Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-07-2019, 05:51 PM   #711
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by z_bearcat View Post
I think this is the point that the AD and Administration saw not changing with Cronin as UC's head coach. The 2017-18 team was probably top two under Cronin, maybe the best under Cronin. And they still could not advance past the first weekend. I get that there are many Cronin lovers and haters among the posters on this board. But, IMO, the change was needed by both Cronin and UC. Bohn has made two fantastic hires in Fickell and Clark-Heard, so I am willing to cut him some leeway on Brannen because of those hires. Again, Brannen was hired three (maybe four) weeks ago. We have to exercise some patience and see how things develop.
But Brannnen was brohns homedogg, so the hire all makes since and they got him on the discount. I really don't know what brohn knows about basketball he is more of a financial manager over the dept. Fickell fell right in UC's lap he's a Ohio guy too. They got lucky I don't think you can compare hires in general... But yea the administration clearly might of over thought this whole thing and now look at us... Grasping for hope and prayer
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:26 PM   #712
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
But Brannnen was brohns homedogg, so the hire all makes since and they got him on the discount. I really don't know what brohn knows about basketball he is more of a financial manager over the dept. Fickell fell right in UC's lap he's a Ohio guy too. They got lucky I don't think you can compare hires in general... But yea the administration clearly might of over thought this whole thing and now look at us... Grasping for hope and prayer
I think there's about 4 people on this message board who are "grasping for hope and prayer". Everyone else is just kind of waiting to see how the process unfolds and not having mental breakdowns.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:02 PM   #713
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Is there a time constraint on entering the transfer portal without effecting remaining eligibility ?
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:05 PM   #714
z_bearcat

z_bearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
I think there's about 4 people on this message board who are "grasping for hope and prayer". Everyone else is just kind of waiting to see how the process unfolds and not having mental breakdowns.
Yes, the rest of us are waiting more than one month to see how Brannen will do.

Cronin left on his own to take a dream job that very few people have the opportunity to take - his words paraphrased. I think those four people just can’t face the fact that UCLA was a better opportunity than UC in Cronin’s view. UC fans have to move on instead of predicting doom and gloom when Brannen has held the job for four weeks.
z_bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:47 PM   #715
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
So none of the 247 guys like brannen?
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:52 PM   #716
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Exercise patience when this guy can't keep a high level d1 roster together or get a coaching staff in here. This is a joke it really is this guy has no proven track record of anything really why all this leash?? Looking at Cronin tenure it would have to involve a more broad thinking he actually was improving but just not advancing but honestly, nobody should ever judge a season on mainly just the postseason something eventually would have to give in that regard. I don't get it, so would ppl rather miss the tourney for 4 yrs in exchange for one final 4, championship appearance? Do we want consistent seasonal success? Anyway, I honestly could care less about comparing a football and women's basketball hire to this hire, certainly thier are different variables at play and the 3 don't compare
Some people on here legit have no clue. What has it been, 3weeks? A month? In that time, People are expecting no transfers and a top recruiting class this year. I don’t know how the transfers are his fault. Brooks was transferring the day he was hired. Jc was testing the waters wether mick was here or not. Curtis had a relationship with a staff that is no longer here. How are these things the new coaches fault?
He was at Alabama, I’m sure he has an idea what it takes to win at a high level. Wether he can do that or not, no idea. Maybe he can’t but stop freaking out

Last edited by cincyguy13; 05-07-2019 at 07:57 PM.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:04 PM   #717
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think he will be. The writing is on the wall he can't even recuruit coaching staff. How do you not keep a tournament team together?? This was gonna be the best team since gclarks senior year. I'm disappointed man, everybody else should be too but mainly at the administration. How does Mick leave here and get 20 something mil and Brannnen makes less than Mick??? Oh so cheap I'm annoyed. So if Brannnen some how wins the way everybody wants will they pay him. Gotta have continuity in college Athletics this isn't the pros
Honest question for you and jhub, would you guy fire him right now if it was up to you? I don’t get it. Mick left. For whatever reason, he’s gone. What do you want to do? They hired a guy with a good resume for at his level. What is it that you want?
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:54 PM   #718
beeman7467

beeman7467 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So recruits can’t fall into your lap, but coaches can? Bohn could have hired any other number head football coaches. He chose Fickell. A great choice. Just because your not happy with the loss of Mick and hiring of Brannen doesn’t diminish the Fickell hiring. And for the record, there’s only a minority of people “grasping for hope and prayer”.
beeman7467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:05 PM   #719
beeman7467

beeman7467 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
He actually was following everyone on the team at one point but then went and unfollowed all of them.

That’s when we knew he was going to opt out.

Either way. This doesn’t feel good. We were from nationally relevant every single year to now have no idea what the hell is going on
Please clarify “nationally relevant”. In our little bubble, yes, it’s nice to think the Bearcats are on minds of every basketball pundit. Truth is, they’re not. Spin it how you want, but the post season matters. And they have not been a serious threat for years. Even when the bracket opened up for them like a gift from heaven, Mick couldn’t take advantage. He was done here. He chose to leave. And it’ll be ok if Brannen succeeds or not.
beeman7467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:36 PM   #720
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman7467 View Post
Please clarify “nationally relevant”. In our little bubble, yes, it’s nice to think the Bearcats are on minds of every basketball pundit. Truth is, they’re not. Spin it how you want, but the post season matters. And they have not been a serious threat for years. Even when the bracket opened up for them like a gift from heaven, Mick couldn’t take advantage. He was done here. He chose to leave. And it’ll be ok if Brannen succeeds or not.

Ok my guy.

It’s guys like you who keep setting the bar higher and higher for Brannen by down playing the importance of Mick.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote