Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
mplebanon
Elite Member

mplebanon is on a distinguished road
While Cash, Jaquon, and Mbodj will be missed next season, this season has been a bit of a disappointment.

Next year will be full of inexperienced players other than S K and JJ.

The season will most likely be mediocre due to inexperience at PG and the low post. But it might be more exciting due to an influx of better talent but simply lacking experience.

As to who goes to open up a scholarship........it might sort itself out if someone transfers on their own. I could see any number of players being disappointed in their chances of playing time next season with Lawrence coming in and Rubles seemingly locked in at SF. Thomas might leave. I could see Sanders leaving other than being a Mick favorite. Apparently JDIII and Mick have locked horns at times.........transfer candidate? Not trying to spread rumors, just pointing out that anything can happen.
mplebanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Jack, also looking forward to that but I think the key will be finding a PG out of the group. Can't see GeLawn being the man to run the offense. Hope one of the recruits has the ability. Also not sold on JDIII. Most reports I read on him indicated his lefthand was not up to par. We desperately need someone who can drive,dish and distribute. Oh, and if he is playing for Mick he better be able to guard.
Disagree on your assessment of JDIII. His forte coming in was passing. This team sorely needs a player who can see the court and make the timely pass. I've seen him make some exceptional passes in his short time here. I'm also impressed with his gutty play when something big has to happen. He had at least one buzzer beater (maybe two) last year. He seems to want the ball in those moments. To me, he is a pretty complete player...pretty good at everything and he seems to make things happen...seems to be in the right place at the right time. My only concern is his speed. He's a lot like Sanders. With either of those guys, give them a little more speed and you'd really have something. I've heard that Davis has been really good in practice all season. I think he will be a huge part of this team next year!
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
Nyarsuk has not improved really at all throughout the season and I don't see him really contributing next season either.

He won't leave as a senior, but one can dream. I have been overly disappointed with how raw he is.
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #14
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
Disagree on your assessment of JDIII. His forte coming in was passing. This team sorely needs a player who can see the court and make the timely pass. I've seen him make some exceptional passes in his short time here. I'm also impressed with his gutty play when something big has to happen. He had at least one buzzer beater (maybe two) last year. He seems to want the ball in those moments. To me, he is a pretty complete player...pretty good at everything and he seems to make things happen...seems to be in the right place at the right time. My only concern is his speed. He's a lot like Sanders. With either of those guys, give them a little more speed and you'd really have something. I've heard that Davis has been really good in practice all season. I think he will be a huge part of this team next year!
You must be thinking of someone else. JDIII did not have any buzzer beaters last year. And he is way, way faster than Sanders. JDIII actually has good speed.

As for being good in practice, well the guy that sits out is always the best. It never fails. Sanders was going to be an all american this year based on how he was practicing. SK's handles were no longer an issue based on practice. I think JDIII will be a good player but taking everything you hear about practice with a huge grain of salt.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #15
L-T
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
You must be thinking of someone else. JDIII did not have any buzzer beaters last year. And he is way, way faster than Sanders. JDIII actually has good speed.

As for being good in practice, well the guy that sits out is always the best. It never fails. Sanders was going to be an all american this year based on how he was practicing. SK's handles were no longer an issue based on practice. I think JDIII will be a good player but taking everything you hear about practice with a huge grain of salt.
Nope, I'm thinking of JDIII. He was the player who had the gonads to take (and make) the game-tying three with 8 seconds remaining against St. Johns last year. While it was not right at the buzzer, it was every bit equivalent to a buzzer beater in it's significance, in that there was a ton of pressure and if he misses...game over. I remember one other big shot he hit last year as well (after the St. Johns game). The point is, he appears to have some intestinal fortitude that is very promising.

As far as speed, don't know who you've been watching. Davis has never shown great speed. He might be a touch quicker than Sanders, but I've been at every game and he certainly isn't "way way faster"! His speed is a much more important issue that Sanders is in that he will have to be able to guard point guards who are potentially much quicker.

We all have our sources as far as second hand info is concerned. Mine is a reliable and objective one who has no reason to build Davis up. It was a comment. I'm glad you're taking it with a grain of salt. That's your perogative. I choose to take this source more seriously than you, and I'll allow myself the benefit of being excited about JDIII's potential for next season.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #16
HarryBosch

HarryBosch is on a distinguished road
A National Championship contending team? When is it coming out of the locker room?
HarryBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #17
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

I like JDIII and agree that he has the nerves to take big shots. Of course SJU won that game in regulation which is obviously why I pointed out that he didn't make any buzzer beaters.

Sanders is the slowest guy on the court regardless of who UC plays. JDIII is pretty quick and he is very fast with the ball in his hands. There is no comparison.

As for sources, I don't really give a damn if your source is Mick himself. You can be excited about his potential all you want. I'm looking forward to seeing him next year too. But I can't remember a time where the player sitting out wasn't the best player on the court. Supposedly Rubles and Sanders never miss in practice. Some believe that.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #18
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBosch View Post
A National Championship contending team? When is it coming out of the locker room?
What?
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #19
L-T
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
I like JDIII and agree that he has the nerves to take big shots. Of course SJU won that game in regulation which is obviously why I pointed out that he didn't make any buzzer beaters.

Sanders is the slowest guy on the court regardless of who UC plays. JDIII is pretty quick and he is very fast with the ball in his hands. There is no comparison.

As for sources, I don't really give a damn if your source is Mick himself. You can be excited about his potential all you want. I'm looking forward to seeing him next year too. But I can't remember a time where the player sitting out wasn't the best player on the court. Supposedly Rubles and Sanders never miss in practice. Some believe that.
The difference is, I've seen JDIII play a lot of basketball, and I like him a lot! Therefore, the comment that he is tearing it up in practice is believable. I've also seen Sanders and Rubles play a lot, so someone saying they never miss is less believable.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #20
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
The difference is, I've seen JDIII play a lot of basketball, and I like him a lot! Therefore, the comment that he is tearing it up in practice is believable. I've also seen Sanders and Rubles play a lot, so someone saying they never miss is less believable.
Maybe it's just the level of competition in practice.