Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #1
LeftyRose

LeftyRose is on a distinguished road
Mick v. LD, Adjusting for Experience

Some of the criticisms of LD, degrading his coaching style in comparison to Cronin, bothered me. My hunch was that when you adjust for level of experience, this year's performance would grade similarly to earlier teams in Cronin's tenure.

I think the data proves this hypothesis is correct.

To get a rough calculation, I looked at the top-ten contributors for past teams (minutes played) and assigned a numerical value, determined by the number of years in D1 experience. For example, a freshman would score a "1," a sophmore a "2," etc. JUCOs would score a "1" in their Junior year.

As a result, a higher score means more experience. Again, it's a rough measure. Here are the results:

2007-08, Score=16, Record=13-19, No Tournament
2008-09, Score=19, Record=18-14, No Tournament
2009-10, Score=20, Record=19-16, No Tournament
2010-11, Score=26, Record=26-9, Round of 32
2011-12, Score=22, Record=26-11, Sweet Sixteen
2012-13, Score=23, Record=22-12, Round of 64
2013-14, Score=23, Record=27-7, Round of 64
2014-15, Score=18, Record=17-8

As you can see, this team scores the lowest in D1 experience since the team back in 2007-08. Teams in 2008-09 and 2009-10 scored higher in experience and finished with lower winning percentages and no NCAA tournament bids. Arguably, Mick was working with more talent during those years (Gates, Cash, Lance, etc.)

The point is you shouldn't compare LD's performance this year to Cronin's performance the past four years, because those teams were a lot more D1-experienced. You can argue that LD is performing better than Mick did in 2008-09 and 2009-10, when Mick was working with teams that scored higher in experience and perhaps talent.
LeftyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:05 AM   #2
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
My gripes have much more to do with in-game decision making. And that has nothing to do with team experience. That is a very interesting list you've put together though. I can't believe the 09-10 team lost 16 times.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #3
ucswais

ucswais is on a distinguished road
Interesting data. I admit I'm less than impressed so far, but you make some good points here about the youth on this team. Also, our SOS has turned out a lot better than I expected for various reasons which should be a factor in what W-L we're demanding of LD.
ucswais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #4
HoosierCat
Elite Member

HoosierCat is on a distinguished road
I agree, it's his in game coaching and sub packaging that is my concern. He lets other teams go on runs without adjusting or stopping the bleeding. The substitutions in the ECU game was mind boggling
HoosierCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

I keep going back to the Houston game when I think about LD. It has nothing to do with him in that game, but the guy on the other sideline. Kelvin Sampson called 3 timeouts in about the first 5 minutes. He didn't care about the timeouts. It had to do with him immediately not liking what he was seeing. And I think he would've called all 5 if his guys didn't get the point. And Houston came back and got in the game and was beating us in our gym at halftime. Now obviously we won the game bc Houston is terrible this year. But I wish LD would take a page from that book. We went down 15-5 @Temple and then went down by double digits 3 other times in the first half. LD did not use a single timeout until he burned the "use it or lose it" right at the end. So we went down 11 at the half...Good thing we still had 4 timeouts left! But too bad the game was already over bc we aren't built for 11 point road comebacks. There are 8 media timeouts in college ball and each team has 5 timeouts. What the hell are you saving them all for? Isn't being down 15-5 to start the game a good time to give your guys a chance to regroup? You gotta make the kids feel like you're fighting for them. And in college that means pulling the team back to their corner when they are getting pummeled. That's the kind of stuff that makes me think that he is in way over his head.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #6
HoosierCat
Elite Member

HoosierCat is on a distinguished road
Every game I have to remind myself that this team is playing without the guidance of its head coach. But Larry has been a head coach before and I can't believe that we see these things and he doesn't. He says he does and is learning, but sometimes I wonder. I truly think this team has at least 3 less losses if Mick was coaching. But, it is what it is and these kids need to get out of the funk and they need to do it tonight!
HoosierCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:18 AM   #7
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Another thing that bothers me is what he said in his comments to the media yesterday...something along the lines of "I don't need anyone trying to be a hero and going for 30". I get the gist of what he is saying bc he was saying he needs soldiers...but c'mon man. A guy scoring 30 is the FIRST example you use for something we don't need? Can you imagine Huggins telling Logan that? Or Mick telling SK that? That is the best inadvertant explanation I've heard as to why Cobb was pulled against ECU. He was trying to be a hero! Again, I get what he's saying...but God forbid a guy for us gets hot and carries the scoring load...especially in a rivalry game. I can't stand it. This is the only program in the world where going off on the offensive end is frowned upon. Let the kids play the game! I can live with Cobb or Caupain being a "hero" much more than I can live with putting a lid on these guys and making them feel like they don't have the freedom to find their game.

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 02-18-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:23 AM   #8
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I keep going back to the Houston game when I think about LD. It has nothing to do with him in that game, but the guy on the other sideline. Kelvin Sampson called 3 timeouts in about the first 5 minutes. He didn't care about the timeouts. It had to do with him immediately not liking what he was seeing. And I think he would've called all 5 if his guys didn't get the point. And Houston came back and got in the game and was beating us in our gym at halftime. Now obviously we won the game bc Houston is terrible this year. But I wish LD would take a page from that book. We went down 15-5 @Temple and then went down by double digits 3 other times in the first half. LD did not use a single timeout until he burned the "use it or lose it" right at the end. So we went down 11 at the half...Good thing we still had 4 timeouts left! But too bad the game was already over bc we aren't built for 11 point road comebacks. There are 8 media timeouts in college ball and each team has 5 timeouts. What the hell are you saving them all for? Isn't being down 15-5 to start the game a good time to give your guys a chance to regroup? You gotta make the kids feel like you're fighting for them. And in college that means pulling the team back to their corner when they are getting pummeled. That's the kind of stuff that makes me think that he is in way over his head.
I noticed the timeouts by Sampson as well. I think part of his strategy of calling the first timeout of each half is that the first timeout is always a full timeout, no 30 second, due to TV.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #9
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I can't believe the 09-10 team lost 16 times.
It lost 14 times in the regular season and 11 of them were in conference.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #10
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Another thing that bothers me is what he said in his comments to the media yesterday...something along the lines of "I don't need anyone trying to be a hero and going for 30". I get the gist of what he is saying bc he was saying he needs soldiers...but c'mon man. A guy scoring 30 is the FIRST example you use for something we don't need? Can you imagine Huggins telling Logan that? Or Mick telling SK that? That is the best inadvertant explanation I've heard as to why Cobb was pulled against ECU. He was trying to be a hero! Again, I get what he's saying...but God forbid a guy for us gets hot and carries the scoring load...especially in a rivalry game. I can't stand it. This is the only program in the world where going off on the offensive end is frowned upon. Let the kids play the game! I can live with Cobb or Caupain being a "hero" much more than I can live with putting a lid on these guys and making them feel like they don't have the freedom to find their game.
Xavier's tough to defend. They've got a lot of scorers, a lot of shooters. They're probably the highest scoring team we've played since NC State, other than SMU. That being said, I think they have more firepower than SMU ... We're not going to be able to win if we don't score. It's going to be tough to defend them, because we're not going to completely shut them out."

looks like Mick and LD have different views on scoring.
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote