Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #141
z_bearcat

z_bearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser Mentality View Post
So as we revisit Jarron's OSU performance, and his overall buy in, Like I stated after the OSU game....This is Brannen's team, and Jarron is just a potentially great player coming back after the NBA told him your not ready. His behavior, attitude, lack of effort could be potentially infectious to such a young team. Brannen set the tone as all leaders must do. Cross me, and find a seat on the bench. I hate when people say we need Jarron. As a fan I have a realistic perspective to not needing Jarron. Of course he's the best player, he just needs to live up to it, and carry the banner as a leader for the entire season. By Brannen sitting the "Best" he got the attention of his team, which probably com[leted the buy in of everyone else not named Jarron. Good Stuff.
LM, this is a thoughtful, well stated and cogent argument. If only all of us posted using such criteria for our posts, this would be a much better place to live and read posts.
z_bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:34 AM   #142
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by z_bearcat View Post
Brannen played college basketball. He was a pretty decent player at Marshall, in its HOF actually. Get your facts straight before shooting off your jibberish.
LMAO only person that I can remember in there hall of fame is Randy moss. I really dont care what brannen did at Marshall. Not everyone is a Headcoach... If u need to get very specific guys to rally behind you than ion don't know how u expect to be among the best of the best
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:37 AM   #143
JoeRunner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcats92 View Post
Yeah and a 5’2 short bald cocky ugly guy who has short man syndrome and doesn’t let his players play who is stuck in 1990 and can’t coach offense is real interesting. Get real man.
No you get real. Cronin coached under two hall of famers... That's pass enough already and has been doing this at a high level for a while and is still young. Brannen hasn't even accomplished some of the things even Cronin has. We took a step back not forward. But you'll see we're seeing it now
Old 11-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #144
z_bearcat

z_bearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
LMAO only person that I can remember in there hall of fame is Randy moss. I really dont care what brannen did at Marshall. Not everyone is a Headcoach... If u need to get very specific guys to rally behind you than ion don't know how u expect to be among the best of the best
Of course you don't care because you are clearly against Brannen. Unlike the vast majority of members on this forum, you have already made your decision about Brannen after three games as head coach. Three games in which he has not yet installed all of the offense (30% I believe), when he is still getting to know his players and what their capabilities are, when he is trying to find the best lineup while using different lineups, when Jarron has missed much of workouts due to injury. I think it's fair to judge Brannen on his performance on these first three games given all of the above. (Please note sarcasm here).
z_bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:59 AM   #145
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Brannen played college basketball. He was a pretty decent player at Marshall, in its HOF actually. Get your facts straight before shooting off your jibberish.
He's referring to Brannen's personality. The fact that he played college basketball is irrelevant.

Brannen does have seem to have a more bland personality than Cronin or Huggins had. Brannen is not fiery on the sidelines and pretty "coach speak" in interviews. That's not necessarily a bad thing though.

I thought at the time that Brannen was the best hire we could make and still think so.

The issue is that Brannen seems not to be doing well at personality management. He lost half of last years team to transfers and is having issues with Jarron. Brannen's philsophy seems to be "treat everyone equally" that sounds great in theory and works when your best recruits are 200+ ranked guys. But when you are getting high rated guys who are used to special treatment, it may not win many of the over.

On the court we talk about adjusting the system to the player - emphasizing players strengths and hiding their weaknesses, finding ways to fit square pegs into round holes. Off the court it is the same with personalities, you have to find a way to make it work for different personalities. If you are set in a certain system and unwilling to adjust, it limits the recruiting pool.

Of course as he gets his own recruits it becomes less of an issue. Every coach likes to get "his guys" who are a fit in both style and personality. The problem is Brannen probably has at most 3 years to make the NCAA tournament, so he's going to have to do it with Cronin recruits.

Jarron could leave today and go play international ball and it would barely (if at all) effect his draft stock. Brannen probably isn't making the NCAA tournament this year without Jarron and likely isn't making it next year with a very young team. His seat is going to be hot (if not on fire) year 3 if he hasn't been to an NCAA tournament. Not to mention, that failing to work with Jarron would be a bad look for recruiting.

Brannen needs Jarron more than Jarron needs Brannen, and that means Brannen may need to make some compromises to get Jarron on board.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:12 AM   #146
Bearcats92

Bearcats92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No you get real. Cronin coached under two hall of famers... That's pass enough already and has been doing this at a high level for a while and is still young. Brannen hasn't even accomplished some of the things even Cronin has. We took a step back not forward. But you'll see we're seeing it now
There are plenty of guys that have coached under hall of gamers and aren’t good head coaches. Cronin couldn’t coach offense to save his life. Get off your knees and off his dick and face the facts. Give Brannen a chance. No one is saying he is the greatest coach of all time.
Bearcats92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:21 AM   #147
JoeRunner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcats92 View Post
There are plenty of guys that have coached under hall of gamers and aren’t good head coaches. Cronin couldn’t coach offense to save his life. Get off your knees and off his dick and face the facts. Give Brannen a chance. No one is saying he is the greatest coach of all time.
Dude pls watch ur mouth. It's not all like that.. making obvious points here. I Cronin has a better resume has beaten better coaches just stating facts. Brannen can't say the same and it's not like he's young
Old 11-16-2019, 09:23 AM   #148
JoeRunner89

[QUOTE=skyblade;201842]He's referring to Brannen's personality. The fact that he played college basketball is irrelevant.

Brannen does have seem to have a more bland personality than Cronin or Huggins had. Brannen is not fiery on the sidelines and pretty "coach speak" in interviews. That's not necessarily a bad thing though.

I thought at the time that Brannen was the best hire we could make and still think so.

The issue is that Brannen seems not to be doing well at personality management. He lost half of last years team to transfers and is having issues with Jarron. Brannen's philsophy seems to be "treat everyone equally" that sounds great in theory and works when your best recruits are 200+ ranked guys. But when you are getting high rated guys who are used to special treatment, it may not win many of the over.

On the court we talk about adjusting the system to the player - emphasizing players strengths and hiding their weaknesses, finding ways to fit square pegs into round holes. Off the court it is the same with personalities, you have to find a way to make it work for different personalities. If you are set in a certain system and unwilling to adjust, it limits the recruiting pool.

Of course as he gets his own recruits it becomes less of an issue. Every coach likes to get "his guys" who are a fit in both style and personality. The problem is Brannen probably has at most 3 years to make the NCAA tournament, so he's going to have to do it with Cronin recruits.

Jarron could leave today and go play international ball and it would barely (if at all) effect his draft stock. Brannen probably isn't making the NCAA tournament this year without Jarron and likely isn't making it next year with a very young team. His seat is going to be hot (if not on fire) year 3 if he hasn't been to an NCAA tournament. Not to mention, that failing to work with Jarron would be a bad look for recruiting.

Brannen needs Jarron more than Jarron needs Brannen, and that means Brannen may need to make some compromises to get Jarron on board.[/QUOute
My sentiments exactly gotta be the complete package to be even close to elite
Old 11-16-2019, 09:31 AM   #149
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Why is it that some ppl dont understand that for some things you can see the writing on the wall before things take place. I knew this hire would start the ripple affect that it has and i knew other hires were more appropriate for this program where it was currently standing. Not good at all that the roster isnt responding to him as they could be right now. The players u just mentioned are a whole lot more servicable than sorallo, vogt, and some of these guys. We had a top 15 team coming into this yr and a guy in position to be an all american
Are they more servicable? Most of them aren’t even playing at lower level schools. But you seem to think they are the missing link to a championship. Odd
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #150
JoeRunner89

Quote:
Of course you don't care because you are clearly against Brannen. Unlike the vast majority of members on this forum, you have already made your decision about Brannen after three games as head coach. Three games in which he has not yet installed all of the offense (30% I believe), when he is still getting to know his players and what their capabilities are, when he is trying to find the best lineup while using different lineups, when Jarron has missed much of workouts due to injury. I think it's fair to judge Brannen on his performance on these first three games given all of the above. (Please note sarcasm here).
He's partially the reason why the program is in the position it is now. Sorry I understood the day he was hired that he wouldn't be difference making and not everyone would want to play for him. Alumni were upset and still are. Why don't we just hire the NKU AD as well since he hired brannen