Cougars by 1-4 points 0 0%
Cougars by 5+ points 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #171
Uclawrugby

Uclawrugby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Again, my rant wasnt over your comment. It was a two fold comment. My rant was over the constant negativity of this board. Tbh, I dont care how long you've been a fan or anybody just as nobody cares how long I've been a fan. We're all fans and we come on this board to talk about our favorite team. We go out in the real world and hear our team being bashed, we come here to get away from that. So when we come here and have to read about our team being bashed then what's the point? That was the point of my rant. You can dislike my condescension all you want, I'm tired of every single thing you say talking about how Logan Johnson should be playing over Justin Jenifer and Mick Cronin is an idiot for not seeing it. You are 100 percent completely wrong about it. Now most of the time I let this stuff slide and dont comment or just disappear for a few days or whatever if the board gets so bad. But sometimes this shit really rubs me the wrong way and I comment. Your opinion of Logan/Jenifer/Mick does that, so I've called you out numerous times for your comments on it as have others. Last year the whole year we had to listen to the entire board bitch and moan about Cane not starting over Jenifer. It gets old. But its whatever. If this board wants to let you constantly post how you predict Logan Johnson will transfer because of the incompetency of Mick (who has a top 5 winning percentage in the past 5 years) then they can choose to entertain your thoughts. Me I'm going to call you out on it.
Apparently Mick agrees with me because he emphatically told the press that the Bearcats are having try outs to see who gets on the plane to Memphis. In other words all bets are off. Glad he learned his lesson. Also I don’t know what world you live in but I don’t heart constant bashing of the Bearcats anywhere. WLW and the Enquirer are generally very supportive. Even Xavier fans generally treat us with more courtesy than we give to them (I hate to admit that). Sounds like you may have a conspiratorial mindset. Finally I got a law degree from UC and got a very healthy respect for the first amendment. If we can not bounce our thoughts around here it is a worthless forum.
Uclawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:15 AM   #172
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpaw View Post
I don't believe Mick gave up, I think Cumberland did and that is why he got yanked. He was not playing D or hustling at this point, and I think it was time for Mick to set him straight and get him in line prior to this grind to come. I was happy that he did this, you have to keep the tone set for your team and even if your best player falls out of line, you have to reprimand.

Cpaw
Post game mick said he took him out cause we weren't winning, it had been a long season for CUmberland and he needed rest, and he was managing against injury.

Whether or not it was the right thing to do is up for debate. But Mick gave up on that game. Perhaps the right long term move (injury to Cumberland in a game that would have been a long shot would have been devastating) or perhaps it was the wrong move, sending that message to your team. Regardless, it's what he did.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #173
cincycpaw
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
It was a long day for all of us, obviously no one is happy about the loss, but the sun rose this morning and the season is not over. I will not argue about Mick's march record because that speaks for itself. But if you honestly believe that Cincinnati can do so much better than Mick Cronin you are extremely ignorant. There aren't any coaches exactly lining up for this job. Everyone needs to pull there head out of the Huggins era ( which was filled with school sanctions and multiple let downs in march) because we are never going back to that. Essentially Mick is being penalized because he got this team to overachieve when everyone thought they would suck when they lost Gary and Jacob. But when we started to overachieve a lot of people irrationally adjusted their expectations. This team could very easily have 10 losses. Some of you need to be realistic about Cincinnati Basketball.
Can we please stop with this nonsense. Because you do not want a rational discussion about it...I mean starting off by calling people ignorant is pretty stupid.

Realistic about Cincinnati basketball? I wonder what are your expectations. Mine are (not in order of importance) to 1) Recruit in the top 3 teams of the league every year 2) Send players to the NBA 3) Not have NCAA sanctions 4) Compete for conference title almost every year 5) Make the NCAA tournament every year 6) Make the sweet 16 every 4 years 7) Make the Final Four every 10-12 years. I'll admit this is a bit of a stretch goal but it has to be a goal.

That's what I want from my Cincinnati Bearcat basketball.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #174
Cpaw

Cpaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Post game mick said he took him out cause we weren't winning, it had been a long season for CUmberland and he needed rest, and he was managing against injury.

Whether or not it was the right thing to do is up for debate. But Mick gave up on that game. Perhaps the right long term move (injury to Cumberland in a game that would have been a long shot would have been devastating) or perhaps it was the wrong move, sending that message to your team. Regardless, it's what he did.
Yah, I heard that also. My thought was Mick was not going to out Cumberland to the media, but probably did so in the locker room. Some things are better not to let out. This is my opinion on the matter, could be completely wrong but just throwing it out there.

Cpaw

Fortune Favors the Bold
Cpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #175
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Can we please stop with this nonsense. Because you do not want a rational discussion about it...I mean starting off by calling people ignorant is pretty stupid.

Realistic about Cincinnati basketball? I wonder what are your expectations. Mine are (not in order of importance) to 1) Recruit in the top 3 teams of the league every year 2) Send players to the NBA 3) Not have NCAA sanctions 4) Compete for conference title almost every year 5) Make the NCAA tournament every year 6) Make the sweet 16 every 4 years 7) Make the Final Four every 10-12 years. I'll admit this is a bit of a stretch goal but it has to be a goal.

How exactly do I not want a rational discussion? This is an open forum correct? I am open to discuss anything. I openly stated that Mick's march record speaks for itself and there is no need to argue that? But where did I say I didn't want a "rational discussion" about anything else I said? As for the ignorant comment being "stupid", calling for Mick's job because he lost to a superior Houston team is extremely stupid. Wanting Mick fired for blowing the Nevada loss or his disappointment in march, fine. People are obviously entitled to there opinion. If we were on the bubble right now and got in as a 10 seed and won a game in march everyone would have been satisfied considering what we lost last year. The mindset for fans was entirely different before the season. As for your goals, we are hitting every goal except the last two. We have won like 85 games in the last 3 years and have been in contention for the conference championship, made the tournament 9 years in a row, sent a handful of guys to the NBA, no sanctions. So most of your goals you stated are being met (aside from sweet 16 every 4 years and final four every 10-12 years). So you are getting what you want for the most part out of Cincinnati Basketball based on what you said.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:25 AM   #176
cincycpaw
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
How exactly do I not want a rational discussion? This is an open forum correct? I am open to discuss anything. I openly stated that Mick's march record speaks for itself and there is no need to argue that? But where did I say I didn't want a "rational discussion" about anything else I said? As for the ignorant comment being "stupid", calling for Mick's job because he lost to a superior Houston team is extremely stupid. Wanting Mick fired for blowing the Nevada loss or his disappointment in march, fine. People are obviously entitled to there opinion. If we were on the bubble right now and got in as a 10 seed and won a game in march everyone would have been satisfied considering what we lost last year. The mindset for fans was entirely different before the season. As for your goals, we are hitting every goal except the last two. We have won like 85 games in the last 3 years and have been in contention for the conference championship, made the tournament 9 years in a row, sent a handful of guys to the NBA, no sanctions. So most of your goals you stated are being met (aside from sweet 16 every 4 years and final four every 10-12 years). So you are getting what you want for the most part out of Cincinnati Basketball based on what you said.
We are hitting a bunch of those goals with 2 big misses. What are your goals, now that we aren’t calling people ignorant let’s have a discussion.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #177
alwaysawarrior

alwaysawarrior is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpaw View Post
Yah, I heard that also. My thought was Mick was not going to out Cumberland to the media, but probably did so in the locker room. Some things are better not to let out. This is my opinion on the matter, could be completely wrong but just throwing it out there.

Cpaw
This is exactly what I thought. Cumberland had made a couple of awful attempts at defense, plays you can't just let go. I think Mick benched him but didn't want to call him out in the media.

There have been several plays like this in the last few games where he's not done some of the things he needs to. I'm not sure what's went on because he was great at the little things to. Not sure if it's fatigue, attitude or what but certainly something that needed addressed.
alwaysawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #178
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We are hitting a bunch of those goals with 2 big misses. What are your goals, now that we aren’t calling people ignorant let’s have a discussion.
Perfect, now that we are not calling things stupid, I'd love to have a discussion. My goals are very much like yours. (In no order). 1.) Continue to recruit at a high level, I will agree that we should in some classes try and recruit more offensive minded players to help balance the defensive minded team, we have seen that one elite offensive player doesn't work well over a 5 months season i.e Jarron Cumberland/ SK. I think players like Samari Curtis is a step in the right direction for that. Huggins was able to recruit elite recruits but still disappointed in March. 2.) compete for a conference championship every year, which we have done for most of our time in the American. 3.) No sanctions/ recruiting violations, which we have not had any to my knowledge since Cronin has been here. 4.) Graduate our players, which we are in the 90th percentile of graduating players (Jacob Evans is an obvious exception because he was a first-round talent). 5.) Make the tournament ever year, which we have not missed a tournament since 2010. 6.) Make a deeper run in March than past years. While I agree that it is by no means okay to become complacent and be just okay with making the tournament, there are many teams who would kill to have the success Cincinnati has had. As always everyone is entitled to their opinion and that is what makes discussing UC basketball fun. The season is not over, and I am personally excited for the tournament.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #179
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

If you are an good program, I don't think a sweet 16 every couple years is too much to ask. There is really no excuse for not.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #180
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
It is hard to be as bad as we have been in the tournament over the last 20 years. Even Dayton made an elite 8 1 year. You should luck in to a run every once in a while. At some point you have to think it is the system or the players.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 03-11-2019 at 11:03 AM.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote