Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 9+ 12 24.49%
UC wins by 5-8 21 42.86%
UC wins by 1-4 12 24.49%
Xavier wins 4 8.16%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2017, 06:27 PM   #1
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Xavier

Game is Thursday at 7 PM on ESPN2

I'm guessing we'll be -4

Xavier 60
UC 73

We know how we need to play to win. Up to the guys to get it done.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:30 PM   #2
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Want this one bad. It's time to take back the city.

71-65 Cats.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
72-64 Cats.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:35 PM   #4
ltbbpodcast

ltbbpodcast is on a distinguished road
Not many chances left to get quality quality wins. We finally break through vs. X.

UC 74 - Xavier 59
ltbbpodcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:41 PM   #5
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member

AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
Just a W !!
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #6
2bearcatdad

2bearcatdad is on a distinguished road
This team is ready. It's time for Troy and Kevin to get their first win against X.

UC - 76
X - 68
2bearcatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:28 PM   #7
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
As a pretty obsessed College basketball fan, I can say that I've pretty much watch every Xavier game this season.

To win this game its going to be 80% mental in my opinion. I want the guys to come out relaxed and confident and very much just treat this game the way we've been treating every other game.

Some quick notes about the game:
--Like Most teams we've faced, this will be the best defense Xavier has faced all year. I'm excited to see how the man to man holds up as we know how they are good at exploiting our Matchup zone

--They on paper don't shoot the ball well, but have multiple capable shooters. Gates, Blueitt, Macura and even Bernard can all get hot from 3 and we lose if they happen to all get hot at the same time (they haven't all year long, which has largely been their problem

--Xavier's problem is our strength: Team chemistry. Xavier has struggled to have a good offensive flow all year. They turn the ball over a lot. They never seem to get all their best player to have a good game on the same night.

--They still rebound the ball extremely well and it will be a battle for the boards.

Things Im Interested to see:

-- Xavier Offense VS Our Man to man
-- Gary Clark Vs Trevon Blueitt. Blueitt has 5 points in 2 games against us but he returned the favor last year and largely alone helped hold Gary Clark to a goose egg in a hugely important game
--The Flow of the game. Im curious as to which pace this game is played. I personally don't want to run too much but also don't want to grind it out. Just a nice even pace I feel is our advantage and we can always grind it out if we need to. Also curious to see how the game is called. I hope to God its not anything like we saw today at Tulane. Xavier fouls a lot and their bigs foul a lot more than ours.

Defensively I think the best shot we have at stopping Edmund Sumner will be to have Jacob Evans guard him. Evans has the length and ability to limit him. If we put TC on Sumner, it could be a long night.

Take the Charge Edmund Sumner goes recklessly to the basket multiple times a game. Its hard to get in front of him because he is so quick but we need to try. Also if we get beat, I feel much better about fouling him pretty hard at the rim to make him think twice about it and avoid the And 1. I hate when people touch foul him on his way to the basket and he AND 1's them all game because you didn't foul hard enough to disrupt his shot. If you gonna foul, get your money's worth.

Defend The 3: If Mick just looks at the stats and decides to give X the 3 point shot, it could be bad news. Good players hit big shots in big games and this will be a huge game for Xavier. Force them to beat your some other way.

Attack the lane Attack X's post players and also attack the driving lanes. In most of Xavier's tougher games, they were either beat by guys attacking the basket or just good 3 point shooting. they have no shot blocker. Gaston is big but doesn't play above the rim.

MYLES DAVIS

Im kinda sad we couldn't boo the shit out of him but I do love that he won't have the opportunity to go undefeated against UC.

Im pretty excited about this game. This is the first time not watching the Crosstown shootout from home and one of the main reasons I renewed my season tickets even with a pretty weak home slate. Crowd should be insanity
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:04 PM   #8
Cataclysmo

Cataclysmo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
As a pretty obsessed College basketball fan, I can say that I've pretty much watch every Xavier game this season.

To win this game its going to be 80% mental in my opinion. I want the guys to come out relaxed and confident and very much just treat this game the way we've been treating every other game.

Some quick notes about the game:
--Like Most teams we've faced, this will be the best defense Xavier has faced all year. I'm excited to see how the man to man holds up as we know how they are good at exploiting our Matchup zone

--They on paper don't shoot the ball well, but have multiple capable shooters. Gates, Blueitt, Macura and even Bernard can all get hot from 3 and we lose if they happen to all get hot at the same time (they haven't all year long, which has largely been their problem

--Xavier's problem is our strength: Team chemistry. Xavier has struggled to have a good offensive flow all year. They turn the ball over a lot. They never seem to get all their best player to have a good game on the same night.

--They still rebound the ball extremely well and it will be a battle for the boards.

Things Im Interested to see:

-- Xavier Offense VS Our Man to man
-- Gary Clark Vs Trevon Blueitt. Blueitt has 5 points in 2 games against us but he returned the favor last year and largely alone helped hold Gary Clark to a goose egg in a hugely important game
--The Flow of the game. Im curious as to which pace this game is played. I personally don't want to run too much but also don't want to grind it out. Just a nice even pace I feel is our advantage and we can always grind it out if we need to. Also curious to see how the game is called. I hope to God its not anything like we saw today at Tulane. Xavier fouls a lot and their bigs foul a lot more than ours.

Defensively I think the best shot we have at stopping Edmund Sumner will be to have Jacob Evans guard him. Evans has the length and ability to limit him. If we put TC on Sumner, it could be a long night.

Take the Charge Edmund Sumner goes recklessly to the basket multiple times a game. Its hard to get in front of him because he is so quick but we need to try. Also if we get beat, I feel much better about fouling him pretty hard at the rim to make him think twice about it and avoid the And 1. I hate when people touch foul him on his way to the basket and he AND 1's them all game because you didn't foul hard enough to disrupt his shot. If you gonna foul, get your money's worth.

Defend The 3: If Mick just looks at the stats and decides to give X the 3 point shot, it could be bad news. Good players hit big shots in big games and this will be a huge game for Xavier. Force them to beat your some other way.

Attack the lane Attack X's post players and also attack the driving lanes. In most of Xavier's tougher games, they were either beat by guys attacking the basket or just good 3 point shooting. they have no shot blocker. Gaston is big but doesn't play above the rim.

MYLES DAVIS

Im kinda sad we couldn't boo the shit out of him but I do love that he won't have the opportunity to go undefeated against UC.

Im pretty excited about this game. This is the first time not watching the Crosstown shootout from home and one of the main reasons I renewed my season tickets even with a pretty weak home slate. Crowd should be insanity
Great write up, it seems you've watched both teams quite a bit.

I agree with the comment about "mentality" being the key factor in this game. While it's debatable who the "better" team is, it's obvious UC is playing better basketball at this point. Half the battle will almost certainly be on Mick's end to motivate the guys. I'm happy he mentioned the shootout during his postgame comments with Dan. Glad he understands that we need this game.

In terms of the X's and O's, I'm curious to see what we get from our seniors. Troy and Kevin are too good of players to finish their careers 0-4 against Xavier. They need to play like they have over the last 10 games for us to win.

All in all, I'm confident heading into this game. I bought the mini plan for this one, and hope it pays off. Should be a great atmosphere-any word on who will be there? Recently saw that football recruit Aeneas Hawkins will be in attendance...think it would be great to see Oscar and Kenyon there too, amongst others. Haven't been this pumped for the shootout in years!

Last edited by Cataclysmo; 01-21-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Cataclysmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:21 AM   #9
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Our seniors have been playing light years better lately than the first half of our games. Keep it up one more game and I think we win! We can't get in foul trouble. Work it inside.

We got this!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:04 AM   #10
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Our seniors have been playing light years better lately than the first half of our games. Keep it up one more game and I think we win! We can't get in foul trouble. Work it inside.

We got this!
hope your right WH. I can't waite for this game. Really don't want to get caught up in scores or any other BS. I just want a win. I thought we would do well through the front part of our schedule. Now it's time to take back the city. No reason we shouldn't win this game.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote