Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-01-2019, 04:19 PM   #211
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
The comment you made was players don't care about making the tournament if they get bounced the first weekend. You don't think it means anything to them to watch selection Sunday and be in the tournament? If that's how you think I don't know what else to say.
I said I don’t think there is much difference. Never said players. Of course players want to play. As a fan there is virtually no difference

Last edited by cincyguy13; 04-01-2019 at 04:25 PM.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:23 PM   #212
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
I agree it doesn't hurt our recruiting to make it each year. That said, I bet if you asked Troy, Evans, Clark, Jennifer, or anyone would they rather have had a final 4 run in one of their years and not made it the others they would all take that over not making it past the 1st weekend 4 years in a row.
How wouldn’t it hurt recruiting? If we are recruiting against a team that has more tourney success, you don’t think that is brought up? You don’t think Houston increased their profile by playing in the sweet 16 this year?
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:29 PM   #213
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
I agree it doesn't hurt our recruiting to make it each year. That said, I bet if you asked Troy, Evans, Clark, Jennifer, or anyone would they rather have had a final 4 run in one of their years and not made it the others they would all take that over not making it past the 1st weekend 4 years in a row.
I disagree that this would be the case, only because if they don't make the tournament those other years it means they were a team really struggling to beat their schedule. Who would look forward to that?

Consistency of winning is really hard to maintain, given all the competition at every turn. I bet players are happy that they've consistently found a way to win enough games to get to the tournament. Of course, everyone wants a final four, but a full season of winning is something really satisfying and achievable in the right program.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:15 PM   #214
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealUC View Post
You think having 2 NCAA tournament births in 2 decades, with one of those being a final 4 is a better recruiting pitch than going every year? That sure is an interesting take, but to each their own.
But it’s vtech. He would be out of there in 5 years or less. Good luck
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:20 PM   #215
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I said I don’t think there is much difference. Never said players. Of course players want to play. As a fan there is virtually no difference
I'll disagree. I love knowing that it's just a matter of when and where on selection Sunday, not if. Love becoming "sick" the day Cincy plays and calling out of work. And yes I love the sorrow drowning booze fest that typically follows the game. As a fan, that is still enjoyable to me and something many programs would kill for.
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #216
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I disagree on a fan base too. Start a poll would love to see these results. You sound confident too so I’d be down to wager
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:46 PM   #217
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealUC View Post
I'll disagree. I love knowing that it's just a matter of when and where on selection Sunday, not if. Love becoming "sick" the day Cincy plays and calling out of work. And yes I love the sorrow drowning booze fest that typically follows the game. As a fan, that is still enjoyable to me and something many programs would kill for.
Exactly and if we aren’t making the tournament that would correlate with a shitty regular season and that would absolutely suck too. This dude is talking reckless. Again, I want to advance, but to picture not in the tournament is sickening
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:57 PM   #218
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

the_one_32 will become famous soon enoughthe_one_32 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
Exactly and if we aren’t making the tournament that would correlate with a shitty regular season and that would absolutely suck too. This dude is talking reckless. Again, I want to advance, but to picture not in the tournament is sickening
UCLA favors two candidates to fill their head coaching position: TCU's Jamie Dixon and Cincinnati's Mick Cronin.

Have to think if he gets offered the UCLA job, he is gone.
the_one_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:58 PM   #219
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
As a fan I wouldn’t trade what we have for S16s but I would be willing to give up 2-3 years of making the dance for a final 4 and I would give double that for a NC.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:00 PM   #220
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

the_one_32 will become famous soon enoughthe_one_32 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_one_32 View Post
UCLA favors two candidates to fill their head coaching position: TCU's Jamie Dixon and Cincinnati's Mick Cronin.

Have to think if he gets offered the UCLA job, he is gone.
To piggyback on that, other more high profile coaches turned UCLA away so has to be mutual interest at this point.
the_one_32 is offline   Reply With Quote