Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-23-2015, 10:49 AM   #1
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
Shaquille Thomas

Although his numbers were basically identical to last year, I noticed some encouraging signs in his game this year.

As the season progressed, it seems like his defensive awareness improved. He is still nowhere near reaching his potential on that side of the ball, but he looked a lot more comfortable this year and, at times, started to show signs of becoming a disruptive off-the-ball defender.

As his awareness improved, so did his rebounding. The last 3 games of the season we finally saw Shaq use his athleticism and length to crash the boards, especially on offense. He grabbed 5, 6, and 7 rebounds his last 3 games and had numerous put-backs late in the season -- several were on key possession late in games.

And as much as we have derided his flat jumper, he really doesn't shoot a bad percentage from mid-range or 3. I thought he looked a little more confident driving to the basket this year and although he was the same old Shaq early, he finally started to get to the rim late in the year.

I really don't know what to expect from Shaq his senior season. I thought he would make a huge leap this year, and he didn't. But at least his progress wasn't completely stagnant. Thoughts, predictions for 2015-16?
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #2
HoosierCat
Elite Member

HoosierCat is on a distinguished road
I'd say more of the same. He's just not consistent enough to make a leap. I hope I'm wrong because I think the talent is there
HoosierCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierCat View Post
I'd say more of the same. He's just not consistent enough to make a leap. I hope I'm wrong because I think the talent is there
I'm just hoping we get the late-season Shaq for all of next season. He is still going to disappear sometimes, but he did average 8.4 ppg the last 8 games and 6 boards his last 3. If we could get 8 points and 5 rebounds out of him, plus a little more consistency and continuous improvement on defense, I think I would be very happy. It's a far cry from the 13-15 points I would have expected for his senior year when he started his career, but it will be adequate.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #4
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
I mean he has about everything you need, outside of the most important one. He cannot handle the ball. His hands let him down time and time again and unfortunately that's not usually a coach-able skill.

For next year he has to get his turnover rate back down. 22 % is way too high for somebody that isn't a primary ball handler (too high for anybody really). It was his worst turnover rate of his career.

Shaq is always somebody that will give hope because of the athleticism he brings to the game, but there's no way of telling what he's going to be next year.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:04 AM   #5
KJ's#1Supporter

KJ's#1Supporter is on a distinguished road
If Shaq is a second tier scorer for us with Cobb and KJ (behind Ellis, Caupain and Clark), I think we can be very happy with him as a senior. We can't get the 0 point games though. He had 5 of those this year.

Edit- I shouldn't count out DeBerry as a scorer...

Last edited by KJ's#1Supporter; 03-23-2015 at 11:06 AM.
KJ's#1Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:12 AM   #6
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Although his numbers were basically identical to last year, I noticed some encouraging signs in his game this year.

As the season progressed, it seems like his defensive awareness improved. He is still nowhere near reaching his potential on that side of the ball, but he looked a lot more comfortable this year and, at times, started to show signs of becoming a disruptive off-the-ball defender.

As his awareness improved, so did his rebounding. The last 3 games of the season we finally saw Shaq use his athleticism and length to crash the boards, especially on offense. He grabbed 5, 6, and 7 rebounds his last 3 games and had numerous put-backs late in the season -- several were on key possession late in games.

And as much as we have derided his flat jumper, he really doesn't shoot a bad percentage from mid-range or 3. I thought he looked a little more confident driving to the basket this year and although he was the same old Shaq early, he finally started to get to the rim late in the year.

I really don't know what to expect from Shaq his senior season. I thought he would make a huge leap this year, and he didn't. But at least his progress wasn't completely stagnant. Thoughts, predictions for 2015-16?
I just think he needs to slow it down a little so he can react to the game. He's got the fastest spin move I have ever seen but it's not necessary to go that fast. Most of his TO's are from going faster than his brain can process. Faster than any brain can process
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #7
HoosierCat
Elite Member

HoosierCat is on a distinguished road
Didn't he go off in the tourny his freshman year and everyone thought, wow! I really really hope he can put it all together for his final year, huge boost. But like was said, he absolutely can't completely disappear in any games
HoosierCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #8
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post

if Mick gives him freedom to play his style of play with mistakes. I see him making all conference next year. He needs average around 11&5 with good defense.
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #9
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
I'd like to see him add at least 10 lbs
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:42 AM   #10
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
I mean he has about everything you need, outside of the most important one. He cannot handle the ball. His hands let him down time and time again and unfortunately that's not usually a coach-able skill.

For next year he has to get his turnover rate back down. 22 % is way too high for somebody that isn't a primary ball handler (too high for anybody really). It was his worst turnover rate of his career.

Shaq is always somebody that will give hope because of the athleticism he brings to the game, but there's no way of telling what he's going to be next year.
Ball handling is one of the most coach able skill there is. He spends just 15min a day working just on ball handling he'll improve. Needs players that will run with him also.
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote