Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-23-2015, 11:45 AM   #11
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ's#1Supporter View Post
If Shaq is a second tier scorer for us with Cobb and KJ (behind Ellis, Caupain and Clark), I think we can be very happy with him as a senior. We can't get the 0 point games though. He had 5 of those this year.

Edit- I shouldn't count out DeBerry as a scorer...
Need Shaq next year to score over Ellis. I want Ellis work exclusively on defense and rebounding. If he watches film of him goaltending and going after every block to learn from mistakes Ellis should win defensive player of year.
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:25 PM   #12
jbreeds1

jbreeds1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog01 View Post
Need Shaq next year to score over Ellis. I want Ellis work exclusively on defense and rebounding. If he watches film of him goaltending and going after every block to learn from mistakes Ellis should win defensive player of year.
I feel like Ellis would've averaged 2 more rebounds a game if he didn't try to block/goal tend every single shot attempt. I'm all for going after blocks, but do it under control. So many times did he leave a wide open space for offensive rebounders to crash because he was out of rebounding position. Can't be mad about effort though. These guys just need to play a little smarter next year.
jbreeds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #13
Bulldog01
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreeds1 View Post
I feel like Ellis would've averaged 2 more rebounds a game if he didn't try to block/goal tend every single shot attempt. I'm all for going after blocks, but do it under control. So many times did he leave a wide open space for offensive rebounders to crash because he was out of rebounding position. Can't be mad about effort though. These guys just need to play a little smarter next year.
That's why some players need more teaching in film room than working with coaches on court. Ellis and Caupain need to watch alot of film this off season.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #14
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ball handling is one of the most coach able skill there is. He spends just 15min a day working just on ball handling he'll improve. Needs players that will run with him also.

Good hands are not a coach-able skill. Shaq has problems with the catch and the dribble. You can work day and night, but if you can't catch, you can't catch. It is the #1 thing holding him back.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:50 PM   #15
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ellis could be a 15 ppg scorer if he learned how to use his feet. He's so much quicker than almost anybody he plays. He also has the 12 foot jump shot.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #16
HoosierCat
Elite Member

HoosierCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ellis must cut down on goaltends and travel calls. Way too many this year. I bet he averaged at least 2 of each per game this year
HoosierCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #17
nkywestside

nkywestside is on a distinguished road
Quote:
if Mick gives him freedom to play his style of play with mistakes. I see him making all conference next year. He needs average around 11&5 with good defense.
That's the problem Bulldog. We run a halfcourt offense and He can't score within the framework of the offense. Other than fastbreak dunks and freelancing with the ball in his hands he can't score. However, I do expect an uptick in his scoring and rebounding. I believe 9 and 6 would be great from him IMO.
nkywestside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:22 PM   #18
Bulldog01
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkywestside View Post
That's the problem Bulldog. We run a halfcourt offense and He can't score within the framework of the offense. Other than fastbreak dunks and freelancing with the ball in his hands he can't score. However, I do expect an uptick in his scoring and rebounding. I believe 9 and 6 would be great from him IMO.
He never should start then and only play in spurts if we only run half court sets.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #19
Bulldog01
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkywestside View Post
he's pretty decent slasher in half court though. I think we get big time wing player that brings out best in Shaq this season anyway
Old 03-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #20
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
I hope Shaq proves me wrong but in 4 yrs his improvement is minimal, I believe the only way for Shaq to improve is to add weight/muscle and get more physical. He shys away from contact on both ends of the court.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote