Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #321
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Why is everyone acting like losing by 7 is the worst thing in the world when playing at Xavier? We get shit on by them almost every time we play at Xavier.

We lost by 13, 10, 17, and 23 the last 4 times we lost at their place or neutral floor. There has only been one time in the last 10 years we didn't lose by less than 10 points.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #322
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
Why is everyone acting like losing by 7 is the worst thing in the world when playing at Xavier? We get shit on by them almost every time we play at Xavier.

We lost by 13, 10, 17, and 23 the last 4 times we lost at their place or neutral floor. There has only been one time in the last 10 years we didn't lose by less than 10 points.

To me, it felt bigger than a 7 point loss.

I didn't expect to beat Xavier. So it didn't bum me out nearly as much. I never expect to win in cintas. But i did hold out hope that Brannen would break the curse.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #323
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
I have to admit we hit our open shots in 1st we win by 20. Still need shooters.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #324
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
You’re missing my entire point.

We know two things: our guards can’t guard

And our big is only good at guarding around the rim.

So why we we letting a non shooting threat like tyrique jones bring our 7 footer out to where he is least affecting especially when we already know his defiencies on defense.

I just want to be clear of what your trying to say... you’re saying Chris Vogt is a great defender ? And that we utilized him perfectly ?
You have missed more points than anyone I can recall in the recent past. You either get so worked up about your own arguments or you miss the point being made by someone else or you are just being intentionally disingenuous.

So I want to be clear which you are trying to do? It seems like in about every other response of yours there is a straw man argument waiting. If you want a better understanding of what argument others are making...go back and re-read their posts (but meditate for an hour first or take a Xanax) and then try to do a better job of making an accurate assessment of other's opinions rather than blatantly exaggerating them or completely whiffing on the points being made
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #325
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
You have missed more points than anyone I can recall in the recent past. You either get so worked up about your own arguments or you miss the point being made by someone else or you are just being intentionally disingenuous.

So I want to be clear which you are trying to do? It seems like in about every other response of yours there is a straw man argument waiting. If you want a better understanding of what argument others are making...go back and re-read their posts (but meditate for an hour first or take a Xanax) and then try to do a better job of making an accurate assessment of other's opinions rather than blatantly exaggerating them or completely whiffing on the points being made

We are talking about Chris Vogt’s strengths and weaknesses defensively.

I’m not anti Vogt.

I’m just saying his defense is only good around the rim. He should never leave the paint, especially in a league where there isn’t a defensive 3 seconds.

People absolutely agree that this is the case, but they’d rather argue with me about it.

I don’t care.

I can say this. We’ve played 4 teams that are ranked 105 and higher and in those 4 games, in the 2nd half the Brannen lead Bearcats defense has allowed 45, 43, 46 & 41

We are 1-3 in those games. And 3 out of 4 of those games we were actually leading at half and the one where we weren’t we were only down 3

The defense sucks. Especially in the 2nd half against good teams, it sucks for a multitude of reasons. One being we can’t guard one on one and two our big man isn’t staying in the paint to at least have our guards funnel their man into.

Literally nothing I’ve said I’ve not backed up with some kind of stat.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #326
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
To me, it felt bigger than a 7 point loss.

I didn't expect to beat Xavier. So it didn't bum me out nearly as much. I never expect to win in cintas. But i did hold out hope that Brannen would break the curse.
I mean if the Cumberlands didn't both shit down their legs the whole game we probably blow them out.

I feel like some people would have felt better if it was just a typical X beatdown from start to finish rather than looking good, keeping it close, having a chance, and then not closing it out.

Before the game people were hoping it wasn't a blowout by halftime like it has been more times than not lately.

Last edited by Alum2013; 12-12-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #327
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We are talking about Chris Vogt’s strengths and weaknesses defensively.

I’m not anti Vogt.

I’m just saying his defense is only good around the rim. He should never leave the paint, especially in a league where there isn’t a defensive 3 seconds.

People absolutely agree that this is the case, but they’d rather argue with me about it.

I don’t care.

I can say this. We’ve played 4 teams that are ranked 105 and higher and in those 4 games, in the 2nd half the Brannen lead Bearcats defense has allowed 45, 43, 46 & 41

We are 1-3 in those games. And 3 out of 4 of those games we were actually leading at half and the one where we weren’t we were only down 3

The defense sucks. Especially in the 2nd half against good teams, it sucks for a multitude of reasons. One being we can’t guard one on one and two our big man isn’t staying in the paint to at least have our guards funnel their man into.

Literally nothing I’ve said I’ve not backed up with some kind of stat.
What I have heard is that most people agree that he is a pretty good paint defender and nobody is suggesting he will be very effective on/towards the perimeter. I have heard opinions that he perhaps has not been abused as badly as some others have insinuated but that's about as far as it's gone. I think Cincrulz11 was making a point that a lot of that "abuse" falls on the guards getting beat. Or that we aren't playing the PnR right or the screens and that not ALL of that should fall on Vogt.

I think most everyone agrees but semantics like "abused" and "awful defender" or "great defender" or "using him perfectly" are all words that get in the way of everyone agreeing on the same thing. Also, saying Vogt is better for the team than Diara overall is not a statement about his defense or offense or Diara's.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:34 PM   #328
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
What I have heard is that most people agree that he is a pretty good paint defender and nobody is suggesting he will be very effective on/towards the perimeter. I have heard opinions that he perhaps has not been abused as badly as some others have insinuated but that's about as far as it's gone. I think Cincrulz11 was making a point that a lot of that "abuse" falls on the guards getting beat. Or that we aren't playing the PnR right or the screens and that not ALL of that should fall on Vogt.

I think most everyone agrees but semantics like "abused" and "awful defender" or "great defender" or "using him perfectly" are all words that get in the way of everyone agreeing on the same thing. Also, saying Vogt is better for the team than Diara overall is not a statement about his defense or offense or Diara's.

People are missing that I feel it’s coaching that Is failing Vogt. When I say Vogt is being abused, it doesn’t mean he didn’t do his job. It means the coaching staff didn’t put him in a position where he can be successful.

Chris Vogt can’t help that the defense he has been taught teaches him to follow a non shooting big like tyrique to the perimeter.

Xavier in general can’t shoot. But they have 4 guys who can get to the rim and he we are letting Xavier’s plays pull our big out of the most effective area.

Travis Steele out coached us.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #329
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
maybe you should tweet at brannen to resign again.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:20 PM   #330
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
maybe you should tweet at brannen to resign again.
Stalker