sold before the bracket even came out. Also they make most of their money from TV, not ticket sales. I like Cronin but I think he sounded foolish on this one.
Ummm...the obvious answer is they do it fro ratings.

And if the NCAA wasn;t concerned about ticket sales they wouldn;t have created the pod system. So they are hypocrites when they talk like that.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:27 PM   #16
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Ummm...the obvious answer is they do it fro ratings.

And if the NCAA wasn;t concerned about ticket sales they wouldn;t have created the pod system. So they are hypocrites when they talk like that.
Yeah exactly. KU fans already knew they were going to Tulsa. No chance they weren't. As long as the pods have been in place, I don't ever remember them having to travel more than a couple hours, regardless of "region". It's easy for the blue bloods to look at locations and do an easy process of elimination for where they'll play. And which fan bases are buying the most tickets? BBN or St. Mary's fans? Like I said in the other thread, how can Sacramento be hosting the East and South regions, but not the West? Why is Buffalo hosting the West region? It's so stupid.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:29 PM   #17
FTBearcats

FTBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
90% seems like a bold #.
FTBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #18
SMU_law

SMU_law is on a distinguished road
It's pretty obvious that the committee has been searching for a criteria that screws mid-majors and non power five conferences for a while. A few years ago it was strength of schedule then it was not having bad losses, and now they seem to have settled on wins versus quality opponents. I give 'em credit that this is a criteria they can use for a long time as P5 opponents won't fairly schedule a team like SMU or Wichita State. So are teams are always going to be capped in the 3-7 "good win" range. You Temple UCONN, and Memphis to a lesser extent can rely on your history to get some good games but at SMU we are SOL. Only way for this to get resolved is the the AAC to earn a status by having all of the top teams preform in a year and having the mid teams be decent. Even still we are probably looking at this league being capped at a 4 bid league with the 4th/5th team being bubble. Then we have to make deep runs in the tournament.

I'd love to have a conversation with the committee and have them try to explain how there are 20 teams better then SMU and UC. Analytics don't back it up and neither does the eye test to anyone who watches College BB seriously.
SMU_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:12 PM   #19
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Article from Ken Pomeroy himself that touches on a lot of this.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...ools_like.html
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:49 PM   #20
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Those tickets were predominantly sold to scalpers. The secondary ticket market is big business for the NCAA. Sell the tickets once, make full profit, and then charge fees for resale and make a secondary profit. They have their own resale site. Crooks.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote