Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 06-05-2019, 10:57 AM   #51
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I don't think replacing those players (in bold) will be much of an issue. But I agree we need at least 1 if not 2 players to step into a significant role. Probably Moore, McNeal, or Diara...but one of the less experienced guys would be a nice bonus. Gillam, Hardnett, Davenport, MAW.

I think Sorolla is what he is and we will need him for backup but he's not likely going to wow anyone.
Yeah, I think our top 4 players are at least as good (and maybe better) as our top 4 last year. And our 7-10 players are at least as good as last year. But 5 and 6 is the big question mark. If Moore, Diarra and/or McNeal can answer that question we are in very good shape.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #52
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Yeah, I think our top 4 players are at least as good (and maybe better) as our top 4 last year. And our 7-10 players are at least as good as last year. But 5 and 6 is the big question mark. If Moore, Diarra and/or McNeal can answer that question we are in very good shape.
I think Cumberland and McNeal can do a good job of replacing Jenifer and Broome. But Brooks is a loss that will be tough to replace unless Diara is just a much better fit for Brannen's system because of outside shooting. And we will never know the answer to that even if Diara has a good year because we would play different if Brooks were in.

Put Brooks back on our team for Sorolla? That's a major improvement!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:15 AM   #53
skyblade
Epic Member

I'm not convinced by McNeal, he's not the slasher Broome was so I'm not sure Brannen's offense will really help him. Almost 2/3rds of his attempts at New Mexico were from 3 and he shot poorly from 3. His assist/TO ratio was only 1.45. I'll gladly be wrong, but I don't see him being more than a solid backup.

Hardnett is listed as 6'8" and looks to be 6'8" (unlike Prince who is listed as 6'7" and looks to be only 6'5"). Assuming put on weight his redshirt year (he was listed as 210# last year), he should be very close to the same size as Scott (who is 6'8" 225#).

I think style wise on offense he is more of a 3 than a 4 or a 5. But size wise, he is big enough to play as a 4 or undersized 5 on defense. Pair him with Scott and that's enough size to get by defensively. We really only have 4 guys on the roster who are big enough to play the 4/5 and not have us be undersized (Scott, Diarra, Sorolla, Hardnett), so I imagine Hardnett will get an opportunity to play some minutes.

I'm not opposed to going small. But it seems to require having guards who are willing/able to go inside and bang. Keith seems too skinny to really bang inside, Jarron has the body for it, but he's not athletic enough to rebound well. Jaevin also doesn't seem like a guy who can do much down low. McNeal definitely isn't. We don't have a JaQuan Parker or Rashad Bishop type on this team (Moore or Prince could be, but they aren't starters).
Old 06-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #54
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
I think Cumberland and McNeal can do a good job of replacing Jenifer and Broome. But Brooks is a loss that will be tough to replace unless Diara is just a much better fit for Brannen's system because of outside shooting. And we will never know the answer to that even if Diara has a good year because we would play different if Brooks were in.

Put Brooks back on our team for Sorolla? That's a major improvement!
Yeah, trade Sorolla for Brooks and I think this is a top 10 team. I'd even trade Jaevin for Brooks. Our center position is a huge question mark and not deep either. I'm optimistic that Diarra will manage to do well, but if we don't make the NCAA tournament this year it's almost certainly going to be because of issues at center.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #55
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah, trade Sorolla for Brooks and I think this is a top 10 team. I'd even trade Jaevin for Brooks. Our center position is a huge question mark and not deep either. I'm optimistic that Diarra will manage to do well, but if we don't make the NCAA tournament this year it's almost certainly going to be because of issues at center.

The brooks thing is so baffling. Unless he's doing it to game the system and get another year of free education. if thats the case, go him, screw the ncaa.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:39 AM   #56
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'm not convinced by McNeal, he's not the slasher Broome was so I'm not sure Brannen's offense will really help him. Almost 2/3rds of his attempts at New Mexico were from 3 and he shot poorly from 3. His assist/TO ratio was only 1.45. I'll gladly be wrong, but I don't see him being more than a solid backup.

Hardnett is listed as 6'8" and looks to be 6'8" (unlike Prince who is listed as 6'7" and looks to be only 6'5"). Assuming put on weight his redshirt year (he was listed as 210# last year), he should be very close to the same size as Scott (who is 6'8" 225#).

I think style wise on offense he is more of a 3 than a 4 or a 5. But size wise, he is big enough to play as a 4 or undersized 5 on defense. Pair him with Scott and that's enough size to get by defensively. We really only have 4 guys on the roster who are big enough to play the 4/5 and not have us be undersized (Scott, Diarra, Sorolla, Hardnett), so I imagine Hardnett will get an opportunity to play some minutes.

I'm not opposed to going small. But it seems to require having guards who are willing/able to go inside and bang. Keith seems too skinny to really bang inside, Jarron has the body for it, but he's not athletic enough to rebound well. Jaevin also doesn't seem like a guy who can do much down low. McNeal definitely isn't. We don't have a JaQuan Parker or Rashad Bishop type on this team (Moore or Prince could be, but they aren't starters).
I think Jarron can guard a PF on the block so you don't really have to put in Hardnett before going small unless he gives you an advantage. But otherwise I would agree...he gives some nice size and mobility and options on D. But can he shoot? He's not a back to the basket guy. What does he give you on offense? That is the unknown...he can dribble for his size but he has to be a good slasher or a low post option or a shooter.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #57
IDC

IDC is on a distinguished road
I think Hardnett is the most unknown of a guy as I can remember. He's a guy who played PG in high school but can't shoot whatsovever. Now people are talking about him playing the 5? Does he have the handle to play like Ben Simmons?

Will be interesting to see how he is used in Brannen's system, and i guess we'll never know how Mick intended to use him.
IDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #58
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
I think Jarron can guard a PF on the block so you don't really have to put in Hardnett before going small unless he gives you an advantage. But otherwise I would agree...he gives some nice size and mobility and options on D. But can he shoot? He's not a back to the basket guy. What does he give you on offense? That is the unknown...he can dribble for his size but he has to be a good slasher or a low post option or a shooter.
Yeah, Jarron defended the 4 at times last year. He did a good job bodying guys away from the basket, but if they were close they could turn and shoot over him without him really effecting the shot. Rebounding would the biggest concern with Jarron at the 4, the opposing 4 would have 3 inches on him and probably be able to out jump him.

From highlight videos, it seems like Hardnett was a slasher in HS, though he can shoot it from outside. He's definitely not a back to the basket guy. His handle was good enough that he played PG at times in HS (similar to how Cumberland played PG last year). I'm excited to see how his play translate to UC, but I guess we still have several months to wait.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:56 AM   #59
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, Jarron defended the 4 at times last year. He did a good job bodying guys away from the basket, but if they were close they could turn and shoot over him without him really effecting the shot. Rebounding would the biggest concern with Jarron at the 4, the opposing 4 would have 3 inches on him and probably be able to out jump him.

From highlight videos, it seems like Hardnett was a slasher in HS, though he can shoot it from outside. He's definitely not a back to the basket guy. His handle was good enough that he played PG at times in HS (similar to how Cumberland played PG last year). I'm excited to see how his play translate to UC, but I guess we still have several months to wait.
That's the thing with Jarron. He knows where to put his body. He doesn't just let you back him down to the block and he can create the space for a rebound by putting his ass end into you. Yes...that won't work every time...but it might be better than a guy who has no idea how to use his body but has 6" of reach on you. If Diara (or Hardnett) can't get position...what good does the height get you? It might be a wash...and if it is....the offense is the deciding factor.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #60
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDC View Post
I think Hardnett is the most unknown of a guy as I can remember. He's a guy who played PG in high school but can't shoot whatsovever. Now people are talking about him playing the 5? Does he have the handle to play like Ben Simmons?

Will be interesting to see how he is used in Brannen's system, and i guess we'll never know how Mick intended to use him.
Watching some videos of Hardnett in HS, it definitely looks like he is more of a slasher type. He's got a good handle and they'd use him to bring the ball up the court at times vs the press. Good passer as well. He makes some mistakes, but seems to be pretty solid. For a guy his size he seems to have a good handle and feel for the game (when/where to drive and when/where to pass).

Shooting wise, most of his shots were within 10 feet of the basket. He has a little bit of a mid-range game. Gets to the basket off the dribble well. Seems like he was able to use his size to get a lot of put back rebounds as well.

From 3, looks like he was very similar to Tre Scott. He can make them, but he only took them when he was wide open. Hopefully he worked on 3-point shooting during his RS year.