Shockers by 6+ ponts 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2019, 12:27 PM   #91
MylesFoxMorrisey

MylesFoxMorrisey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Just from what I’ve seen, not data so might be wrong,
It feels like the offense is not better by scheme. Just we are hitting 3’s (well Cumberland and Jenifer), Cumberland is able to get shots and points 1:1 better than clark, Evans...and Washington. And we have another player that will take the ball to the basket in Williams.

It seems individual 1:1 wins have lead to a better offense. Maybe not but it’s what I see.
I could definitely agree with this. Jarron is such a great creator and overall offensive player that the mere fact of him having the ball in his hands more has led to better rating.
MylesFoxMorrisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:19 PM   #92
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
i think cumberland is definitely better suited to run our iso offense over evans. better scorer, better driver, better passer, draws more fouls.
He definitely is. Evans couldnt dribble through traffic. He had to stop and try to get you to bite on a crossover. He wasnt as strong, nor as willing to force offense. What we are missing with Evans is his defense.

EDIT: I probably didnt word that the best, by dribble through traffic, I mean he didn't just put his head down and drive like you pretty much have to. He would stop and try to dribble around you and that usually isnt successful and lets the defense adjust to you.

Last edited by david aka the TYZ; 01-20-2019 at 02:24 PM.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:36 AM   #93
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
i think cumberland is definitely better suited to run our iso offense over evans. better scorer, better driver, better passer, draws more fouls.
I think he's better at several things than Evans was...especially ISO. Cumberland is sitting at 30% usage. That is the highest in the Cronin era for any major contributor. Sk was at 28.8% his Sr year and he was awesome in that capacity as well as an All American. Vaughn was next at 27% and then Lance at 26%.

He is being asked to do more than any other player under Cronin. I think the supporting cast of SK his SR year was pretty bad on offense and I am sure Vaughn didn't have a lot of help either. I think Cumberland has a few guys who can help him so maybe we should back down the usage just a tad bit. Not much but a little.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #94
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I think he's better at several things than Evans was...especially ISO. Cumberland is sitting at 30% usage. That is the highest in the Cronin era for any major contributor. Sk was at 28.8% his Sr year and he was awesome in that capacity as well as an All American. Vaughn was next at 27% and then Lance at 26%.

He is being asked to do more than any other player under Cronin. I think the supporting cast of SK his SR year was pretty bad on offense and I am sure Vaughn didn't have a lot of help either. I think Cumberland has a few guys who can help him so maybe we should back down the usage just a tad bit. Not much but a little.
I agree, this team is abandoning running offense and just letting Cumberland carry them. It doesnt help that the defense has been giving up so many points that we have been playing from behind or even with teams lately. That and teams are being physical against us and Cumberland is the only one not soft outside of maybe jenifer but hes too small to play bully ball. If our defense can get right it will put less pressure on Cumberland to carry the load imo.

I'm worried about Cumberland wearing down. He was dragging against UConn by the end. He is being held, pushed, shoved and taking a pounding when trying to score. We need to be able to get him some breaks and to not have to take a pounding just to score.

Last edited by david aka the TYZ; 01-21-2019 at 11:47 AM.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #95
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
I agree, this team is abandoning running offense and just letting Cumberland carry them. It doesnt help that the defense has been giving up so many points that we have been playing from behind or even with teams lately. That and teams are being physical against us and Cumberland is the only one not soft outside of maybe jenifer but hes too small to play bully ball. If our defense can get right it will put less pressure on Cumberland to carry the load imo.

I'm worried about Cumberland wearing down. He was dragging against UConn by the end. He is being held, pushed, shoved and taking a pounding when trying to score. We need to be able to get him some breaks and to not have to take a pounding just to score.
Agreed. If ISO is our offense then more should be run for Williams and give Cumberland a break at times.
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #96
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
Agreed. If ISO is our offense then more should be run for Williams and give Cumberland a break at times.
ISO has always been our offense. Even the last couple years, it was just in the post. Jarron is the best ISO/pick and roll guy we have had since sk. I do think Keith could be used a little more
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:11 PM   #97
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=cincyguy13;194690]ISO has always been our offense. Even the last couple years, it was just in the post. Jarron is the best ISO/pick and roll guy we have had since sk. I do think Keith could be used a little more[/Q

Seems to be all offense these days in CBB.
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:07 AM   #98
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I agree on Williams. I wish he would assist more but he has the ability to get a decent shot off almost any time he wants to. He may not be as efficient but he can get to the rack, make a step back J, and is now making 3's with more confidence. We can't rely on him at the usage rate Cumberland gets but we need Cumberland to take some breaks. The current way we get him breaks seems to be to just let the shot clock wind down to 10 and then let him make a play. That is certainly one way to do it but we are forgoing the chance to get an easy look for someone else early in the clock to use that strategy.

I would like to run something in the early clock and maybe let Cumberland stand around while defenders gravitate towards him and let Williams, Broome, or Jenifer see if they can get in the lane. Every time we wait until 10 seconds we are also giving the defense a rest.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:50 AM   #99
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Keith is the secondary ISO option.

They literally run the same Elbow plays for Keith that that they do for Jarron. The difference is the way they utilize them.

Cumberland is better when he is working around screens, and then either scoring or playmaking, whereas a lot of Keith's work also starts at the elbow. he just prefers the step back mid range shot (which he is getting pretty good at lately) and doesn't have to use a screen to get around his guy.

Keith is getting plenty of run as a Soph. Jarron is taking 31% of the shots, Keith is taking 25% of the shots. Its just jarron is on the floor more than keith. But when Keith is out there, he's being featured more than evans was as a JR, Jarron as a Soph and so on. He's getting a lot of run and making the most of it.

Keith is now shooting 35% from 3 on the season. He's 38% in conference play.

He and jarron are the 2 dudes who generally play the same on the road and at home.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #100
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Keith is the secondary ISO option.

They literally run the same Elbow plays for Keith that that they do for Jarron. The difference is the way they utilize them.

Cumberland is better when he is working around screens, and then either scoring or playmaking, whereas a lot of Keith's work also starts at the elbow. he just prefers the step back mid range shot (which he is getting pretty good at lately) and doesn't have to use a screen to get around his guy.

Keith is getting plenty of run as a Soph. Jarron is taking 31% of the shots, Keith is taking 25% of the shots. Its just jarron is on the floor more than keith. But when Keith is out there, he's being featured more than evans was as a JR, Jarron as a Soph and so on. He's getting a lot of run and making the most of it.

Keith is now shooting 35% from 3 on the season. He's 38% in conference play.

He and jarron are the 2 dudes who generally play the same on the road and at home.
That is the part I like the most. Keith is a gamer and doesn't shrink in the moment. That deep 3 he hit with the shot clock running out was huge! With how close our games have been every nice play or shot that gets made gets magnified as a big play. It could be a block, a three, a FT, a steal...doesn't matter. Any play can change the momentum of a close game.

I just wish we didn't have to sweat them all out. My heart is getting a workout lately...LOL!