Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
UC Hoops 2010/2011 (Early Look)

With Stephenson opting for the pro ranks this class all of a sudden has a lot more pressure on it. While keeping in mind they are freshman I do have high hopes that at least a couple of them will have important roles on this team by seasons end. I’m also hoping that the Scholly freed up by “Thinks He’s Ready” will go to a top recruit who reopened his recruitment because of all the coaching changes. I’d rather Mick waited a year to use it than use it on someone who all of a sudden looks good because the top players are already committed. If he was a low D1 player a few months ago chances are he still is. On to the guys we have.

Freshman

Sean Kilpatrick: Reports are that he’s been very good in practice during his redshirt year. All the people I’ve talked to have VERY high expectations for this kid and some even expect him to be the leading scorer right out of the gate. I personally am taking a wait and see attitude. I hope he’s as good as we all want him to be but good in practice and good in the Big East are on opposite ends of the universe in my opinion.

Justin Jackson: Jackson a 6′8 Forward has been rising up the ranks on all the major recruiting sites. His performances this year in tourney’s and in the postseason have him all the way up into the 80’s in the ESPNU top 100. His hustle is off the charts for a high school player. Most reports on him say the same things. He uses his length to jump passing lanes and his scoring ability is great in the paint. He is limited handling the ball and he can’t shoot from outside. That’s ok though because he seems to recognize that and stays within his limits. I’m getting more and more excited about this kid.

Kelvin Gaines: The 6′10 Center should help right away on defense but we’ve heard that before. He will be a project on offense but his stock has been rising as well. My take is that you can never have to many big fellas. If he works hard and turns into a solid player that’s great. If you’re going to take a chance on a kid based on potential a player his size is the way to go.

Anthony McBride: A little Nepotizz going on for Yancy’s brother? A 6′2 Guard, he had plenty of D1 offers so he has some skill. Of course all the other schools were mid-major at best. On the bright side Deonta Vaughn had mostly mid-major schools interested in him and he turned out pretty good. Yes that’s a stretch.

Overall not a bad class. If Kilpatrick and Jackson are as good as advertised it could be great. We’ll see.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/shoutout...-the-freshman/
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
teaguecometouc11

teaguecometouc11 is on a distinguished road
anybody have any idea who the top recruit that decommited because of the coaching changes is?
teaguecometouc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
anbuc88
Elite Member

anbuc88 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaguecometouc11 View Post
anybody have any idea who the top recruit that decommited because of the coaching changes is?
I think the author meant this generically. Last year there was a great deal of moving around once Calapari moved from Memphis to UK. That is how we eventually ended up with Lance, as Xavier Henry left Memphis and committed to KU. This year there has not been as much turmoil and I don't know of one highly rated recruit looking to decommit due to a coaching change. If there is one, maybe another poster can let us know. Regardlesss, I don't think Mick is in on any uncommitted top recruit for 2010.

Last edited by anbuc88; 04-18-2010 at 08:41 PM.
anbuc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
Quote:
Originally Posted by anbuc88 View Post
I think the author meant this generically. Last year there was a great deal of moving around once Calapari moved from Memphis to UK. That is how we eventually ended up with Lance, as Xavier Henry left Memphis and committed to KU. This year there has not been as much turmoil and I don't know of one highly rated recruit looking to decommit due to a coaching change. If there is one, maybe another poster can let us know. Regardlesss, I don't think Mick is in on any uncommitted top recruit for 2010.
I'm not stating that I think he is, or that anything will happen... but I think it's at least a little foolish to say that... how many people thought UC was legitimately recruiting Lance before he visited?... give credit to the staff, they fight to the bitter end and it ended up helping them land Lance... and with the tight lipped nature Mick has in regards to recruiting, they could have been talking to multiple blue chippers and we may never know for sure...
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:06 AM   #5
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
There are always things going on beneath the surface, as well as rumors that have no basis in fact. One thing is certain, Mick Cronin is always recruiting new talent.

I like the incoming class. I second the statement that Sean Kilpatrick could be the leading scorer. He has savvy and knows how to play the game. I also LOVE Justin Jackson. When a guy plays as hard as he does you are going to contribute in some way every single game. He also knows what he is. He is a low post guy that doesn't want to be a sg or sf. he just needs to learn to not get in foul trouble at the D1 level due to being overly aggressive. I think Gaines will be real good in time. If we can add some wing scoring I think this team is going to be a pretty good team that plays hard and together. Let's also not forget that Cash, Parker and Thomas will all have a season under their belts. All are dedicated and hard workers. Still would like to sign a big, but not just for the sake of signing one. There just aren't many, if any, good ones out there at this point.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #6
anbuc88
Elite Member

anbuc88 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by psax889906 View Post
I'm not stating that I think he is, or that anything will happen... but I think it's at least a little foolish to say that... how many people thought UC was legitimately recruiting Lance before he visited?... give credit to the staff, they fight to the bitter end and it ended up helping them land Lance... and with the tight lipped nature Mick has in regards to recruiting, they could have been talking to multiple blue chippers and we may never know for sure...
You are correct. The staff keeps things close to the vest so they may be on some highly rated 2010 prospects. It would be something if they could pull anoter rabbit out of the hat. 2 years ago it was Reik, last year Lance, this year ???. This year I would just settle for Teague and skip the surprise 2010 recruit.
anbuc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
Agreed. I will take Burton and Teague this week please.
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegreatone View Post
Agreed. I will take Burton and Teague this week please.
I think I'd take Burton and Teague EVERY week!
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote