Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-27-2021, 01:36 PM   #791
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
My minutes update (excluding DDJ as my hunch is that he's gone):
If DDJ does leave, we'll only have one player slated to graduate in each of the next two seasons. We already have five players with 4 years of eligibility left. Bringing in any more young players will give us extremely unbalanced classes. We might be looking at a somewhat active incoming and outgoing transfer portal over the next several years.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:50 PM   #792
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

McGinnis shot 53% from three in his prep year. Seems to be a pure shooter and a gym rat like Mason. So right now at the 2/3 spots, we have a couple of defense first players in MAW and Newman, paired with a couple of shooting threats in Madsen and McGinnis. Hopefully Wes has a winning combination there.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:56 PM   #793
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
McGinnis shot 53% from three in his prep year. Seems to be a pure shooter and a gym rat like Mason. So right now at the 2/3 spots, we have a couple of defense first players in MAW and Newman, paired with a couple of shooting threats in Madsen and McGinnis. Hopefully Wes has a winning combination there.
Sounds like McGinnis is no defensive slouch
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:23 PM   #794
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I think that DDJ is going to transfer. The longer it takes for him to make a decision, the more likely it seems he will transfer. Wes can't recruit as if DDJ is staying if he hasn't committed, because then there would be no replacement on roster if DDJ leaves. He has to recruit as if DDJ is going to transfer and by doing so, makes it more likely DDJ transfers. Same is true for Lakhin.

That said. MAW, DDJ, Saunders, Mason, Newman and McGinnis is 6 players for 3 positions if we assume JD is staying at the 4 (and Hensley is a 4). That's not too many minutes to go around.

Currently we have (roughly, since some players play multiple positions):

PG: DDJ (SR), Saunders (SO)
SG: MAW (JR), Mason (SO)
SF: Newman (JR), McGinnis (SO), Banks (JR)
PF: JD (JR), Hensley (SO)
C: Koval (SR), Lakhin (SO)

The two big concerns are the lack of a freshman class and the lack of an strong interior big man (or two). Koval is going to be pushed around in the American, Lakhin is an unknown and the JD/Hensley combo at the 4 probably isn't going to be grabbing a ton of boards.

If we assume DDJ and Lakhin aren't coming back, there is still room to add another guard and a couple of bigs.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:43 PM   #795
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
The two big concerns are the lack of a freshman class and the lack of an strong interior big man (or two). Koval is going to be pushed around in the American, Lakhin is an unknown and the JD/Hensley combo at the 4 probably isn't going to be grabbing a ton of boards.
Agreed about rebounding. I laid out my concerns here: bearcattalk.com/showthread.php?p=216225

For class balancing I think the problem is we have too big of a freshman class. Saunders, Madsen, McGinnis, Hensley, and Lakhin each have four years of eligibility remaining, the same as an incoming freshman would have. It's a big problem at guard, since we have four guys (Saunders, Madsen, McGinnis, MAW) who ideally play the two guard spots and have 3+ years left. That's going to make it tough to recruit new guards in the next couple years, and we'll have to replace all of them after that. If DDJ leaves and we bring in another young wing or PG, the problem just gets worse.

I agree that Wes needs to plan for DDJ's departure though. Ideally we have a senior transfer in mind who can play point, unless Wes is confident enough that MAW or Mason can handle it.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:13 AM   #796
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Agreed about rebounding. I laid out my concerns here: bearcattalk.com/showthread.php?p=216225

For class balancing I think the problem is we have too big of a freshman class. Saunders, Madsen, McGinnis, Hensley, and Lakhin each have four years of eligibility remaining, the same as an incoming freshman would have. It's a big problem at guard, since we have four guys (Saunders, Madsen, McGinnis, MAW) who ideally play the two guard spots and have 3+ years left. That's going to make it tough to recruit new guards in the next couple years, and we'll have to replace all of them after that. If DDJ leaves and we bring in another young wing or PG, the problem just gets worse.

I agree that Wes needs to plan for DDJ's departure though. Ideally we have a senior transfer in mind who can play point, unless Wes is confident enough that MAW or Mason can handle it.
I'm considering those guys as sophomores, not freshmen. A lot of players probably aren't going to use the extra year and I'd bet quite a few schools don't even honor it. A lot of guys will either graduate and go on with their career elsewhere or grad transfer. In general, staying for a year 5 doesn't help guys with their pro careers.

I guess it will come down to individual circumstances, but I don't think we should assume they will all (or even most) use the extra year.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:23 AM   #797
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I think that DDJ is going to transfer. The longer it takes for him to make a decision, the more likely it seems he will transfer. Wes can't recruit as if DDJ is staying if he hasn't committed, because then there would be no replacement on roster if DDJ leaves. He has to recruit as if DDJ is going to transfer and by doing so, makes it more likely DDJ transfers. Same is true for Lakhin.

That said. MAW, DDJ, Saunders, Mason, Newman and McGinnis is 6 players for 3 positions if we assume JD is staying at the 4 (and Hensley is a 4). That's not too many minutes to go around.

Currently we have (roughly, since some players play multiple positions):

PG: DDJ (SR), Saunders (SO)
SG: MAW (JR), Mason (SO)
SF: Newman (JR), McGinnis (SO), Banks (JR)
PF: JD (JR), Hensley (SO)
C: Koval (SR), Lakhin (SO)

If we assume DDJ and Lakhin aren't coming back, there is still room to add another guard and a couple of bigs.
Rebounding seems like a big issue right now unless CWM teams crash boards with guards. IDK. I still think we need to find a 5 who is going to play 25 minutes and can rebound and switch a little bit. Koval and Davenport as the starting 4 and 5 aren't going to get enough rebounds.

I am not too worried about how many guards we have. That will work itself out somehow. I only worry about playing small if Koval is the only big to rebound.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:42 AM   #798
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Rebounding seems like a big issue right now unless CWM teams crash boards with guards. IDK. I still think we need to find a 5 who is going to play 25 minutes and can rebound and switch a little bit. Koval and Davenport as the starting 4 and 5 aren't going to get enough rebounds.

I am not too worried about how many guards we have. That will work itself out somehow. I only worry about playing small if Koval is the only big to rebound.
It seems that Wes is still offering to guards to. It seems like it's getting close to the point where even if DDJ says he wants to come back, Wes may say sorry, we don't have a scholarship for you.

Biggest concern is definitely big men. If Koval is more than a 15-20 minute guy, we have problems. Who knows with Lakhin, perhaps Wes really likes him. But he doesn't seem to have the foot speed to deal with some of the bigs in the American. I'm starting to get a bit worried about facing Houston or Memphis and just getting dominated on the boards to the point where we have no chance.

Koval is at best equal to Vogt in rebounding and quite possibly a downgrade. Lakhin I'd say best case around Vogt level as well. Hensley downgrade from Eason on the boards. JD may end up leading us in rebounds and while I love JD, that's not ideal. We need a big or two who can get after it on the boards.

Worst case scenario we get a freshman and develop him. Maybe we are a bad rebounding team next year, I can deal with that (not expecting a ton). But I want to at least have a guy on the roster who can become a top rebounder, even if he needs work before he gets there.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:57 AM   #799
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

None of us can predict the future, but it seems like most players without pro potential are using their extra year. I don't think any of our guards have pro potential, they're all undersized. Redshirts usually stick around and play for four years afterwards. This situation isn't much different than that. Anyone can transfer now, not just graduates. So any incoming freshman will be in the same situation as the guys who just played their first year. From a rules/eligibility standpoint, they're all in the same class.

Regardless of how you want to classify them, we have five players (three guards) with 4 years of eligibility. Even if last year's freshmen do leave after their 4th year, we are still loaded with guards for the next several years. It's going to be tough to recruit to that position. We're talking to another guard with 4 years. If we used our remaining scholarships (incl. Banks) to bring in a typical 3 man freshman class we would have eight!

This roster construction points toward transfers being pushed out in a couple years, or huge turnover in 4 years with not much room for incoming freshmen until then (especially guards). It can work, but it's not ideal. Right now it seems like it could work because we're assuming a SG will get significant minutes at SF. And since these guys are all young, we're probably going to have to continue doing that for several years. If DDJ leaves but we want to bring in McMillan at point, we're right back to the same situation.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:18 PM   #800
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
None of us can predict the future, but it seems like most players without pro potential are using their extra year. I don't think any of our guards have pro potential, they're all undersized. Redshirts usually stick around and play for four years afterwards. This situation isn't much different than that. Anyone can transfer now, not just graduates. So any incoming freshman will be in the same situation as the guys who just played their first year. From a rules/eligibility standpoint, they're all in the same class.

Regardless of how you want to classify them, we have five players (three guards) with 4 years of eligibility. Even if last year's freshmen do leave after their 4th year, we are still loaded with guards for the next several years. It's going to be tough to recruit to that position. We're talking to another guard with 4 years. If we used our remaining scholarships (incl. Banks) to bring in a typical 3 man freshman class we would have eight!

This roster construction points toward transfers being pushed out in a couple years, or huge turnover in 4 years with not much room for incoming freshmen until then (especially guards). It can work, but it's not ideal. Right now it seems like it could work because we're assuming a SG will get significant minutes at SF. And since these guys are all young, we're probably going to have to continue doing that for several years. If DDJ leaves but we want to bring in McMillan at point, we're right back to the same situation.
I agree with your concern about recruiting future guards so you probably don't take many unless they are named Paul M...etc.

But even though CWM talks about players not transferring I would imagine we could still see 1 or 2 rather than 4 or 5. Especially from the guard stable. And even more especially if we land another guard/wing this year.

I am also quite sure Wes has had a conversation with DD about how he's going to have to keep recruiting until he hears about two feet in. If he hears two feet in from DD then we probably start focusing on bigs and maybe still a wing/guard but not a PG.