Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-14-2021, 11:04 AM   #21
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Analytics is what gave the splash brothers freedom to let it fly so often. Coaches wouldn't have allowed that 15 years ago. Jordan, McGrady, and Dirk would be shooting a lot less from the midrange if they were playing today.

Making layups and getting stops is part of analytics.
Analytics or best shooting tandem in NBa history? Analytics available why isn’t no other players coming close to curry?
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:06 AM   #22
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
The new wave in college(I’ve been screaming it for yrs) is getting starting 5 6’5-6’10 that all can play 1-5. Analytics I will agree is much more important in player development than it is in team game planning.
Yeah, it's even been a trend in the pros too. Some teams will have a short PG or a big center who is skilled. But for the most part it's 5 guys who can play all 5 positions. For soccer fans, Dutch total football has made its way to basketball.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:09 AM   #23
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The new wave in college(I’ve been screaming it for yrs) is getting starting 5 6’5-6’10 that all can play 1-5. Analytics I will agree is much more important in player development than it is in team game planning.
Oh come on. If we can get 2 players that can play 1-5 I would be ecstatic. Be realistic. Anyone can say we need all players that can play 1-5. Why don't we all just win the lottery too? It would make everyone's life easier.

How about having a conversation about real possibilities
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:11 AM   #24
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Analytics or best shooting tandem in NBa history? Analytics available why isn’t no other players coming close to curry?
Clearly Curry is talented. I don't think he shoots nearly as much or as far from the basket if he played 20 years ago though. And who knows how good some of shooters from past eras would be if they were given that kind of freedom and worked on it in practice. Curry, Harden, Dame, and Doncic practice extremely difficult deep shots off the dribble that no player would even think about just 10 years ago. And it's because defenses have taken away easy threes and those shots are more efficient than an open midrange jumper. Coaches tailor their offenses to it.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:17 AM   #25
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Oh come on. If we can get 2 players that can play 1-5 I would be ecstatic. Be realistic. Anyone can say we need all players that can play 1-5. Why don't we all just win the lottery too? It would make everyone's life easier.

It's not that crazy, you just have to stick to a system and maybe deal with a few down years to transistion to it. Oregon has been doing it for a while. SMU did it when they were good. It's something we could do if we wanted.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #26
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It's not that crazy, you just have to stick to a system and maybe deal with a few down years to transistion to it. Oregon has been doing it for a while. SMU did it when they were good. It's something we could do if we wanted.
Some of these guys can play 2-4 but not a lot can play 1-5. Let's be real
Old 04-14-2021, 11:23 AM   #27
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

How hard is it? Five guys that can grab defensive rebounds and lead break? Not all have be top 100. Get best group of players that fit system and go from there. Having team basically empty would be my dream as coach and icing on cake is transfer portal has more players than ever.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:25 AM   #28
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
Clearly Curry is talented. I don't think he shoots nearly as much or as far from the basket if he played 20 years ago though. And who knows how good some of shooters from past eras would be if they were given that kind of freedom and worked on it in practice. Curry, Harden, Dame, and Doncic practice extremely difficult deep shots off the dribble that no player would even think about just 10 years ago. And it's because defenses have taken away easy threes and those shots are more efficient than an open midrange jumper. Coaches tailor their offenses to it.
Bro I played almost 25yrs ago. Coaches use have struggles making bigs that went 1/20 from deep stop practicing 3’s. It’s always been dunks or 3’s guys wanting to do. Nobody but Kobe learned or followed Jordan fadeaway, every player tried his dunks
Old 04-14-2021, 11:28 AM   #29
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
exactly, stick to whatever system your looking run. Not saying don’t adjust what you do but never adjust what type player you recruit
Old 04-14-2021, 11:29 AM   #30
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
How hard is it? Five guys that can grab defensive rebounds and lead break? Not all have be top 100. Get best group of players that fit system and go from there. Having team basically empty would be my dream as coach and icing on cake is transfer portal has more players than ever.
That is not all that is required to play 1-5. Grabbing rebounds and starting the break. That only happens on about 25% of possessions. The rest of the time you have to run a real offense. And if I have 13 guys 6'5 to 6'10 who can all play point to post...I am winning a NC every year.