Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-22-2021, 04:48 PM   #301
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
LePore is director of basketball operations per Wes Miller. Not sure why they gave it a different title in staff directory.

Weird that they haven't made an official announcement concerning Morgan yet, despite listing him in the directory. Wonder if they are waiting for the full staff to be set before they announce it.

Per Chad's podcast and some others, Mike Roberts should become official soon (possibly tomorrow). The third staff member is still an unknown. Some rumors around NVE based on Tari's mom's tweet, but nothing very substantial.
On the old staff there were three assistant coaches (Dwyer, Gee, Morris), an assistant to the head coach (Luhn), Director of Basketball Ops (Heatherly), Sports Program Associate (Crawford), and Video Coordinator (Neilson).

Seems like two separate positions for basketball ops and program associate. If Roberts and Morgan are taking two assistant spots, it appears there are still two left to fill. I don't really know anything about coaching staffs, I'm just reading what's in the staff directory.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:06 PM   #302
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
On the old staff there were three assistant coaches (Dwyer, Gee, Morris), an assistant to the head coach (Luhn), Director of Basketball Ops (Heatherly), Sports Program Associate (Crawford), and Video Coordinator (Neilson).

Seems like two separate positions for basketball ops and program associate. If Roberts and Morgan are taking two assistant spots, it appears there are still two left to fill. I don't really know anything about coaching staffs, I'm just reading what's in the staff directory.
I don't know much either. All I know for sure is that there are three assistants whom are allowed to recruit (no one else can besides the HC).

Assistant to the HC isn't actually an assistant coach in the sense it is usually used. It is a support role, non-recruiting. Not sure what they do.

I am almost positive that there were reports that LePore would be basketball ops, but perhaps that changed for one reason or another or I am misremembering. Program Associate is also a support role. I'd trust the staff directory over me.

Last edited by skyblade; 04-22-2021 at 05:08 PM.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:12 PM   #303
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Is this a “mid major” staff or not? I need to know.
Not at the rate it's going. Really the three assistants are the relevant ones as they are the ones who can recruit.

Thus far Wes has brought in Andre Morgan (mid-major, but familiar with Wes) and Mike Roberts (high-major). If his third is another guy at/above Roberts level (or NVE) I'd say everyone will be happy.

Brannen just brought his staff over from NKU. Wes has already done better and is still needs to add a "home-run" assistant.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:55 PM   #304
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
wait, did I miss some hires? I haven't followed it in the past couple days but the only ones I've seen is Lepore. Haven't seen anything on Mike Roberts (though read somewhere, can't recall where, that he wasn't known for being a great recruite).

I like what I've seen and heard of Miller, but to me it's striking how similar it has been to Brannen (remember his saying of "we won't knock on the door for recruits, we'll bang them down")...brings in his assistants from previous mid-major school, first recruit is a carryover from prior school, loses out on attempting to retain top player (Eason vs Brooks). Eerily similar considering the hate Brannen received. Granted Miller does seem to be a much better communicator and less awkward.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:58 PM   #305
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
wait, did I miss some hires? I haven't followed it in the past couple days but the only ones I've seen is Lepore. Haven't seen anything on Mike Roberts (though read somewhere, can't recall where, that he wasn't known for being a great recruite).

I like what I've seen and heard of Miller, but to me it's striking how similar it has been to Brannen (remember his saying of "we won't knock on the door for recruits, we'll bang them down")...brings in his assistants from previous mid-major school, first recruit is a carryover from prior school, loses out on attempting to retain top player (Eason vs Brooks). Eerily similar considering the hate Brannen received. Granted Miller does seem to be a much better communicator and less awkward.
I see almost no similarities between these two. Idk where you’re getting all that from lol
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:08 PM   #306
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
I see almost no similarities between these two. Idk where you’re getting all that from lol
getting all that from? everything I listed is true.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:11 PM   #307
Emperor Snapper

Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
Hayden Koval is a Bearcat. They need at least 3 bigs, so this is a start. Blocks a lot of shots, can step out to 3-point range. Doesn't seem to rebound much. Numbers look like a poverty-row Brook Lopez.

They need better players than Koval, but they need players, period and so this is a start at least
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:20 PM   #308
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Snapper View Post
Hayden Koval is a Bearcat. They need at least 3 bigs, so this is a start. Blocks a lot of shots, can step out to 3-point range. Doesn't seem to rebound much. Numbers look like a poverty-row Brook Lopez.

They need better players than Koval, but they need players, period and so this is a start at least
It’s a big body.... I hope he not being brought in to start
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:41 PM   #309
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
He'll need to be paired with the right front court partner but he offers a lot of solid intangibles.

He only committed 10 turnovers in 589 minutes of action last season.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:46 PM   #310
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post

There are some similarities, but many differences.

Brannen for example lost out on not just Brooks, but Nsoseme and LoJo as well. Plus he forced Hardnett out. Wes brought back 2/3 of players who were actively looking to leave when he arrived.

Mike Roberts was an assistant at IU the last two years. Not exactly a mid-major guy. Yes he was with Wes at UNCG before that, but two years at IU is nothing to scoff at. Andre Morgan is a mid-major guy, but he knows Wes well and can help him hit the the ground running. The third assistant is hopefully going to be the "home run", but even he's not Wes is already ahead of Brannen in the assistants category.

As for Koval. Even I, who was probably the biggest Vogt hater on here did not hate the signing of Vogt (that much). A guy who can help build culture and give some immediate contributions since we are desperate for bigs was fine with me. The problem Brannen made was when he started Vogt (and also brought in another plodding big in Sorolla). If Koval averages under 15 minutes and we also grab an athletic big man, there is nothing wrong with this signing. If Koval is expected to be a 25-30 minute starter, we've got problems.