Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-29-2021, 11:32 AM   #121
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Archie never got over the hump at dayton (yes an elite 8 run as an 11 seed, but sometimes you just get lucky at the right time). They were between 50-69 all 6 years he was there. That just doesn't stand out to me as something we want. We wanted more than being 25-40, so I'm not sure how getting a coach that has proven to cap out at 50 is what we want.

Which again is why all of this seems like a mistake. If you're running off Brannen to get an Archie, or a Huggins assistant, I just don't know what the goal is.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:34 AM   #122
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Archie has had poor shooting teams in all four years at Indiana, and they've been near the very bottom of all college basketball in 3pt rate and pace. That's a concern for me in the modern game. And in general his stats are all over the map across his career. He's not consistently good in any area. He seems to be a good recruiter, but I'm not convinced he could bring the same level of guys he was getting at Indiana to UC.

I wouldn't hate an Archie hire. I wouldn't be very excited either.
I think excitement about who we get is pretty limited right now. Do we go with damage control or potential? It's not looking pretty...and confidence in making the right hire is pretty low (for me).

I am okay with a stop gap hire...shortish contract...to keep afloat until (or if) realignment should happen. If we don't land in P5 then we can re-address the situation in 3-4 years if we need to. I don't think Miller kills the program and seems to have some upside and perhaps a big name if alignment comes around.

It's a tough call...but those who get paid the big money better have better ideas than we do.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:46 AM   #123
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I think excitement about who we get is pretty limited right now. Do we go with damage control or potential? It's not looking pretty...and confidence in making the right hire is pretty low (for me).

I am okay with a stop gap hire...shortish contract...to keep afloat until (or if) realignment should happen. If we don't land in P5 then we can re-address the situation in 3-4 years if we need to. I don't think Miller kills the program and seems to have some upside and perhaps a big name if alignment comes around.

It's a tough call...but those who get paid the big money better have better ideas than we do.

I just think you go with unknown potential and see where it goes as opposed to known ceilings that aren't what you want.

We said it when Brannen was hired, there was no guarantee he was the right guy, and if he wasn't you find another guy. But you want it to be a guy with high potential. If you get a guy that can pick out the guys he wants for his system, this is the best time ever to get hired. There are more than enough players to pick from.

I don't like Archie because he's had plenty of his guys, and the results just aren't ever there.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:49 AM   #124
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Archie never got over the hump at dayton (yes an elite 8 run as an 11 seed, but sometimes you just get lucky at the right time). They were between 50-69 all 6 years he was there. That just doesn't stand out to me as something we want. We wanted more than being 25-40, so I'm not sure how getting a coach that has proven to cap out at 50 is what we want.

Which again is why all of this seems like a mistake. If you're running off Brannen to get an Archie, or a Huggins assistant, I just don't know what the goal is.
P5 may be a pipe dream or it may not. I will assume some of this is being done for positioning reasons for P5 (maybe it never happens). I would imagine that is foremost for the board and AD etc. So if CJB is leading us downhill we need to stop bleeding and put a good foot forward. This is by far from optimal but decisions are not just about BB being good again in 3-4 years. We need to right the ship and be solid (or pretend to be) in 1-2 years if we can.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:52 AM   #125
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
I'll admit that what excites me probably won't get the fan base excited. Jared Grasso would take UC basketball in a completely different direction. High pace, high scoring, modern basketball. If we're trying to keep players, I think Saunders, Eason, and the Madsens would love that style. But your average fan has never heard of Grasso, and would be bored to tears by a coach coming from a no-name school like Bryant. But I'd take that potential over a damage-control option like Archie any day.

My preferred damage control candidate is Nagy. Experienced, steady as a rock, seems like no baggage, probably a cheap hire.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:54 AM   #126
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
P5 may be a pipe dream or it may not. I will assume some of this is being done for positioning reasons for P5 (maybe it never happens). I would imagine that is foremost for the board and AD etc. So if CJB is leading us downhill we need to stop bleeding and put a good foot forward. This is by far from optimal but decisions are not just about BB being good again in 3-4 years. We need to right the ship and be solid (or pretend to be) in 1-2 years if we can.
The quickest way to be good in 1-2 years is likely with Brannen though, thats the rub in all of this. Again this is just assuming there isn't a sleeping bear behind the curtains that hasn't dropped yet.

Thats why this situation sucks so much. We are almost assuredly going to downgrade from what John Brannen's resume was when we hired him.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:00 PM   #127
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
I'll admit that what excites me probably won't get the fan base excited. Jared Grasso would take UC basketball in a completely different direction. High pace, high scoring, modern basketball. If we're trying to keep players, I think Saunders, Eason, and the Madsens would love that style. But your average fan has never heard of Grasso, and would be bored to tears by a coach coming from a no-name school like Bryant. But I'd take that potential over a damage-control option like Archie any day.

My preferred damage control candidate is Nagy. Experienced, steady as a rock, seems like no baggage, probably a cheap hire.

The average fan wants Erik Martin or NVE. Silliness.

I won't be sad if its Alexander, Grasso, or I guess Nagy (although how he's not just a lesser Brannen I'm not sure).

Archie will get a tear or two out of me. Same with Bryce Drew. Anybody else (unless there are some great assistants I just don't know about) I'm going to be pretty upset.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:13 PM   #128
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The average fan wants Erik Martin or NVE. Silliness.

I won't be sad if its Alexander, Grasso, or I guess Nagy (although how he's not just a lesser Brannen I'm not sure).

Archie will get a tear or two out of me. Same with Bryce Drew. Anybody else (unless there are some great assistants I just don't know about) I'm going to be pretty upset.
There could be some surprises out there. They seem to like Jon Scheyer over at BearcatNews. I wonder if Stan Heath wants to get back into college coaching. He's made a name for himself in the G League, which probably helps with some recruiting contacts. I'm sure he'd update his style from his USF days.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:53 PM   #129
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There could be some surprises out there. They seem to like Jon Scheyer over at BearcatNews. I wonder if Stan Heath wants to get back into college coaching. He's made a name for himself in the G League, which probably helps with some recruiting contacts. I'm sure he'd update his style from his USF days.
Jon Scheyer is super interesting. Without looking up feasibility, etc, some other names that at least make me go yeah, that could be fun:

Wes Miller
Mike Boyton
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:03 PM   #130
Lefty

Lefty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We are going to have a super tight budget right? I'm not sure if we are gonna have money for good assistants. It's looking like its going to take very penny we have to force brannen out.
Have been wondering why UC doesn’t use the
Endowment method to pay coaches thus
negating effects on budget. XU & ND do it and
I’m sure many others .
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote