Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-14-2021, 12:12 PM   #61
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Getting paid $1mil plus year isn’t easy either. I bet I could find 6-7 players fit that system before I find $1mil dollar gig
Hahahaha! 10 points on that!!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:18 PM   #62
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I think positionless BB is the overall point here. And our last HC was all about that. And I also agree it's where I want the program to go.

But we have to be reasonable and get the guards who can play PG at times and maybe up to the 3-4 position. That is perfectly fine. Our bigs we would like to be able to play the 5 down to 3-4 in a perfect scenario.

1-5 is not happening ever for a 13 man rotation at UC or probably anywhere for that matter. And even if we get a few who can man several positions...we will need the role players who cannot.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:22 AM   #63
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Attached are Evan Miya's ratings for last year's team. MAW and Mason are rated higher than Davenport because of JD's poor defense. Mikey gets an especially bad defensive rating. John Newman will instantly become our best player according to this metric. Last year he had a 34.1 overall BPR (-8.6 offense, 42.7 defense). The previous year he was 37.9 overall (1.5 offense, 36.3 defense).

I think BPR weighs team performance a little too heavily, but this could be a good tool for evaluating defense instead of relying on proxy stats like steal + block and foul rates. It incorporates individual stats, plus/minus, team efficiency, and leverage (stats when the game is a blowout don't count as much).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EvanMiya 2021.JPG (27.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by sedziobs; 04-21-2021 at 11:44 AM.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:27 AM   #64
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Here is the full roster including players with too small a sample of minutes. Harvey's defense gets a terrible rating, which is probably why he didn't play as much as it seemed like he should have. Rap surprisingly had a positive defensive rating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EvanMiya 2021 full.JPG (37.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-21-2021, 11:33 AM   #65
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Harvey's numbers really surprised me on defense.

The big thing with these numbers here are why I don't think Davenport can be a 4. He simply cannot defend that position. He was our best offensive player, but overall 5th best because of his defense?

Also I don't know what I think about Saunder's defensive rating either.

Diarra and Rob Banks the only ones negative on offense and defense.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:22 PM   #66
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Davenport absolutely can’t play 4, Tari barely could. It’s no surprise Newman would be our highest rated player by this metric. He’s our highest rated recruit by far
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:04 PM   #67
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

I don't think Davenport can really guard the 3 either because he isn't very quick. He's best suited as a hybrid 3/4 that we can play to matchups. We can hide him against average stretch 4s or wings who aren't slashers.

The nice thing is JD, Saunders, and Mason are all young and should be able to improve their defense under Wes.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:55 PM   #68
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Attached are Evan Miya's ratings for last year's team. MAW and Mason are rated higher than Davenport because of JD's poor defense. Mikey gets an especially bad defensive rating. John Newman will instantly become our best player according to this metric. Last year he had a 34.1 overall BPR (-8.6 offense, 42.7 defense). The previous year he was 37.9 overall (1.5 offense, 36.3 defense).

I think BPR weighs team performance a little too heavily, but this could be a good tool for evaluating defense instead of relying on proxy stats like steal + block and foul rates. It incorporates individual stats, plus/minus, team efficiency, and leverage (stats when the game is a blowout don't count as much).
Interesting stuff...thanks for sharing!
Old 04-21-2021, 03:32 PM   #69
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I’ll post Synergy numbers later to compare and see how much they differ
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:27 PM   #70
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

A comparison between (Synergy) defensive grades posted by Justin and Evan Miya's [BPR] defensive ratings:

MAW: (82% Very Good) [17.7 Good]
JD: (68% Very Good) [-4.7 Average]
DDJ: (80% Very Good) [5.6 Above Average]
Madsen: (34% Average) [6.6 Above Average]
Mikey: (29% Below Average) [-14.6 Below Average]
Hensley: (34% Average) [6.3 Above Average]
Koval: (64% Good) [16.0 Good]
Newman soph: (84% Excellent) [36.3 Excellent]

I made up my own categories for BPR with -5 to 5 being average, 5-15 above average, 15-25 good, 25-35 very good, and 35+ excellent. I might even add an elite category for the 18 players across the country who had a rating of 45+ (Gary Clark achieved it in his junior and senior seasons, as did Caupain, Evans, and Brooks in their final seasons as Bearcats). There were 5 players worse than -45. I'll take suggestions on what to call that category.

There is agreement on most players. The only two players with more than one category of separation are DeJulius and Davenport, with a three category difference for Davenport. Synergy is higher than BPR on both of them.

Last edited by sedziobs; 04-23-2021 at 10:16 PM.